RAGBRAI report: 2,400+ highway miles, bicycle ride across Iowa, 7 days camping

DVD

Adventurer
This was a different kind of adventure. The only offroad was a 3 mile shortcut on a gravel road when the interstate was closed and the official detour was on a paved country road. But with 2400+ miles on the Land Rover and a week of camping and outdoor adventure, I figure this qualifies for a report.

Data (from trip computer - mileage seems pretty accurate based on visual check with highway mile-post indicators)
  • Total trip miles: 2467.3
  • Avg MPG: 18.1 This was better than I expected! I kept most of my mileage-busting off-road extras (needed the roof rack and too much work to remove skid plates). I did buy an extra set of 18" rims off Craigslist and a decent set of std size highway friendly tires (from Expo sale) and used those instead of the oversized 265/65/18 BFG AT's I usually run. I think that helped MPG.
  • Avg speed: 56.9. That is avg. of 75 mph on interstate, 70-75 on 2 lane highways (speed limit out west), and stop and slow through towns along the way.

Part 1: Driving from AZ to IA.
Loaded the LR3 with 5 bikes, 3 sets of camping gear (for wife and me, daughter and son-in-law, and son), and clothes and miscellaneous for the trip.

DSCN0880.JPG

Bikes and gear packed with room for 5 people

Road trippin' photos below

yj8KM8sPomQgN0Me2CXIli-wgkHVOHHEiZtZrOsbxjg=w718-h535-no

-ht9EUx1Ngzx4jB90-WtzuRjszsNPXUmnYlURXPlY0I=w400-h225-p-no

9DujZshp7myziS4e__O2pWNOuEpRMWL_UowvVVZ1GzA=w401-h225-p-no

s8IxCVBkcSoD-XidJkvKclv46OpkjYEGsI23NDyhxts=w400-h225-p-no

DSCN0902.JPG

Windmills in the mist

Our kids flew in to Omaha, and we picked them up en-route to the bike ride start in northwest IA (at the town of Rock Valley). I dropped off people and gear at the start town and continued driving across IA, so I could leave my vehicle at the end town, on the eastern border of IA (at the town of Guttenberg on the Mighty Mississippi). Then I re-traversed the state in a bus with other RAGBRAI participants to get back to the start town. Ragbrai is an acronym for Register's Great Annual Bike Ride Across Iowa.

i31CseO5J-W1EWDWbPq-7ttmyO7m5VYPVcX3TLIMwqA=w714-h535-no

I hitched a ride on the "Team Fly" bus. They came from Tennessee for the ride. Fun bunch.

Part 2: Cycling / camping trip across Iowa.

After all that driving around, I was glad for the ride to begin.

DSCN1001.JPG

Typical riding day scene

What's for breakfast? Pancakes or waffles?

DSCN0994.JPG

This pancake tent sets up everyday near the start

DSCN1006.JPG

There is also a waffle vendor

Every pass-through town has lots of eating and entertainment opportunities.

DSCN0931.JPG

All star wrestling in the beer garden area

DSCN0938.JPG

Typical town scene

DSCN0960.JPG

Toilet tossing

20140722_084808.jpg

Scandinavian heritage in Ringsted

This farm house offered free beer and a water slide. Couldn't pass that up.

DSCN0936.JPG

Cold water and beer

On a similar note, the IA Craft Brewers set up a roadside stand every day.

DSCN0983.JPG

Pause that refreshes

At the end of the day, we find our support trucks and set up camp

DSCN0992.JPG

Typical camp scene

Repeat the above for 7 days/nights, throw in many pies, some rain, headwinds, and pork chops, and that give a pretty good idea of what the ride is like.

Part 3: Return to AZ
This was pretty anticlimatic. After riding multiple days, your metabolism keeps going for a few days, so we took advantage of foodie opportunities on the return trip.

DSCN1033.JPG

Breitbach's in IA - featured in documentary "Spinning Plates." I recommend the 20 oz prime rib.

20140727_125830.jpg

Arthur Bryant's Barbeque in Kansas City

In summary, a great trip, and humans and machines all performed well.
For anyone interested, here's a link to a blog with more of the cycling/ragbrai slant: http://dirkvandyke.blogspot.com/2014/08/ragbrai-2014.html

Last edited:

EmeraldCheetah

Im glad someone posted their Ragbrai adventure. I just joined this forum because I want to get a vehicle to camp in that my wife can sag for me. What team do you ride/sag with? My family is from Omaha. Team Granny Gear.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Very very cool adventure. Here in Colorado they have a Ride the Rockies every summer. Love that man in the Viking helmet and blond braids.

shawnr

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like you had a great time. I hope you enjoyed your time here in Iowa.

DVD

Adventurer
Hi Cheetah, See you on the ride some year. This was the 5th time for my wife and me, 4th for the kids (now grown). But we don't go every year.
We went with Cedar Valley Cyclists club/charter. They are on the smaller/cheaper end of the scale, well organized, and a good bunch. At the end of each day, there's always a big shade tent, a cooler of cold beverages, and solar shower stalls. They are out of Waterloo, IA, but they have a significant percentage of non-locals for RAGBRAI.

Shawn, loved the scenery and hospitality - both are big reasons we come back.

After posting this, I was trying to imagine what something similar would be for Expo. 10,000 rigs of every imaginable make and configuration going across Utah. Along the trail, bungee jumps off bridges, pie stands, bands and beer gardens. Expo vendors move each day to set up in the overnight rendezvous spot. Ridiculous and absurd and non-workable, whereas RAGBRAI is somehow only the former 2.

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Cool trip report. I live in Bettendorf Iowa which is along the Mississippi on the eastern side of the state. RAGBRAI is always an exciting time!

Blackwater

Im getting old! :(
Awesome Post!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Born and raised in DSM Iowa I have A LOT of family and friends who have participated.. Moving around multiple times through high school wasn't very conducive to joining in the event but its been on my list for some time.. My father and I are looking forward to driving my LC up there one of these years for the event..

Thanks for the refresher to get my butt up there for this!!! =]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne