Need help on deciding a good starting vehicle.

Campbulance

Observer
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself and get some advice on where to start. I have become very interested in getting into a camper van type, and need some advice on a ground vehicle to start with. So lets get this started.

My Purpose:
1. I want to start doing track days with another vehicle. My concern is that eventually my vehicle could break at the track and not be able to be driven home. So the first requirement is it needs to be able to tow a vehicle on a trailer. Distances are probably about a 500 mile range.
2. Along with 1, I want to camp at the track since they have camp sites at most of them. If not on site, they are close by.
3. I want to start taking my dog to agility events. We are in the process of the training and want to go far with it. So it has to accommodate my dog as well.

Wants/Requirements:
1. Diesel engine for towing.
2. Space to set up for camper.
3. Dog to be in the vehicle and not locked by himself (read joined cab to camper body).
4. Entry price to be $15k or less.

My ideas.
The vehicle I started off considering was a 2004-2006 Express/Savana extended body with 6.6L Duramax. I like the extended wheelbase vs. the Ford. I have ruled out the 6.0L PSD due to nightmare stories, that I just prefer not to get into(can go 7.3 psd though). After I have spent some time searching I am leaning toward an ambulance based build. I love how they look with the boxes and they seem taller to start off with.

Questions:
How is it to be in a van with out a raised roof? I would love a pop top but they are hard to find and the price point of having one installed seems to be around 5k+vehicle cost.
I am going to look at a 2008 duramax cargo van for 10,900 but it has 220k miles. It looks very well maintained but I am unsure if the mileage is getting too high. Thoughts?
Pro's and Con's of cargo van based camper vs. ambulance based camper. I know weight is a factor for the Ambo. How much can you realistically gut and how much towing can you get out of it? I also like the medium duty truck based versions with diesels.
What are some other options you think I might like?

Thanks for any help and insight you can shine on this for me. I want to get a vehicle nailed down before I start asking quetions on how to build it. I am a decent DIY. Although I mostly have mechanics tools. I will have to purchase equipment for woodworking or welding(still learning but this could be a great oportunity).

Cole

Expedition Leader
How much does your trailer and race vehicle weigh?

What part of the world will you be towing it in?

How tall are you?

What kind of dog?

Campbulance

Observer
I have not bought a trailer yet but the cars I will be towing are mostly a 2200lb Civic and sometimes a 3500lb supra. I will most likely be going open dual axle trailer with brakes. Total planned weight I was hoping for about 6000 LB target.

I am California so mainly around these west coast. If I get into it enough perhaps venturing further out for camping.

I am 5'10" and may occasionally have a passenger.

My dog Thor, is a 60lb German/Australian Shepherd mix.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Having a high roof, or at least a Poptop (I own both) really transform a van into a nice livable space. Its hard to describe how much of a difference it makes being able to stand up inside. Totally changes it from "sleeping in a car" to "living in an RV/portable apartment)

Also drastically changes the airflow options for keeping a dog cool!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've got a 97 E350/Crestline ambulance. Ceiling height is about 5'8"... I'm 6'4" so standing is ok, but not ideal. There is lots of space for 2+ dog... There not tow rated with the ambulance package, but the Base Van is rated to tow 10,000 lbs. I understand they tow well. Empty, it weighs 8500 lbs.

In the last month, I've seen several of the retired BC Ambulances sell between 2500 and 3500 at auction. They've been well maintained, and have life left in them... But likely have about 150,000-200,000 miles on them.

I'm happy with the 7.3 PSD... Also wouldn't want a 6.0.

Good luck.
There's a camperized one in the Vans for sale thread for 5K, it's set up for WVO.

Hood luck

Campbulance

Observer
Having a high roof, or at least a Poptop (I own both) really transform a van into a nice livable space. Its hard to describe how much of a difference it makes being able to stand up inside. Totally changes it from "sleeping in a car" to "living in an RV/portable apartment)

Also drastically changes the airflow options for keeping a dog cool!

I agree and is the reason I am considering an ambulance. I suppose I will have to do a cost benefit analysis of Van with poptop vs ambulance. It is my hope that I can install an AC in the vehicle that can run if I have to leave him in the vehicle for any reason. Is it possible to get one efficient enough running off solar and battery? I would figure if you are hooked up to shore power it would not be an issue.

I've got a 97 E350/Crestline ambulance. Ceiling height is about 5'8"... I'm 6'4" so standing is ok, but not ideal. There is lots of space for 2+ dog... There not tow rated with the ambulance package, but the Base Van is rated to tow 10,000 lbs. I understand they tow well. Empty, it weighs 8500 lbs.

In the last month, I've seen several of the retired BC Ambulances sell between 2500 and 3500 at auction. They've been well maintained, and have life left in them... But likely have about 150,000-200,000 miles on them.

I'm happy with the 7.3 PSD... Also wouldn't want a 6.0.

Good luck.
There's a camperized one in the Vans for sale thread for 5K, it's set up for WVO.

Hood luck

Do ambulances come with varying roof heights? It appears that some boxes appear to be taller than others. I also figure I would have to do the calculations on tow capacity to really determine the capability. I still have more to learn.

Do you go to these auctions at all? I found one in BC that has caught my eye but wonder how difficult it is to import to the US.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
I'm pretty happy with my ambulance so far.
1995 mini-mod quigley

I'm 5'8. The box height has not been a problem. Some people on here have extended their tops in different ways.

I'm leaving mine as is and putting some racks up top at some point.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've seen different specs on heights inside. Mine is a Crestline New Era. The ones I've seen have all been online auctions. I've not bid on anything recently. I've seen the Vehicles in Victoria, however the ones in New Westminster and Surrey are 3 hrs away at a cost of $100 each way. I found mine privately on Vancouver Island. Ambity (sp) is over in that area (more or less).

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Importing to the US shouldn't be too hard, but I don't know all the legalities. Being in California may pose some problems as they may not be California emissions compliant... But I don't know anything about your local rules and if diesels are different.

Campbulance

Observer
Importing to the US shouldn't be too hard, but I don't know all the legalities. Being in California may pose some problems as they may not be California emissions compliant... But I don't know anything about your local rules and if diesels are different.

Thanks, although we have some crummy smog laws here diesel can be more lenient especially if you are older than 98 there are none. I have been intrigued with some of the older medium duty truck based ambulances as well. They just look tough, menacing and just plain cool. However might be overkill and not have much resale value down the line.

Grab an E350 with the gas V10. It will tow 10k without breaking a sweat and reliability is excellent.

R

I have no doubts that the v10 can pull with ease and are reliable engines, my searches have shown that at as well. I just worry about gas mileage. Do you have one, and can tell me what they get towing some weight? I know wind resistance and load make a difference, just looking for a ball park. I have seen reports as low as 6-7 mpg loaded and even unloaded down in the low teens.

I wish I lived in a perfect world. There are things I love and hate about each van. I love the looks of the ford but in extended version I dislike the wheelbase and prefer the chevy/gmc extended bodies. I like the duramax diesel from my limited research, but then the vans don't use the Alison trans like the trucks do. I like the 7.3 PSD but they have one less gear than the 6.0l PSD. Stop the insanity.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have no complaints with the 4 speed auto in the E350. I'm curious why, but the Ambulance service labels say turn off OD... On the highway, speed is significantly limited without it. At 70 mph, RPMs are well within comfortable limits.

Anyone know why they'd want OD turned off? Is it a trans thing? EGT?

UJoint seems to feel 6.0s can be modified to be good... Although 7.3s are better stock.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
As some one who works on an ambulance and has in several states I can drop some info on you.
First stay away from any ambulance with the v10 in it. They are a true gutless wonder with all of the added weight of the ambulance box and wind resistance the MPG are crap.
like 6-7 MPG around town crap. Mind you We are not driving like miss dasiy but still..... They leave much to be desired.

Second, the problem with ambulances is that they they get cycled out of service there is most often a reason. These trucks run around the clock and get beat on they have dozens of drivers who care more about getting there fast then respecting the rig. This often means they have had transmission work done suspension work break work etc. When they are finally cycled out they are tired. While 200k on a 7.3 might not be much for a pick up that 200k of really hard miles on an ambulance that often weighs upwards of 15k
if you are handy with a wrench you can find one and fix many things your self. A friend out here in idaho recently grabbed a mid 90's truck style with factory 4x4 and the 7.3 with less then 150k on the clock for five grand. He searched for five years. I am not saying that there are no good ambulances out there I am just sayign know what you are getting into. the key s to look for a majro city that has strict cycling with their rigs that says they get rid of them at a certin point no matter what, or look online for a small town rig with lower miles that might be older but odds are has been taken better care of.
good luck

Cole

Expedition Leader
Just to add a few more things to consider on an ambulance. In some jurisdictions they run 24/7. Sitting and idling all day and all night while waiting for a call, at a scene, at the hospital, etc.

So not just abused while in motion.

200k miles may equal FAR more run time than other cars with 200k of mixed highway/city driving.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
BC Ambulance service retires their rigs by 200,000 miles. Most seem to have 6-7000 hrs on them. Policy is to retire them at age 8, but the ones recently auctioned ranged from 2001-2006 models. Most are from smaller communities, and have likely been only driven by a handful of drivers... But they are work vehicles. They're maintained by a government agency that has deepish pockets... Tires are changed before 50% wear, alternators by hours or miles driven, regular oil changes, well maintained by professionals. That said they've seen a harder life, but at least not run into the ground by a for profit company.

I chose to take my chances with one I bought for a song... It looks to be well maintained, and for what I paid, I'll fix things that break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz