Need input for GPS units for iPads

gstrange

I was reading earlier posts regarding GPS apps for iPads and they seemed a little dated. I was wondering what is the easiest app to use on an iPad and won't break the bank for the downloads and use. I'll be using the iPad in my 4x4 to drive back roads, trails, to remote camping sites. I would appreciated any and all information regarding what you are using, reliability and function. Thanks in advance for your help!

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
Gaia GPS. Just got back from a week in the Sierras and was really impressed with the upgrades in the app and the website. Was traveling with a friend using his Garmin and while he was trying to navigate his device with lots of expletives, I had already started my iPhone 4 with Gaia and was on the trail. Lots of neat features.

gstrange

Gaia GPS. Just got back from a week in the Sierras and was really impressed with the upgrades in the app and the website. Was traveling with a friend using his Garmin and while he was trying to navigate his device with lots of expletives, I had already started my iPhone 4 with Gaia and was on the trail. Lots of neat features.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will check this product out!

engineerd

Desk Jockey
I like MotionX. You can plan a trip on your computer, load the waypoints and tracks into it via iTunes, download maps so you can see where you're at outside cell coverage, and go! One of the shortcomings I found on my trip last weekend was having a bigger screen like an iPad will help a ton.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I use an app called Topo Maps that uses USGS maps. Not perfect, but works for me. Maps are free and can be downloaded in-app. I have GPS built in mine, so not sure how well it would interface with an external unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles