Built a rack for my '02 Dodge 1/2 ton

fastestz1000

So I have lurked here a long time but never started a thread. I currently own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. My wife and I used to camp quite a bit before our son was born 5 years ago. We had a 95 4runner on 35's with gears, lockers, etc. That rig was sold before our child was born and now we have our current truck. It get's horrible fuel millage but has the room we need.

We have not been camping since our boy arrived so It's time to change that. I plan on turning the1394217_10201474105427718_815489286_n.jpgIMG_1247.jpgIMG_1248.jpgIMG_1249.jpg pig of a Dodge into a family camping rig. It's bone stock other than I recently cranked the torsion bars for a 2" front end level and put longer Rancho 9000's on it front and year. I then got rid of the stock 20" rims and bought some American Outlaw 17" rims with 315/70/R17 Duratrack tires.

I just completed a spare tire/jerry can/ CB antenna rack at the front of the bed and installed a CB. I am slowly building this truck and will post to this thread as I go

Attachments

• IMG_1246[1].jpg
    IMG_1246[1].jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 70

superbuickguy

Explorer
I shouldn't have drank so much beer when I built it ;)

why not? In the future, someone will develop a device that takes a person's natural desire to correct everything around them and makes them focus solely on that item. Once the person is suitably distracted, one can hide all manner of other things from them. Camouflage would no longer be necessary, ninjas could wear jeans and a Merle Haggard shirt, stealth fighters would be replaced with F4 Phantoms. Best of all, world peace would be achieved because people would stop noticing useless things. By drinking beer and placing the antenna slight off-center, you've totally distracted him from noticing that your truck is painted pink.

fastestz1000

I took the family on a week long camping trip with the truck to three different camping spots. The tuck worked well but I think I need to re-gear it for the larger tires to get some of the power back. My wife and I are also considering a pop up camp trailer. I think my next items to build are rock sliders and on board air.

fastestz1000

Sorry, the pictures are out of order. The specs:

This main cradle that holds the winch is 1/4 inch
Everything else is 3/16
The winch is a 12,000 lb Smitty built

I still have to do all the final welding, grinding, sanding, powdercoating, etc.

rparker762

Observer
Good looking truck. Keep the mods coming. I have an 03 QCSB and there isn't much out there that I have found in the way of usable mods.

ramatl73

Observer
So I have lurked here a long time but never started a thread. I currently own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. My wife and I used to camp quite a bit before our son was born 5 years ago. We had a 95 4runner on 35's with gears, lockers, etc. That rig was sold before our child was born and now we have our current truck. It get's horrible fuel millage but has the room we need.

We have not been camping since our boy arrived so It's time to change that. I plan on turning theView attachment 238114View attachment 238109View attachment 238113View attachment 238111 pig of a Dodge into a family camping rig. It's bone stock other than I recently cranked the torsion bars for a 2" front end level and put longer Rancho 9000's on it front and year. I then got rid of the stock 20" rims and bought some American Outlaw 17" rims with 315/70/R17 Duratrack tires.

I just completed a spare tire/jerry can/ CB antenna rack at the front of the bed and installed a CB. I am slowly building this truck and will post to this thread as I go

How did you run your co-axial cable for the CB? About to install an old Uniden in my 2011 Ram and will mount it just like yours, just trying to figure out how to run the antenna cable.

Thanks. Good looking truck!
C

fastestz1000

Yeah, I haven't found much about our trucks either.

I ran the coax through the lower door opening trim and out a hole I drilled at the lower edge of the back of the cab, installed a boot there and then through a drain hole at the corner of the bed, and then to my rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94