Recommendations for vehicle rentals in the north of Austrailia

waterweber

Observer
Hi all,
Looking for some advice on vehicle rental in the north. Planning on doing a few weeks in Kakadu and the Kimberlys next May. I am looking for a fully outfitted 4x4 that we can camp out of. Experienced with off-road, remote travel and self-drive style trips. I found a few companies through Google, just looking for any advice or first hand experience.
Suggestions on itineraries are also welcome.
Thanks

Rumpig

Adventurer
can't help with having hired one myself as i own my own fourby and camping gear here, but Britz seems to be a pretty common choice for some i've seen getting around here in Australia http://www.britz.com.au/campervans-australia/Pages/challenger-2-berth-4wd-camper.aspx maybe jump over to this forum http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Default.aspx?pn=1 and ask the question also, it's a bit of a grey nomads forum, but they might be able to help you out with the answer you are seeking.
need more info on where you plan to fly into or hire vehicle from to help with itineray though.

waterweber

Observer
Thanks Rumpig. We are in the initial planning phase now so totally open to suggestions. Thinking about flying into Darwin and spending a few weeks up there. I will keep the thread updates as the planning progresses.
I will check out exploreoz.

Rumpig

Adventurer
there's plenty of "must sees" up Darwin way.... the main tourist icons like Litchfield National Park and Kakadu for a start, and if you can do part of The Savanah Way down towards Lorella Springs it'll give a taste of outback driving, there's some magical places about that area well worth visiting. I'll post a link to a trip report i posted up on this forum of a trip we did to Darwin a few years back, keep in mind we live in Brisbane and only had 5 weeks to travel nearly 10000klms on our holiday, we only briefly explored most areas that we visited, you can easily kill off 2 weeks just visiting a few of the main places properly. Much of Litchfield and Kakadu is able to be accessed via bitumin road, but there are areas to explore you'll need a 4wd for also, just make sure you check the season you will go in, as to late in the year it's the wet season and before that (like when we were there in September) it gets very hot and you'll not feel like walking around very much in the hot sun. I work outdoors in warmish / hot temperatures in Summer in Brisbane, and even i couldn't be bothered going anywhere during one day when we were in Kakadu due to the heat...the Northern Territory gets bloody hot!!! they "average" over 30 degrees celcius all year round up there.
Here's some light reading for you that may help with your planning..... http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-to-Darwin-and-back-again?highlight=brisbane

Last edited:

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
If you do a quick google search for "Australian 4wd rental" there are heaps of options that come up. Some of these guys have some really nicely set up cars. Try and find a diesel would be my only recommendation. generally more reliable and better fuel economy when loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles