Pathy Questions

Dmski

Adventurer
Hey guys I'm not sure whether to message people like Stioc or others so I apologize if this is redundant but hopefully it will answer questions for people like me.

So currently I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra and it has been a great vehicle, but just seriously underpowered with the 5 speed it has paired to the vg33. I've been considering a pathfinder ever since I bought the xterra, but couldn't find one at the time since I was stubborn about having a manual. A couple of years later, and I don't necessarily need a manual because I'll be daily driving it, but hp is a must. Going to Moab and pulling higher mountain passes in Colorado with a loaded car really showed me its faults in hp regards, since I couldn't even roll at 80mph due to gearing and engine gutlessness.

The goal is to do daily driving, light off-roading but mostly highway driving. With the xterra I've done the more purpose built offroading, and while fun I need a rig that is more highway friendly and able to get me to locations to camp, mountain bike, skiing etc. So having the car as base camp is more important than heavy armor etc. Basically it will be overland travel designated more so than anything else.

A couple of questions. I'm looking at 2002-2004 pathys with the VQ engine with as low mileage as I can find. Does the engine cruise nicely at 80 with, say, full gear loaded inside? I've heard about the dreaded screws backing out and getting sucked into the cylinders but other than that, the engine seems reliable as well as the auto trans. Do they have the issue of the newer xterra's where you can get coolant mixing with the auto trans fluid and get the strawberry milkshake of death? Also, in terms of the manual or all mode transfer case, I've heard that you can't put manual hubs on with the all mode because front somehow turns a oil pump of some sort? Never heard of this before but wanted to confirm. I've found a few with the all mode but is it worth it or should I hold out for just a manual transfer case?

Any other feedback or things I should note is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
What's your budget? I see 2005+ Xterras selling for under $9k all the time. Tons of power and better mileage. Not saying there's anything wrong with the older Pathys, I think they are awesome. Just an option.

If you have a 10mm socket and a screwdriver, you can keep the milkshake issue from happening.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I think the newer Xterras give you almost everything the 2nd gen VQ Pathfinder does and more. The ride quality might tilt the meter towards the pathfinder a bit, the interior room is a toss up but everything else I think the X has a slight advantage- as it should the Pathfinder was introduced in 1996 with the upgraded engine in 2001. The newer X's 4.0L VQ engine is a successor to the 3.5VQ, you have tons more options for future modification and that is a big deal. Couple that with the fact that it's really one of the handful of real 4WD SUVs left on the market today. If I were to replace my current Pathy with something of a similar size it'd without a doubt be the newer X.

Having said that the Pathy does just fine and will cruise 80+ mph all day long if you don't go too crazy on the tire size/weight. I love mine but I'm weird that way...I prefer unconventional, oddball, diamond-in-the rough sorta stuff :D

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
My pathfinder has a crap load of extra weight on it.. Can cruise 80 all day no worries and gets me around 21-23 mpg on the highway.

Dmski

Adventurer
Great feedback guys! It is a bit of a toss up between the newer gen Xterra or the older pathfinder, and something about those pathy's seems just awesome to me. Not that I don't like the new Xterra's, just the classic look of the pathfinder is timeless. But there is something to be said for going with a newer Xterra and they are not bad by any means. What of the all mode transfer case versus the regular manual transfer case?

bushnut

Adventurer
If the cancer doesn't eat mine, one day I put a 3.5 in it. even with the 3.3 I find it's great, though I'm not a speed demon, I rarely drive faster than 110km/h. The Pathy rides great, has loads of room for 4 adults, 1 90lbs dog and camping gear for the weekend, and nothing goes on the roof.(I do pack light). It's easy to work on, driver position is great, has never failed to start. The best part is that it looks classy, I can show up to a wedding wearing a suit and not be driving a hick mobile, and yet I have never been stuck......YET.
If I had to replace mine tomorrow....and I couldn't find a decent '01 to '04 I'd have to find an X.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Great feedback guys! It is a bit of a toss up between the newer gen Xterra or the older pathfinder, and something about those pathy's seems just awesome to me. Not that I don't like the new Xterra's, just the classic look of the pathfinder is timeless. But there is something to be said for going with a newer Xterra and they are not bad by any means. What of the all mode transfer case versus the regular manual transfer case?

I prefer the manual transfer because I can feel the engagement. The dials are not known for failure but there is something great about pulling that lever and hearing that thunk of off-road prowess.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I think if you could more formally define your budget, we might be able to help you decide on which to pick in the pathy/Xterra realm. That said however, the very low end of the Xterra (9k for a non-off road edition 09 with 80k miles in my area is about average) will yield the tip top of the post facelift pathies (r50s). For that price you could find a fully loaded LE 04 with heated leather seats, moonroof, power everything, all mode 4x4, and 17s among others. Also in that range is the Infiniti qx4 which takes the options on the LE and adds more wood trim, plusher interior, unique body with HIDs, and a few other options.

Considering it sounds like you're looking for a vehicle to get dirty I would suggest an SE like mine, (correct me if I'm wrong guys) Stioc's, or Weekender41's. These had the manual transfer cases, and with certain option groups had the LSD, larger roof rack, and sportier trim paired with the Bose stereo.

These vehicles typically have very few issues, and the screw you mentioned is often overblown. As long as you flush the fluids and maintain everything they can last a very long time. If you're hauling up hills a lot a tranny oil cooler is probably a good idea, as would be a coolant system flush. Check the struts to make sure they've been addressed under the recall, as well as avoid ones with excessive corrosion.

As for cruising at 80- I just took my r50 on a 7000 mile road trip across the Southern US leaving from my home in SoCal. If my speeding ticket is any indicator, it will definitely hold those speeds. Mine was loaded down with three guys, tents, clothing, food, and a full large Thule for two weeks of travel, and easily cruised over 80. Granted I have upgraded suspension and a freer flowing exhaust, but having done a 3000 mile trip through some high elevations in Utah and Wyoming in a more stock configuration last year, I would say a stock one is entirely capable.

Cheers

Dmski

Adventurer
I'm aiming at the Pathfinder for those exact reasons you mentioned, it may be a little older, but what you get and mileage you can find under 10k is way more appealing to me than what I've been finding in terms of xterra's up here. What you mentioned in terms of what the SE has is pretty much what I'm aiming for. Good to know on the struts I'll take a look at that recall.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I'm just posting because I like the term Hick-Mobile that was used in this thread. Sounds like a good country song.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Realistically do you need to be cruising at 80 fully loaded???

Yes, yes you do. You get more air into the engine that way derrr. Hahaah jk but! Needs and wants I guess. I go about 75.0002 mph on the highways simply because I am never in too big of rush. Having the ability it seems, is important here... Maybe not that it will be the SOP.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Sometimes getting passed by everyone, if you're not doing 80, gets old.

When I'm loaded up for a trip, I rarely go above 70-72. I don't mind having people pass me. I'm on the trip to relax and have fun, so why worry about how fast everyone else is driving? :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
When I'm loaded up for a trip, I rarely go above 70-72. I don't mind having people pass me. I'm on the trip to relax and have fun, so why worry about how fast everyone else is driving? :)

I guess my SoCal driving style precedes me, but the passing thing gets old when you're through Utah, Arizona, or other western states with high limits. I found out most go 80 until Texas and pretty much the rest of the south is comfortable at 72-75 minus Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz