Redneck rust repair

Superu

Explorer
Had to do something about the rust in the rear fenders and under the doors, but with 190k miles on the clock and Vermont winters throwing more salt at her, I couldn't justify the cost of true cut and weld replacements.

So, since I am always willing to try a new approach, I came up with a mixed bag of solutions that will be tested this winter.

Bondo self adhesive patches, bondo filler, Cofair aluminum roof tape, 3M professional undercoating.

Ground off all the surface rust. cut out especially weakened pieces, treated all exposed surfaces with VHT Rust Converter, applied the various patches and sprayed it all with several coats of the 3M product.

truck rust repair 1.jpegtruck rust repair 2.jpgtruck rust repair 3.jpgtruck rust repair 4.jpgtruck rust repair 5.jpeg

Next will be addition of set of fender flares sprayed with same materials. Will prep surfaces this weekend and should have installed pics ready in a week or so.

It's not perfect, but it'll get me through another winter or two. :)

Also going on tomorrow to replace the original muffler that is just starting to rust out. image.jpg

Last edited:

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Were you able to get underneath or to the backside at all? It is good work should hold up for a little while. If it does not hold up you could try a little bed liner or por15.

Superu

Explorer
Was able to get to the backside with the VHT rust converter in most spots. No doubt there's still rust lurking underneath in some spots, but I hit as much as I could get to.

Superu

Explorer
Magnaflow cat back installed and sounds great along with the K&N. Need to program with Bully Dog Triple Dog Gas programmer now and test to see how much towing up grade is improved.

Seabass

Idiot
I like it. I had an 02 Silverado Z-71 that got cancer. I did what you did except I used HERCULINER. It looked great and got tons of compliments. It took three years before I had to touch anything again. Sold it to my dad two years ago and it still is holding up.
ydazata9.jpg

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I use OSPHO on rust prior to any paint coating. Most hardware stores have it and it's quite common here in the Puget Sound due to all the ships. It converts iron oxide to iron phosphate leaving a black coating that can be directly painted over. On my 'Burb, I'm going to use bed liner on the lower surfaces of the body work. I coated the front and rear bumpers with spray on Rustoleum bedliner, three coats worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles