Fox News running story on LR confiscations

jdlobb

Adventurer
50:1 they say "Homeland Security Agents" repeatedly and never once say "Customs Agents"

am I right?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Here it is...

[video]http://video.foxnews.com/v/3707983552001/dhs-seizes-land-rover-over-epa-regulations/[/video]

It's pretty light on facts but high on hysterics.

zelatore

Explorer
On FOX? No!

Here it is...

[video]http://video.foxnews.com/v/3707983552001/dhs-seizes-land-rover-over-epa-regulations/[/video]

It's pretty light on facts but high on hysterics.

<edit>
Just watched the clip - wow, it was worse than I expected.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
On FOX? No!

<edit>
Just watched the clip - wow, it was worse than I expected.

What I don't get it how anybody can call this "news" - there's no analysis, not attempt to verify information, no background. It's just crap.

jdlobb

Adventurer
What I don't get it how anybody can call this "news" - there's no analysis, not attempt to verify information, no background. It's just crap.

wow. There wasn't a single factual thing said in that entire clip. amazing.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Waiting for the MSNBC Rachael Maddow piece to follow up that finds a way to either blame Bush for the seizures or cast the owners as wealthy elitists republicans who were going to use their evil polluting Defenders to kill black babies and slaughter dolphins

zelatore

Explorer
Come on, don't be stupid.

It's Central American babies, not black babies.

Seriously, I don't watch either FOX or MSNBC, but because of forums like this I get the occasional FOX clip. They're always so ... harpy-like. So breathlessly offended by whatever the topic of the day is. Forget whatever point they're trying to make, I don't know how people stand them just because of the delivery.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ha Ha Ha. You only "use" this only as a reason to bash Fox??? The number one source that Americans watch their news. What part of a sealed case did you not hear? Did you hear that 6 homeland security vehicles with federal DHS gunman and local agents stormed the private home of American Jennifer Brinkley because herself and 40 others had a car imported years ago that violated the clean air act? Hers was 4 owners ago! Fox loves freedom and American liberty so they at least put one of their non prime time reporters on it so Americans can see the Government overreach.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Ha Ha Ha. You only "use" this only as a reason to bash Fox??? The number one source that Americans watch their news. What part of a sealed case did you not hear? Did you hear that 6 homeland security vehicles with federal DHS gunman and local agents stormed the private home of American Jennifer Brinkley because herself and 40 others had a car imported years ago that violated the clean air act? Hers was 4 owners ago! Fox loves freedom and American liberty so they at least put one of their non prime time reporters on it so Americans can see the Government overreach.

there are several other threads on this already. Everything you just said it MASSIVE spin on the real fact.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Come on, don't be stupid.

It's Central American babies, not black babies.

Seriously, I don't watch either FOX or MSNBC, but because of forums like this I get the occasional FOX clip. They're always so ... harpy-like. So breathlessly offended by whatever the topic of the day is. Forget whatever point they're trying to make, I don't know how people stand them just because of the delivery.

If I'm watching TV news it's most likely going to be CNN. Most direct and factual reporting by a long shot. So much so, in fact, that The Daily Show frequently blasts them for admitting that they don't know something. Personally, I take this as an incredibly positive sign that they're willing to admit they don't have enough information instead of just pulling it out of their rear end and drawing insane connections like Fox and MSNBC do.

jdlobb

Adventurer
What is my MASSIVE spin and what are your real facts?

first, you refer to them as Homeland Security Agents. While this is factually accurate it, it is obviously spin. They were Customs Agents. Policing imports and exports is literally the definition of their job.

The case may have been sealed at the time, but by the end of that very day it wasn't. In fact, most owners who've reported here and on the Defender forum were shown the list of vehicles with the VINs and given all of the details relating to their vehicle.

Some people have consistently continued to frame this as "homeland security this" and "homeland security that" knowing full well that the ONLY reason to do this is because we associate "Homeland Security" with fighting terrorism. When, in fact, DHS is actually a blanket federal law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over everything from investigating bootleggers (ATF) to enforcing import regulations (CBP).

Next, you said "federal DHS gunmen" "stormed" a private home. When in actuality what most likely happened, as was reported by owners on this forum and others, is that the vehicles remained parked on the street and 2 Customs agents knocked on the door to serve a legal warrant. No doors were kicked. No flashbangs were thrown. No heads were cracked. But there are minimum preparations that are required for the safety of our police. As I said in the other thread, people in this country have a bad habit of shooting at cops. The Customs agents could have no idea if they were serving a warrants to an innocent family who used their vehicle for camping, or a drug lord with a fetish for rare cars.

Let's carry on. The Clean Air Act had nothing to do with the seizure, and nobody in government cares that it might or might not pollute. If the car is legitimately over 25 years old, and was imported legally, it doesn't matter how much it pollutes as long as it passes inspection.

Illegally imported goods are illegally imported goods. It doesn't matter how long ago they were imported, who imported them, or who possesses them now. The fact that the name on the warrant was 4 owners ago is utterly irrelevant. The warrant was for the VIN. It doesn't matter who owns it, it will be seized.

This is a nation of laws. Those laws are enforced. I'm sure you'll be one of those to jump up and down and call a human being "illegal" and that they should be rounded up and deported. Well. these vehicles are illegal, and they should be rounded up and deported.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94