Anyone in Socal with a roof top tent

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for all the replies, I appreciate all the offers.

Looks like you can now rent an RTT (Maggiolina) or teardrop trailer. They also have accessories to rent like fridges. Their prices are reasonable. Check them out: http://www.rentoffthegrid.com/ I have no affiliation with them and haven't used them but it seems like a good deal to try them out.

I looked more into renting as I saw Tepui also offers rentals, but the more I thought about it I think maybe I'm better off buying. My plan was to buy one before October to use in the Mojave this year, and possibly doing a short pre-trip just to test it out before. So at that point I was already looking at spending $200-$300 in rental fees. What really started this whole search was finding an open box demo tent on Craigslist for $500. I was gonna jump on it, I figured if I didn't like it I could sell it for a loss, and it'll still be less than rental fees. Unfortunately I missed out on that deal, but it's too late, I've basically convinced myself I need to get one anyway.

Definitely keep us posted on your findings and decisions as I too have thought about a RTT but haven't pulled the trigger so far- having a dog plus three people complicates things in my case.

Definitely will keep you guys posted. I'm kinda in the same boat, I have 2 kids, a wife, and a German Shepherd. That's why I've been leaning torwards getting something with the additional annex (aka Tepui Autana/ARB III style) as opposed to a hard shell tent. I've been doing a lot of reading, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

1. Can the annex be used as a second tent? I don't see any reason why not, except for maybe the ladder getting in the way. My thoughts are right now it's usually just me and my son, so I wouldn't need to bring the annex and can leave it at home. When the both kids get a little older and the whole family goes camping, the kids can sleep in the tent, the grown ups in the annex. In the distant future if it's just the wife and I, or just me, I can remove the annex or bring it for the dog.

2. Does the annex have an opening on the vehicle side so it can be accessed? There's really not much info about them on a lot of the websites, so I don't know if that's standard on all models or not.

3. It looks like ladder on the Tepui would be more convenient than some of the others brands since I wouldn't need an extension, anyone have experience with both?

4. Can the tent be setup to flip over the hood with a shortened ladder? Not sure if I want to do it that way, but just debating all my options if I want to set it up without having any ground attachments.

5. Do the tents with the additional extension block out a lot of light vs. one of the shorter ones like the Ayer/Kakaku? Can it be flipped up out of the way if you wanted maximum ventalation/visibility?

I'm sure I could probably answer most of my own questions after seeing one in person. Unfortunately, what I thought would be a cheap $500 tent a few days ago is now up to a $1600 tent to get the one that I really want.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
What are the top negatives with a RTT?

Time to set up (very subjective). Flippacks and campers are probably quicker. Tents are probably slower. (so the RTT is somewhere in the middle)
Can be noisy in windy conditions (which are often prevalent in the Calif. deserts).
Raises vehicle Center of Gravity.
Increased drag while driving (lowers MPG).

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Time to set up (very subjective). Flippacks and campers are probably quicker. Tents are probably slower. (so the RTT is somewhere in the middle)
Can be noisy in windy conditions (which are often prevalent in the Calif. deserts).
Raises vehicle Center of Gravity.
Increased drag while driving (lowers MPG).

Your comments depend on the model and type. I have a Maggiolina Airlander. It sets up in under 2 minutes. It tears down in under 5 minutes. It is never noisy in the wind and I have been in some nasty stuff in the Anza-Borrego Desert. It does raise the COG which at 128 pounds plus another 60 for my Bajarack can make for some interesting off camber runs. I've only lost 1 MPG with my FJ and the RTT before I did the lift and MT tires but still getting around 15 MPG with all my mods. Certainly better gas mileage than using a trailer of any type. It's a good trade off for me.

I have a Maggiolina Airlander too, (Small), on my XJ and am in Covina if you want to take a look. Got it on ebay (like new) for about 1/2 price of new. Best investment I ever made. Yea, the off-camber stuff can be a challenge sometimes, but can be offset (to a degree) with some driving experience and good judgement. As for MPG, it hurt it some, but lets face it, an XJ is still just a brick flying down the freeway :ylsmoke: . I made a swing-up rack for my Confer rack, lol, because I didn't want to give up my Viper Rocket case (water/dust-proof) in which I store (well, you name it) for my overland travel.

The nice thing about it, is that I have access to my rack whether the tent is deployed or not. It just swings up and uses the same gas struts that the stock hatch uses. In my mind, the Maggiolina also has an advantage over other RRT's, in that I can move or re-orient my jeep with relative ease to a better spot within my campsite (or with-in a reasonable distance), without having to collapse the tent.

96Jeep002.jpg

96Jeep006.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Your comments depend on the model and type. I have a Maggiolina Airlander. It sets up in under 2 minutes. It tears down in under 5 minutes. It is never noisy in the wind and I have been in some nasty stuff in the Anza-Borrego Desert. It does raise the COG which at 128 pounds plus another 60 for my Bajarack can make for some interesting off camber runs. I've only lost 1 MPG with my FJ and the RTT before I did the lift and MT tires but still getting around 15 MPG with all my mods. Certainly better gas mileage than using a trailer of any type. It's a good trade off for me.

True. The Maggiolina's are almost in a class by themselves being a hard top. They have the disadvantage of very small deployed real estate. All options are a mix of compromises.

Speaking of which... One major choice you have to make is do you want/need enclosed stand up headroom. Some RTT allow an enclosed room under the flip open portion. Some of these are NOT accessible without going outside (ladder is outside the enclosed room) and some enclose the ladder with an extended main tent canopy providing access and a larger annex.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have a Maggiolina Airlander too, (Small), on my XJ and am in Covina if you want to take a look. Got it on ebay (like new) for about 1/2 price of new. Best investment I ever made. Yea, the off-camber stuff can be a challenge sometimes, but can be offset (to a degree) with some driving experience and good judgement. As for MPG, it hurt it some, but lets face it, an XJ is still just a brick flying down the freeway :ylsmoke: . I made a swing-up rack for my Confer rack, lol, because I didn't want to give up my Viper Rocket case (water/dust-proof) in which I store (well, you name it) for my overland travel.

The nice thing about it, is that I have access to my rack whether the tent is deployed or not. It just swings up and uses the same gas struts that the stock hatch uses. In my mind, the Maggiolina also has an advantage over other RRT's, in that I can move or re-orient my jeep with relative ease to a better spot within my campsite (or with-in a reasonable distance), without having to collapse the tent.

96Jeep002.jpg

96Jeep006.jpg

OK now I'm curious. The instructions for the Maggiolina RTTs state that you should not move the vehicle even to relocate a small distance. Have you had any issues with relocating the vehicle with the tent open or opening it on the lift system you are using? I always lower mine if I need to move the vehicle.

bob91yj

Resident **************
What are the top negatives with a RTT?

1. Sometimes you end up camping in the parking lot while all of your buddies in tents are in the camp area.
2. You have to put everything away to go any where.

I have the same challenges with my slide in truck camper. My solution is to tow a whole 'nother vehicle out with me!

189122_1775156870509_1586948477_1693589_2990279_n.jpg

OK now I'm curious. The instructions for the Maggiolina RTTs state that you should not move the vehicle even to relocate a small distance. Have you had any issues with relocating the vehicle with the tent open or opening it on the lift system you are using? I always lower mine if I need to move the vehicle.

Never had an issue at all with either. It's not like I'm rock crawling with it up, :jumping: , lol. That's just a disclaimer IMO, for liability purposes. If they didn't state that, I can see some yahoo running some trail with it up and want them to warrant it when they tweak the frame or scissor assembly. I'm simply talking about repossitioning it due to the sun, shade, wind, etc. or moving a short span to a better, more level, and/or convienient location.
I do take care, obviously, and go slow
:26_16_2: .

As for tilting it back when it's up to gain access to the rack, again, no issues. Think of it this way, ..... the tent is design to withstand certain horizontal forces (mainly wind and wind gusts). I've been in some pretty windy conditions out in the desert (as have you).... gusts I would imagine to 25 - 40 mph, and really rocked the Jeep with no ill effects. If it couldn't stand being tilted at a static force equal to about 35-45 degrees without damage, then it would be useless for what it was designed for. Make sense?

The main draw-back I've encountered with my set-up is when I go out hunting. It's a pain to get up and take it town at 4am in the morning (half awake) so I can drive to the area I'll be hunting, while other guys with tent trailers or other set-ups, sit around drinking coffee, watching me :coffee: That's why I'll be eventually go with a trailer set-up, so I can unhook and go! :bike_rider:

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer

If you go directly to the factory to get your Flippac they drive it from the back of the building to the front parking lot (which is a tripof about a block on the streets) to give you your "orientation" on how to open and close it. I asked them about that and they pointed out, "It's supposed to survive high winds so what's the difference". Point taken! Of course with the Maggiolina the hard top mass is up there and hitting bumps and violently rocking the vehicle puts very different loads into the structure but for wind, should be fine.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
SouthWestChuck.. I think I have seen your rig in Covina downtown....

Ducktape, Im in the Covina area as well.

Frank

SouthWestChuck.. I think I have seen your rig in Covina downtown....

Ducktape, Im in the Covina area as well.

Frank

That was probably me. Not too many XJ's quite like mine around, ha ha. You caught me on one of rare trips to Starbucks most likely. The rack is painted red since that pic was taken though, and I've also made and installed a front receiver mounted gas can / battery rack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles