Liquid fuel stoves - alternatives to coleman?

luckyjoe

Adventurer
...So my question is, if I get an adaptor for a bigger (5 or 10 lb) propane bottle will I get enough pressure for all three burners to have a decent flame at the same time, or does the propane regulator have the same pressure for the small bottles as the big bottles?

Ray,

We routinely run two 3-burner Coleman stoves, plus a lantern off one 20-lb. propane cylinder. We fit a Coleman tree to 20lb. tank, mount the lantern on top, and connect two stoves to the lower tree connections. No problems running all six burners, boiling, heating full-size cast iron griddles, and the lantern on full. We use the Coleman hoses that come with the stoves, that have the same thread as the little 1lb. green bottles - no regulator on the tank as it is built into the individual hose connections.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ray,

We routinely run two 3-burner Coleman stoves, plus a lantern off one 20-lb. propane cylinder. We fit a Coleman tree to 20lb. tank, mount the lantern on top, and connect two stoves to the lower tree connections. No problems running all six burners, boiling, heating full-size cast iron griddles, and the lantern on full. We use the Coleman hoses that come with the stoves, that have the same thread as the little 1lb. green bottles - no regulator on the tank as it is built into the individual hose connections.

Awesome. Is that a stove designed for propane? Or have you adapted an old 1960s white gas stove to propane as I have done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
so I switched from white gas to propane in the late 80's. for no other reason than the price. I found that for the same amount of dollars I could run the propane 2 -3 times longer. I do use a bulk tank. as far as butane forget it, no good in cold temps, not available in bulk, and have you ever tried to find those canisters in the sticks, unavailable where I go. highdesertranger

Depends where you are. For my trips through places like Borneo, China, etc, the little butane canisters are all that is available, other than bulk tank LNG, but they are available everywhere.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Jet fuel is just kerosene

If you are running a kerosene stove on jet fuel, you should try to use JP5 (jet B) if you can. It will burn cleaner and also flow better at low temps.

JP4 (jet A) will give you a bit more soot.

Use either in a well ventilated area (just like kerosene) as the fumes are not terribly good for you.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Jet fuel is not the same as k1. That is just silly. They are made to completely different standards. Jet fuel is cleaner.

I stand by the dragonfly though as being one most versatile stoves out there

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Jet fuel is not the same as k1. That is just silly. They are made to completely different standards. Jet fuel is cleaner.

I stand by the dragonfly though as being one most versatile stoves out there

Basically this is correct. Although Kerosene, jet fuel and diesel all have kerosene as the base. The difference is additives and refining.

Darrell

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yep. We could run Kerosene in our helicopters up north in an emergency, but there was a whole list of regulations that went along with it.
I've run diesel trucks and kerosene lanterns on jet fuel in the past. Only makes sense when you are getting it for free...

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Yep. We could run Kerosene in our helicopters up north in an emergency, but there was a whole list of regulations that went along with it.
I've run diesel trucks and kerosene lanterns on jet fuel in the past. Only makes sense when you are getting it for free...

In the winter they cut diesel with k1 here to help with the gel problem.

Likewise if you run out of heating oil you can dump k1 or diesel in there and run your furnace fine. If you were to take drag car designed to run on jet fuel or a motox bike that runs jet fuel and you were to dump diesel or k1 in it you would have a very very bad time

Beamer pilot

Explorer

Yep, I ran Arctic diesel in the Twin Otter many years ago quite often and also avgas BUT with limitations from Pratt&Wittney
That is why I kept 2 MSR Dragonflies in my survival bag they burn everything.
Still have one left.

Attachments

• Picture 353.jpg
    Picture 353.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 12

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yep, I ran Arctic diesel in the Twin Otter many years ago quite often and also avgas BUT with limitations from Pratt&Wittney
Still have one left.

Nice. Was that with Ken Borek? My brother used to fly with them, he's now with KFC.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Still have one left.

Same reasons I went with mine for backpacking. No matter where I go I can find something that it will burn. It also happens to be the same one I take with me on trips with my jeep, no need to buy a second stove just for me

Shoeman

Observer
We run a Century 2 burner propane. Very good heat control, and it'll boil water fast. Coffee and oatmeal water most mornings, dinner and hot dish water most evenings. I can get 6 or 7 days out of a 1lb bottle. Several years ago Harbor Freight sold a fitting that allowed you to refill the 1lb'rs from a 20lb. I have one and it works well. Of course DOT regs prohibit transport of refilled cylinders like that, so never take a refilled bottle on a trip ;-)

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Check out the older Svea 123 and Optimus 8R stoves. Super simple, made in Sweden, essentially unstoppable, and have been around for decades. My personal stove is an 1950's-vintage Svea 123. Fits in a USGI MOLLE canteen cover with a stainless cup and full repair kit in the unlikely event I need to tune it up in the field...Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94