Pathy Questions

Dmski

Adventurer
I know the whole highway speed limit thing seems trivial and it just depends on where you are located. For me, I drive a ton on interstates that are 70-80 speed limits, and for having some power left to get up hills pass etc with an empty car is difficult now, and impossible with anywhere near a full car. So that's my reasoning for something with a few more ponies.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I know the whole highway speed limit thing seems trivial and it just depends on where you are located. For me, I drive a ton on interstates that are 70-80 speed limits, and for having some power left to get up hills pass etc with an empty car is difficult now, and impossible with anywhere near a full car. So that's my reasoning for something with a few more ponies.

Absolutely understand that, I rarely drive the speed limit anyway haha. More of a flow of traffic guy.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Haha believe me I was once a speed demon did 174 in my speed three with the speed limiter off but now a days found 80 in a truck loaded with camping gear is just killing your mpgs and wearing down parts.

But then again I can't argue with wanting more horse power, I am a man after all.

richard310

pew pew
Wow you guys drive fast fully loaded. I'm a slowpoke and go about 60mph on the highways fully loaded to maximize MPG on long trips. Hell, I drive 60mph on the highways everyday and the limit is 75mph. The old Xterra's VG is a dog. Might as well get out and walk, and you can forget about hills. So much noise and it's not going anywhere... Sounds like the RPMs are double than what it really is. I envy you 4.0L V6 guys :D I wish the first gen Xterra had the 2nd gen's motor. It'd be an amazing truck if that were the case.

Dmski

Adventurer
Well it's final! Sold the x last night to a nice chick looking to do some exploring. Wasn't completely ready to sell, but it was one of those things where for the right price, anything is for sale. I'm commuting strictly by motorcycle for now but would like to sell that and a few other items to pay for my next rig. Basically one big liquidation sale Whoo hoo!

The x was a fantastic rig that I had a great time in, but now I'm looking for that next do it all rig I can see myself in for the long haul. So, on the list to look at are the 2nd gen Xterra and frontier, 2002-2004 pathfinders, toyota land cruisers, land rover discovery and a few others. I'm certainly feeling a new xterra or the pathy so we will see what craigslist brings.

stioc

Expedition Leader
There's a big difference between a land cruiser and the others...LCs are big, not so good MPGs, have a high resale value but make awesome 'second car' for offroading with the family. I like the Discoverys, their payload is 1500lbs that's almost 500lbs more than most other SUVs but they require quite a bit of maintenance so you must be willing to do the work and fairly often, I've seen broken axles and steering links on the trails more than once.

If it was me I'd get the 2nd gen X (with the 4L VQ and only OffRoad or Pro4X) or an equivalent Frontier (if you want the the bed). IMHO the X is a great looking rig in either stock form or done up, tons of options, very good power, reliable and it can do most hard trails in stock form - what else does one need? If budget is a concern then the R50 can be built up to the Pro4X's level (with a 2" lift, 32" tires, locker, armor) - but do add up the cost of all that and then compare the price. My 2 cents :)

44499d1282604684-nissan-xterra-off-road-launched-nissan-xterra-off-road-launched.jpg

002-14TDI_XTb003-large.jpg

205173.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Well have been looking at some Xterras and they are certainly nice! Now this may be a step backwards in looking for a "new" vehihcle, but I ran across a 2nd gen trooper and Mitsubishi montero during my craigslist hunt and have to say, I'm kinda impressed. This is more unconventional per se and I understand troopers with the 3.5L have serious oil leaking issues which originally put me off. But both these vehicles have been known to do quite well into higher miles and have a little more power. Plus no need to be concerned about sleeping/storage room, holy great mother of God the rear ends are spacious.

The kicker, a trooper just popped up with 90k miles, 5speed, all maintenance done and only a $4k price tag that I'm sure is negotiable since these vehicles are shunned to the side. Granted a montero near me also has 180k miles and is the SR model with locking rear end for a low price but haven't seen it.

So what say any of you? Ever had experience with the trooper/montero what did you like/not like? I'm still liking the idea of an all around newer car but can't help to question why not go for one of these spacious old school trucks that have some quirks, but can do quite well off road and still be usable on the freeway.

bushnut

Adventurer
both of those vehicles were on my short list when I bought my Pathy. sadly there are not many of either in my neck of the woods...so finding spare Junk Yard Parts or even new parts was a concern for me. I really like the trooper with the barn doors out back. and the Montero has a very trick differential system but keeping those two alive up here in the north would be a problem so I stuck with what is somewhat unique and still JY fixable.
you'r milage may vary.

Dmski

Adventurer
Well a little update. It is official, I've sold the xterra and am now in the market for a new rig! I've narrowed down my short list to the following:

2nd Gen Nissan Xterra
2002-2004 Nissan Pathfinder
2005+ Toyota 4Runner
1996-2000, 2002-2004 Mitsubishi Montero.

So, now the hard part comes in having the patience to wait for that new rig to come along. I'm looking to get into a rig for no more than 14k but anything less is best. And also looking for a well maintained sub 90k mile truck to make it worth my time. While this should certainly be doable, the market seems to be a bit flat right now so time will tell.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Well to be honest living in the pnw you have the best used 4wd market ever. I have hear some awesome things about the troopers and montys. Definatly would have given them a look had I known when I bought my truck.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I would recommend a Montero for sure, unloved by the market but pretty capable. I would drive one and see how you like it, for me they felt a little too top heavy, and I preferred not to deal with the timing belt/water pump issue on a regular basis.

Dmski

Adventurer
Got a chance to drive a 2006 Nissan Xterra off road 6spd and I loved it! Some serious fun rowing the gears and that locker is nice to have right out the gate! However, the one I looked at was a NY car and had serious rust issues. I'll have to wait for the next one I guess to get what I'd like. I took a look at the montero as well and was impressed by it, and am surprised by its under appreciated capabilities. Alas, I'm a purist at heart though, and need that solid rear axle so monty is out for now. I did not like how sleeping in the back of the Xterra could be a bit of an issue but that could be fixed with a platform and the seats forward enough.

A new kid on the block just popped up, 1999 Toyota land cruiser with 110k miles and low (for the area) price tag. Normally I simply can't justify the high price that these command on initial buy in (doesn't seem worth it to me to spend 15-20k for a car that has more than 100,000 miles), but this one is on the lower end and could be very interesting! I'm going to take a look at it this weekend possibly if it doesn't sell by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles