Wilderness Medical Training

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Digging this older thread up, Are there CEU's offered for Medical Professionals?

My GF is an RN who is looking to take a course like this, but for it to work for her it would be very good if CEU's are offered. Her work will help with the time and the cost if CEU's are available, but those courses that she's found thus far only offer CEU equivalents to EMT's and MD's, though not for RN's.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
That is very cool Lance! I have been wanting to take a wilderness first aid class for sometime now. I know there are a few offered here in the valley, but I have not gotten around to getting into one. I made it a priority for me to get it done this year however. Sounds like this one was really cool being that you guys were out and about in the snow up in Flagstaff.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Digging this older thread up, Are there CEU's offered for Medical Professionals?

My GF is an RN who is looking to take a course like this, but for it to work for her it would be very good if CEU's are offered. Her work will help with the time and the cost if CEU's are available, but those courses that she's found thus far only offer CEU equivalents to EMT's and MD's, though not for RN's.

If you live in a state that req RN's to have CEU (Az doesn't) then yes many of the folks teaching the WMI stuff work with a Universty for the CEU aspect. The course I took in Flagstaff gave CEU's through a Utah University.
Contact NOLS and they can help you out with what is aval in your area.

That is very cool Lance! I have been wanting to take a wilderness first aid class for sometime now. I know there are a few offered here in the valley, but I have not gotten around to getting into one. I made it a priority for me to get it done this year however. Sounds like this one was really cool being that you guys were out and about in the snow up in Flagstaff.

I have heard that the REI courses are pretty good but honestly the guys teaching in Flag are a riot and well worth the drive and time. Plus it gave me an excuse to camp!

Pete Walka who runs the Flagstaff Field Institute and is the main Instructor for NOLS/WMI courses up there, has an amazingly wonderful course curriculum. As Lance says, the school is a bit of a "riot", tons of realistic scenarios in the elements, great class room learning, and really great "real world" scenarios.

I often go up there just to volunteer to be a "victim" or "patient" just to stay in the fun and the juice of Wilderness Medicine. I highly recommend The Flagstaff Field Institute.

http://www.flagstafffieldinstitute.com/cart.php

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Pete Walka who runs the Flagstaff Field Institute and is the main Instructor for NOLS/WMI courses up there, has an amazingly wonderful course curriculum. As Lance says, the school is a bit of a "riot", tons of realistic scenarios in the elements, great class room learning, and really great "real world" scenarios.

I often go up there just to volunteer to be a "victim" or "patient" just to stay in the fun and the juice of Wilderness Medicine. I highly recommend The Flagstaff Field Institute.

http://www.flagstafffieldinstitute.com/cart.php
I'd guess that if he's a WMI guy that he got into the "scenarios" there, they erally do ALOT of that stuff. Glad to hear of another solid instructor working for/with them. I'll have to look into the other org. you linked, I'm not familliar with the group, thanks for the link and recomendation

Cheers

Dave

rmarz

Adventurer
I am glad this thread received some CPR, I had followed the link to NOLS when Lance first posted and have had it in the back of my mind as a ‘someday’ kind of thought. When the thread came back, I checked out the class schedule and work schedule and service schedule and home schedule, and to my surprise am able to attend the May class.

I am looking forward to be joining the ranks of those more prepared.

rmarz

Adventurer
I'm getting my wilderness emt this summer and a buddy from work is as well.

I maintained EMT-B for five years before letting the CE requirements slip. The wilderness first responder training will better suit my needs as I am not pursuing a career in pre hospital care and this course is recommended by Lance, quite an endorsement.

Will your EMT-W be a component of your work?

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Not in my full time job, I'm a critical care paramedic now. I'm applying to be on a search and rescue team and hoping it will be helpful.

rmarz

Adventurer
Well I have completed wilderness first responder and am in fact posting from the Nordic Center, having completed my testing a few hours ago. If anyone is considering this training I say go for it! A very fast paced, intense ten days. It was well worth the money and using vacation time from work. WMI NOLS puts on quite the course.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Rich,
I forgot you were doing this!
Way cool and it is a huge assest to have more medical folks out on the trail, now the most important part is to continue to run through the info in your head when you are out there so you don't loose it (cuz I hope you never need it).
Congrats and glad you had a good time

rmarz

Adventurer
Hey Rich,
I forgot you were doing this!
Way cool and it is a huge assest to have more medical folks out on the trail, now the most important part is to continue to run through the info in your head when you are out there so you don't loose it (cuz I hope you never need it).
Congrats and glad you had a good time

Thanks Lance. I saved the last Jose Piedra petit for an after grad. treat, thanks again for the stogies! A lot of the basic info was review for me from the EMT-B class I took in the 1990’s but the wilderness protocol skills were a real eye opener.

No doubt the scenarios put on for the class will be running through my mind often, very intense. Hopefully the skills will not be needed, but the structure of the course will not be forgotten anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles