Air seat

bha4424

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi fe. 140 I am looking to put a air seat in it what should I buy that works well and is a decent price ?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We have the Industrial Seats Sportster Deluxe, using the Ford 1999 & Up bases.

National_gr2_sporster_mini.gif

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
If you need a cheaper solution, not saying not to buy a factory type air seat but the can go over five thousand each, take the old Morgan sports car route.

Morgans were wood frame roadsters, had a 4+4 years back. Anyway, the seat is really a cushion type with a zip-out back pocket. An inner tube like used on a bicycle and it was folded with an arch in front or under your legs and serpentine under the butt. Just blow up the pressure to firm it up or let the air out, very comfortable when you get it conformed to the old body.
This arrangement is much better than those cheap mini inflatable seats.

Might use the existing seats and upholster in such a fabrication. The larger the tubs the bouncier seat you'll have and this can get real bouncy, too much so if over inflated, you'll bounce off the roof. Smaller tubes as in the Morgan were a nice ride even over dirt roads on a rally.

No one will know you're riding on air.

Now, the real seats have a rebound feature as you know, you pay for what you get. :)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
If you need a cheaper solution, not saying not to buy a factory type air seat but the can go over five thousand each, take the old Morgan sports car route.
Great idea !
And it sounds in my price range.
I had bought mechanical suspension seats from a Mitsubishi Montero hoping to mod them to work in my Fuso. No luck, they are just too high.
So I guess it is off to steal the innertubes out of my kid's bikes :sombrero:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If you were to go down this route you may want to look at using inflatable silicone tubing, as the longevity would be better than rubber.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
That's a good idea! Might check on implant returns at a plastic surgeon's office, that would make an interesting ride. :)

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
We tried a wheelchair air cushion, works ok but the cheapy we bought goes flat within a few days. I stuffed it under the seat cover to tidy the appearance.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah $3k sounds the right ballpark for the nice (leather, heated) air seats. It's definitely not cheap but it also works really well.

peneumbra

Explorer
You might try looking for air seats at a large truck wrecking yard. They go pretty fast, but if you find a pair, they'll be a lot less expensive than new ones.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
You might try looking for air seats at a large truck wrecking yard. They go pretty fast, but if you find a pair, they'll be a lot less expensive than new ones.
In my search I was 'eyeballing' large truck seats as a possible cheaper way to go. BUT every one I saw had a huge amount of travel/height and were not even close to working in a Fuso. Anyone have an idea of any models of 'large trucks' that might work ?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
In my search I was 'eyeballing' large truck seats as a possible cheaper way to go. BUT every one I saw had a huge amount of travel/height and were not even close to working in a Fuso. Anyone have an idea of any models of 'large trucks' that might work ?

Hi Mog... To my knowledge there is none. In Australia we have a rule that says you need 900mm of clearance between the squab of the seat and the ceiling. Now while that rule probably doesn't exist where you are, any seat fitted in a FUSO that didn't allow at least that amount of headroom would also be too high for your legs to reach the floor.

If you do find something there please let us know. An alternative seat to the aftermarket mechanical suspension seat commonly fitted would be most welcome.

Regards John

kerry

Expedition Leader
I found a single Stratos seat on Ebay for a good price. Less than $200 as I recall. Not that crazy about it but better than OE. I currently keep two Walmart kid's foam footballs jammed between the rails so that it moves comfortably. Without those I cannot get it adjusted right. When I was looking for a suspension seat I seem to recall coming across references to an OE suspension seat available in the USA but I never saw one. Perhaps give Busbees a call. They may have them come in periodically.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I currently keep two Walmart kid's foam footballs jammed between the rails so that it moves comfortably.
This would be even funnier if it wasn't so true. One of my seats is back at Stratos for the third time. Maybe three times is a treat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles