Looking at a 1st gen SWB. Reliable?

xjchad

Hi,
Sorry my first post is about a rig I haven't even bought yet, but I'm trying to get into a Montero and the options around me in my price range are kind of thin.
I'm looking at an '84 with less than 120k. It's a 4 cyl, auto, 4x4.
Everything looks really nice on it but the owner says he had a new cat and carb put on and it doesn't pass CA smog because no one knows how to tune the carb right.
Is this something that will be a huge pain to deal with?
Also wanting to know about general reliability of these gen 1's since it will be my daily driver.
Other than that I'm pretty serious about it.
Thanks in advance!
Chad

Last edited:

ultrakill

Adventurer
I purchased my Daily Driver 1990 Montero LWB last April with 204,000 mi. (also Gen 1) and it has been super reliable (put 20,000 miles on it already). It left me stranded only once when the alternator went out, but you can't really predict something like that.

I would buy one again if I had the chance, don't know about the carb issue since mine is F.I. I had to do some work on brakes/suspension because I wheel the thing hard, but underneath the hood it runs like a champ.

These are really reliable and strong engines so I would definitely say you are looking at the right rig.

I once ran it 1 qt. of oil too low and it still drove just fine (slight valve tick) but bounced back to normal sound immediately after I added oil.

Also the Auto trans is strong, and all Monteros are 4x4.

xjchad

Thank you ultrakill,
From my reading it seems that overall they are great rigs.
I really want one!
But most of what I found was about the Gen 2-2.5.
And I didn't see much about the Gen 1 four banger (2.6).
My main concern is passing the CA smog test.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The 2.6 is OK as far as reliability goes, the carbs are problematic (not as much on the 84's) and the head will crack easily if you over heat it. Other than that they are great trucks, they are rather difficult to get through smog but doable.

ultrakill

Adventurer
Where are you located in Socal? LA or SD or somewhere else?

My F.I. '90 passed smog a year ago with at 1/10th the limit.

I'm sure if you find a old school mechanic they would know how to work on the carbs. The place I go to in Fresno is awesome, they can do pretty much any kind of work, and always do a great job.

My bro lives in SD and knows a bunch of mechanics down there, so if you are down there maybe I can point you in a good direction.

Anyways, passing smog I wouldn't worry about too much, if you are getting the rig for a good price anyways (it should be a one-time expense). Expect to pay 200-300 maybe more to have a shop get it up and running at good levels.

xjchad

Thanks guys!
I'm trying to get more info from the owner since he's quite a ways from me.
I'm also looking at a '94 that may fit my needs a little better too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz