Liquid fuel stoves - alternatives to coleman?

swduncan

Observer
Hi folks - are there any alternatives to coleman for a two burner liquid fuel stove that will burn unleaded fuel?

I haven't found any, but thought I'd ask here to be sure. I know that Optimus makes a small single burner, the hiker...giving that some thought.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Just this spring, I topped off both my white gas stoves from an gallon can of non Coleman white gas. Just looked in the garage to see if I still had the can laying around to get a name off of it. It might have been from Walmart, but it was at least 5 years ago when I purchased it. Works like a champ! If I figure out what brand or where I got from, I'll let you know.

swduncan

Observer
Martinjmpr - I've got a Coleman propane stove, and while it's ok, the simmer control is pretty bad. I also hate the 1lb cylinders. In looking for a 5lb refillable cylinder ($50 min) and a hose ($20) to go with it I realized I was spending nearly as much as a new stove, and still have poor simmer control. Or I could get a Camp chef, but then still be stuck with the 1lb containers.

So I was looking at liquid fuel stoves, and Coleman seems the only choice really if I want something stable enough for frying pans and regular cooking. I've got an MSR Whisperlite and a Trangia, and while both are nice for what they are, neither is well suited to family-style cooking.

Anyway, it seems everyone holds the new Coleman stoves in low regard, but navigating the various models of used stoves and finding one locally at a reasonable price is a hobby in itself ;-)

So I'm leaning toward either sticking with 1lb landfiller containers, or buying a new dual-fuel Coleman liquid fueled stove...unless there's another option out there.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Martinjmpr - I've got a Coleman propane stove, and while it's ok, the simmer control is pretty bad. I also hate the 1lb cylinders. In looking for a 5lb refillable cylinder ($50 min) and a hose ($20) to go with it I realized I was spending nearly as much as a new stove, and still have poor simmer control. Or I could get a Camp chef, but then still be stuck with the 1lb containers.

So I was looking at liquid fuel stoves, and Coleman seems the only choice really if I want something stable enough for frying pans and regular cooking. I've got an MSR Whisperlite and a Trangia, and while both are nice for what they are, neither is well suited to family-style cooking.

Anyway, it seems everyone holds the new Coleman stoves in low regard, but navigating the various models of used stoves and finding one locally at a reasonable price is a hobby in itself ;-)

So I'm leaning toward either sticking with 1lb landfiller containers, or buying a new dual-fuel Coleman liquid fueled stove...unless there's another option out there.

If you are not in a hurry, keep your eyes peeled weekly at your local Goodwill stores for the better quality older duel fuel Coleman stoves.
I have seen at least 5-6 come through ours, and snatched up one made in 1981 (Wichita Kansas) that was hardly ever used for a mere $7.99.
The paint on the fuel tank is perfect, all labels are original, only slight surface rust on the extreme edges of the green body.
The burners looked like they might have only a few tanks of fuel ran through them at most. No food or grease residue either.

Check garage sales too!

I'm currently on the lookout for an older Coleman duel fuel lantern to go with my new (old) stove. I'm tired of carrying around LP tanks, when I can just carry my easily refillable unleaded NATA fuel can.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If your objection is to the 1lb canisters, why not just get an adapter to use a standard 20lb barbecue propane tank? That's what we use on our propane stove. They're pretty cheap to fill and if you need to you can just exchange them at almost any grocery or discount store. We carry 1 1lb propane tank for emergencies and otherwise we just carry a 20lb cylinder in a milk-type crate in our teardrop. When we stop for the night the tank goes outside.

You can get an adapter almost anywhere, we got ours at Home Depot.

swduncan

Observer
The issue with a 20lb bottle is size and weight. Despite having a full size truck we have a space issue (3 kids, dog, wife and me).

I think I've found a used stove, probably not the size I need, but the price is right.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Strange this thread posted just as I pulled out an old (1980s) Colman Peak 1 this morning that had been stored from about 1989 for a neighbor's daughter to use.
I checked the fuel and got a hiss from the tank (still pressurized). Pump worked great and it works fine on 25 year old fuel after sitting for 25 year.
Man am I a believer in Coleman (old school) quality !

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just a heads up: White gas/Gasoline stoves aren't necessarily going to have any better simmer control than your propane stove.

I've used a variety of Dual-Fuel (coleman/gasoline) stoves in both 2- and 3-burner varieties and I've found the burners to all behave roughly the same. Relatively easy to light (with priming), and good heat output, but poor simmer control and poor warm re-light capability (i.e. boil water to make coffee, then 20 minutes later try to re-light the stove to make pancakes, the second light-off I can't get a clean flame, even if I attempt to re-prime, etc.)

I switched from coleman fuel to propane to solve the warm re-light problem, but still had problems not burning my eggs, etc.
I eventually switched from propane to a butane catering stove (the $20 ones) and I'm perfectly happy.

I've now switched to a different "dual fuel" catering stove that supports butane and propane, just in case I can't regularly find butane canisters, but so far it hasn't been an issue since a new can lasts multiple days.

I will hold on to at least one of my coleman/gasoline stoves for the rare cold-weather or high-altitude trip.

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
Coleman is by far the bests liquid fuel stove i own, (4) but for backpacking usage the only other stove i use apart from the single burner coleman is a an MSR dragonfly.

carbon60

Explorer
Love Butane catering stoves. Got my last one for $10, on clearance. Works incredibly well. By far the best "cooking" stove.

Unusable in the cold and impossible to repair in the field. Annoying canisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94