Grand Cherookee WK2 With or Without Air Suspension???

swrider

Observer
Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by.
The reason I wanted to start this thread was to find people's opinion on whether or not buying a GC with QuadraLift was a good option. I've heard nothing but good things about the GC capabilities on off-road situations and it seems like its a capable rig in stock form. But when the question comes up about aftermarket support, if you really need a lift kit, there are a couple available, from RRO and OME, but they both state that the lift kits are not meant to be used with air suspension GC's. But then again these lift kits only give you 2.5" of lift and basically leave the GC at a height equal to the full extension height of the air suspension...
So, is it really worth it to get the air suspension on GC, which gives you 11" of clearence at full extension but wont allow you to run bigger tires, or get a regular suspension rig and then add the lift kit, which will allow you to add larger tires???
Kind of confused as to what the better choice will be?
Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing.

Timgco

Adventurer
I just went through the same process you are now. I did NOT buy one with the Quadralift. If you buy with the QL option, you do get limited slip rear. But you also have an option that can leave you stranded too. If you run larger tires with QL and a bag goes out, your tires are stuffed. A coil is much more reliable. We just traded our 2010 Limited S with a Hemi. We replaced with a '14 GC Limited with the 3.6L/ 8 Speed. It has plenty of power. We almost bought with the Eco motor, but the price was up there. Make sure you do the upper control arms if you do lift yours. WE have done 4 at out shop, and they ride nice.

swrider

Observer
If you buy with the QL option, you do get limited slip rear. But you also have an option that can leave you stranded too. If you run larger tires with QL and a bag goes out, your tires are stuffed. A coil is much more reliable.
But how would you run larger tires in it? Leave the air suspension at full extension permenantly?

camodog

Adventurer
:lurk:

I have also wondered the same thing as the OP. I hope this thread stays on topic with real owners debating the QL or not option.

pennieslj

Observer
If you want to increase your tire size more than just a +1 you will have to go with coils and a lift. The QL can not be left in the lifted position all the time. I have a '14 with the ORA2 and the QL works very well for my needs.
DSC03838_zps53523e43.jpg

aristobrat

Observer
Is running the air suspension permanently in lift mode even an option? My roommates automatically lowers itself 1" when you put it in PARK, or go over a certain speed on the highway. It's kind of cool to see it lift itself when you get in and close the door. Weird to hear the compressor for the air suspension randomly cycle on when the vehicle's been parked for awhile though.

pennieslj

Observer
Is running the air suspension permanently in lift mode even an option? My roommates automatically lowers itself 1" when you put it in PARK, or go over a certain speed on the highway. It's kind of cool to see it lift itself when you get in and close the door. Weird to hear the compressor for the air suspension randomly cycle on when the vehicle's been parked for awhile though.[/QUO

The QL adjusts depending on your speed. You can go up to 20mph in OffRoad 2, up to 40mph in OffRoad 1, and it lowers to Aero mode above 62mph. These settings cannot be overridden. The Park setting can be turned off if you want.

swrider

Observer
If you want to increase your tire size more than just a +1 you will have to go with coils and a lift. The QL can not be left in the lifted position all the time. I have a '14 with the ORA2 and the QL works very well for my needs.
DSC03838_zps53523e43.jpg

Nice pic, it kind of puts my mind at ease as to what I think I might have to/want to do, and the truck's capabilities.
What kind of terrain have you put your GC thru pennieslj ???

Also, what kind of tires are you running???

pennieslj

Observer
Nice pic, it kind of puts my mind at ease as to what I think I might have to/want to do, and the truck's capabilities.
What kind of terrain have you put your GC thru pennieslj ???

Also, what kind of tires are you running???

The GC has been great so far. It's been on Hells Revenge, Fins n Things, The White Rim and several more of the easier Moab trails. My last 3 rigs had great flex(2 Wranglers and a Power Wagon). It takes some getting used to lifting tires so often. Most of what we do anymore is just camping and the GC is great for that.

We put Cooper AT3's on right after we picked it up. 8000 miles on these tires and I like them a lot. The stock tires are terrible.

aristobrat

Observer
The QL adjusts depending on your speed. You can go up to 20mph in OffRoad 2, up to 40mph in OffRoad 1, and it lowers to Aero mode above 62mph. These settings cannot be overridden. The Park setting can be turned off if you want.
Good to know, thank you!

swrider

Observer
The GC has been great so far. It's been on Hells Revenge, Fins n Things, The White Rim and several more of the easier Moab trails. My last 3 rigs had great flex(2 Wranglers and a Power Wagon). It takes some getting used to lifting tires so often. Most of what we do anymore is just camping and the GC is great for that.

We put Cooper AT3's on right after we picked it up. 8000 miles on these tires and I like them a lot. The stock tires are terrible.

Impressive, I just did a quick google search of those trails and they're pretty crazy. I'm glad the GC was able to handle it, probably not something I will be looking to get into anytime soon, maybe something a bit easier :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94