Unusual dual purpose UK trailer build

neilstubbs

Sorry, final correction on the above, the 3500kg combined mam of vehicle and trailer is only for post 2013 licence holders, see below:

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
tow a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you'll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You'll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.

Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it's being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations
If you want to tow heavier combinations, you'll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You'll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.

So the good news is you can tow up to 750kg behind your hilux legally, and I'm legal towing my p7e behind my t5. :smiley_drive:

Samson360

Observer
So I'm starting to think as I passed in '98 that I can tow a combination that weighs no more than 3500kg. Think I'm gonna put my hilux on a weighbridge then 3500 minus the weight of my pickup should leave me with a decent amount of towing weight. Maybe the gross weight rule is only for people who passed from January 2013?
"tow a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)" this don't mention anything about gross weights.

NathanD

Lucky I passed my test in 1990 then!

I think the GD84 may end up being a bit big for some and too small for others but I wanted a braked one and as a "one trailer for (just about) all jobs" it should be fine.

The GDW is 1400kg but as was mentioned the empty weight is heavier than unbraked trailers - I drive a Forester so fuel consumption issues are slightly irrelevent....

Back to the sketching...

Nathan

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
I'm glad sometimes I'm an old git who passed yrs ago ......plus I've got class2 HGV as well so I'm covered.
Feel sorry you lot,the law is a joke and confusing.... Bear in mind though if you get stopped by Vosa then they take into account the plated gross weights of trailer and tow vehicle,not what it actually weighs at the time.... So you cannot tow a 3.5t trailer even if it's empty ...........

Samson360

Observer
Passed my B+E licence now so legal to tow a trailer up to 3500kg. Makes life a bit easy so not to bother about weights anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
weight wise if the frame was steel you would not need 50x50 section

-
even in alu

as long as the skin too added strength to the assembly

my offroad box was mostly 25x25 box with a odd piece of 50x25 arround the back door.

Paying some one is always going to run the costs up, you need to find a mate who welds and buy beer.

Getting offcuts from a steel supplier is usually way cheaper too, buying by its scrap value for short lengths rather than full 5 meter lengths

My whole trailer was bought by the lbs as scrap material

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior