DHS raids home to seize old Land Rover...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Makes me wonder if getting an old Hillux or Surf when they are of age would subject me to the same treatment...

Only if the importer gives them reasonable cause to suspect fraud. If they are on the up & up and everything checks out, zero worries... everything is 100% legal and by the book. Make sure you use a importer that is licensed, bonded, insured and reputable within the community.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
be afraid of the DHS....very very afraid of where we are going in the nanny state

I303

InfoWars is Full of Fail

Info Wars is full of fail.

The agency in charge of importation and exportation is DHS, specifically CBP at the borders and HSI away from the borders. Formerly U.S. Customs and the "C" in CBP is..... customs.

Seizing a vehicle that did not go through CBP is not a raid. But once you try to register is, and this shows to be the case, CBP or HSI will get the vehicle if it's OBVIOUS a person didn't bother to file the necessary importation docs. And if it isn't in a garage or fenced lot, it can be towed w/o a warrant. Any police agency can do that. Also bank repo. And getting a warrant if it is in view isn't hard to get and generally required otherwise it would be an unlawful seizure. This was purely an administrative seizure. No criminal charges. Its the same thing when a cop tows a vehicle for failure to be registered, suspended license, etc.

Every country with importation laws (customs) is subject to importation tax and pretty much every country do the exact same thing. The difference is the U.S. typically have the lowest duty taxes and lax importation laws.

And let's not forget, the first LE agency in the U.S. was U.S. Customs. They've done the exact thing we see here in the late 1700's. Back then, U.S. Customs seized slaves if duty were not paid. Anyone here from Charleston who would like to share some U.S. Customhouse history?

I fail to understand how folks have a problem with the government seizing a vehicle that wasn't imported properly. Is there a country which doesn't require vehicle registration? And since we all, and I mean 100% of forum members here, have to register a vehicle, and pay all fees and taxes associated with registering a vehicle, why the sympathy for the owners?

If they were duped by the seller, they need to sue them. And be cognizant from who you buy a vehicle. If I know FJ70 Land Cruisers are not sold in the US I will sure as heck research this before I plop money on one. Make that darn sure if I plop $60K on a foreign vehicle I don't typically see in the U.S. My gut tells me they knew the vehicle didn't come into the U.S. properly and they gambled on it. From what I've heard elsewhere, VINS were swapped to try and get it in. I'm pretty sure a vehicle with a swapped VIN would result in it being seized/impounded pretty much anywhere to include 3rd world crap holes.

I'm no fan of the "man" in my business. But I do believe in following the law. If I don't like the law I will do what I can to change the law.
And I won't fall for BS news either.

ETA: Looking at the other thread, bad dealer/duped buyers. AND the USAO/OCAO is working with the buyers. Looking like crim charges coming down on the seller. Again, buyer beware. I change my stance to say I empathize with the buyers and typically it would have been a buyer or potential buyer who lodge a complaint with HSI who in turn will investigate and find other illegally imported Defenders. Unfortunately to build a case you will need to seize the vehicles. And what happens next is usually the buyers complain but at the same time they give incriminating statements about the seller and charges are filed. Then after a loooong process, hopefully there is money, cars, house to be seized, sold by the "man" and proceeds go back to the victim. I will say more than likely they won't get all their money back.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Thats the thing about infowars, they make brash headlines about something and more times that Not upon looking further into the matter its not some extreme thing like they are sensationalizing.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

overactor

Observer
Ive been wanting a defender for the longest. I have a friend stationed over seas will be there a long while. Id like to import it like we do with some of our rally cars. Able to bring it in yet remain registered in the other country not to perminately reside here.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Ive been wanting a defender for the longest. I have a friend stationed over seas will be there a long while. Id like to import it like we do with some of our rally cars. Able to bring it in yet remain registered in the other country not to perminately reside here.

Works great for 364 days, then it needs to leave the US for at least an oil change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz