Fuso and the Colorado Alpine Loop?

Keyne

Adventurer
Wondering if a Fuso (e.g. Earthcruiser or ATW) would be able to "fit" on the narrow and low sections of the Alpine Loop in Colorado. Are they too wide or too tall? I have never been there but that set of trails is on my list of areas I would like to explore. Not sure if a Fuso camper would be able to do it or if something smaller would be required.

Last edited:

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I think it could be possible but it would be a nightmare if you met other vehicles that needed to pass you. There are some spots that you might need to get creative with as well. If you did try I'd make sure to start out of Silverton and come through Animas Forks. Coming from Ouray via Mineral creek would be really tough and I'm not sure if it could be done.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
There are some extreamly tight turns on some of those passes. Beyond that I think any of the mass produced fuso campers could make the trip if they have 4x4. (Not hard, but steep sections with soft gravel require 4x4, as well as steep uphill tight turns.)

I would likely go for it, but then again renting a jeep there is really not very expensive, so unless you intend to exit the area via the loop, or to camp overnight, most of it should be very easy for you.

Regards,

Jonny

Observer
Alpine Loop Fuso

After the Overland Expo in May, we went to Colorado and made it as far as Animus Forks where the trail was closed do to snow. We do not think the Alpine Loop would be a problem for the ATW Fuso, as this is a forest service maintained trail. In the first photo you can see one of the abandoned structures at the base of the Alpine Loop in Animus Forks.

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

www.allterrainwarriors.com

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
We made it up to Animas Forks in our wide, heavy 2wd Mercedes truck. People told us that it get's steeper and narrower beyond there so we spent the night in the town and headed back to Silverton in the morning.

Randallausdran

I live in a Fuso camper in silverton and use my dirtbike all the time on the alpine loop so I feel I have been able to get a good idea if the camper could make it. I have a 2 wheel drive FH on military 37s. I'm not saying it isn't possible as far as width but the 4x4 is a must just bc of some of the rockier sections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne