Called to Creation Expedition Report: Scout Out Colorado 2014

calledtocreation

Adventurer
Wow, where to begin. Nine rigs meeting in Rifle, CO for an adventure of unknown proportion: Pictures are worth a thousand words....

Here we go!!!

Luna%20Jeep-X3.jpg

Salina%20Rainbow-X3.jpg

Day 4 (the real start and fun begins and so do the photos yay!!):

We had a JK 2 door, my 4 door, two scouts, a red one and a blue one, an LJ, a Samurai, a Commander, a full size GMC Sierra, and a Toyota Truggy (not all are pictured)!!!

C41A5446-2124x1416.jpg

C41A5448-2124x1416.jpg

and we had stickers :D

sticker-X3.jpg

The first segment of dirt looked like this:

C41A5459-2124x1416.jpg

and the view midway up the mountain was stellar, but I had a lot to learn if I thought this was a great view!!

C41A5461-2124x1416.jpg

Leadking Basin was an epic location of big mountain and big sky proportions. This is a view!!!

C41A5466-2124x1416.jpg

Not a bad lineup of vehicles either.

C41A5467-2124x1416.jpg

C41A5472-2124x1416.jpg

C41A5474-2124x1416.jpg

C41A5476-2124x1416.jpg

C41A5479-2124x1416.jpg

To be continued.....

Last edited:

JAG811

JAG811
"The best thing about an adventure is that you can not officially call a trip an adventure until things go wrong." - Love this line !!
Great read, great photos - Can't wait to see more :)

calledtocreation

Adventurer
I took the time for some family photos courtesy of my friend Jeff Tate, who had the green LJ.

Me, My wife Melody and our New Trail Dog Luna (a 6 month old GSD)

C41A5501-2124x1416.jpg

After some jogging around with her and a few trail snacks, I took this shot of my friend Scott's Samurai and we were back on the trail!!

C41A5490-2124x1416.jpg

The trail switched back with fantastic views in both directions. After the water crossing in the bottom of the valley, it was even chunkier with plenty of canopy tree coverage. Pretty epic. As we came down in to Crystal City, which was not a city at all, more of a miners town with literally less than a dozen buildings and a nice towns keeper named Debbie who offered a Satellite Phone and some great stories, this photo opportunity was something I could not pass up. The Jeep looks great in the tall Aspens of Colorado, don't you think??

C41A5530-2124x1416.jpg

After setting up camp, we hiked to the world famous Crystal Mill, which I'm told is the most photographed pieced in Colorado??

C41A5532-X3.jpg

C41A5553-2124x1416.jpg

Family shot at the Mill

C41A5570-X3.jpg

Here is the general store, which we took a photo of on the way back to camp from the mill

C41A5583-2124x1416.jpg

And here is another Aspen Grove that was very near our camp. I think Aspen Trees our my new craze :D

C41A5589-2124x1416.jpg

The next day The route would take us through "Devil's Punchbowl" which was certainly worthy of a few shots. Technical and a decent climb, there were a few of us that would be in for a challenge.

This was the bridge crossing to the punch bowl.

C41A5616-X3.jpg

Pictures after this of the punch bowl were scarce as the terrain was very demanding.

Further up the trail, you go through the Crystal River, which is obviously named for it's clarity. This photo is of the Glynn's in their nearly stock Jeep Commander. The only mod, tires and a 2" lift. A very rad vehicle indeed.

C41A5621-2124x1416.jpg

After we had all reconvened at the top of the climb in the meadow, a group photo was necessary before proceeding to Gothic.

C41A5626-2124x1416.jpg

As we progressed a few had to stop for a restroom break, we pressed on to get a photo of each rig on the move through the area. We came up with this!!

C41A5641-2124x1416.jpg

Shortly after this picturesque meadow, we reached Schofield Pass - Note the Scout Out Sticker in the upper right side of the sign... hmmm how did that get there??

C41A5628-2124x1416.jpg

We dropped down in to Gothic on our way to Crested Butte, CO.

C41A5652-X3.jpg

We hit Crested Butte, CO and found the Hostel, a great value with showers. After cleaning up, we went to refill our fuel. We decided to hit a pizza place one of the locals at the Hostel suggested. "The Secret Stash" was a solid spot. Great beers, beverages, pizza by the slice etc. After bellying up to the bar for a drink and some pizza, we hit the road toward Pearl Pass. On our way up, we heard it was not passable because of glaciers at the top, but that wasn't going to stop us from trying. We bedded down in an area we collectively named the "Cow Pie Campground" for obvious reasons, photos not necessary. It was beautiful though.

C41A5658-2124x1416.jpg

Sunset soon after dinner and though we had a mix of drinks and smores with Square Marshmallows, we were ready to sack out. I wasn't quite ready to fall asleep at 2330 hours or 1130pm, when I heard an unfamiliar voice "there's tents, we need to ask for help". I'm pretty sure at this point I was the only one awake, so I called out, "Are you guys lost?", keep in mind we are a solid 5 miles from the closest house and probably 10 miles from Crested Butted. A guys voice replied "no were fine. my 4x4 broke down toward the top". I went out to at least offer them supplies, and found a young man and woman each with one flip flop on opposite feet, no supplies wearing shorts and t-shirts. The full story came out, the girl fell down on the glacier and slid down to a rock garden, only managed to sprain her ankle but lost her shoes and backpack with their food and water. They had been hiking for over 6 hours from the top in order to reach their house. I offered them drinks and food bars immediately and insisted I take them down the hill. I grabbed Mike Glynn to join me, remember he's the burly gun toting guy :D I would not have believed their whole story had I not found their rig the next day just a couple miles from the peak. We made it back to camp in an hour after dropping them off. Sleepy time...

To be continued

Last edited:

calledtocreation

Adventurer
Early morning greeted us with the lowing of the cows in a nearby field, the same ones that had left their "pie presents" behind prior to our arrival to camp. As we made breakfast that morning a few of them decided to visit our camp, and while they were big, Bow, Jeff's Australian Shepherd and Luna, my German Shepherd were quick to lead them out of the area with barking and textbook natural instinct. We kept them leashed so they wouldn't end up with black eyes, so I wasn't able to get video, but it was a very cool sight to see them work together instinctively. Melody and I were the first to break camp so we could get a head start on the views and photo ops, and of course that always pays off.

The patch of Aspens was where we camped. The mountain in the distance with little to no trees on it is Mount Crested Butte (the backside of the ski area)

C41A5674-X3.jpg

It didn't take long until we found the cows we chased off. Apparently they are use to vehicles traveling the road, they didn't budge an inch.

C41A5681-X3.jpg

Took this photo of the line up of vehicles as we stopped for a quick fuel pump swap on the blue Scout

C41A5706-X3.jpg

As we ascended the trail and headed toward the 12k plus Pearl Pass, the terrain became chunky, with sharp shale type rocks, though none of our vehicles had a hard time with this section, higher clearance would be required later up the hill

C41A5711-X3.jpg

We were of course greeted by several of the locals

C41A5722-X3.jpg

Mike and I took our vehicles to the end of the road just before the glacier and took this epic photo

C41A5733-X3.jpg

I hiked out to the point where the glacier was and found these two massive locals, bedded down in the shrubs

C41A5742-X3.jpg

At this point, we all grabbed lunch, which I have to say was the highest meal, I've had (besides a plane), at 12,500'. We finished up lunch and a couple of us decided to go scout out for the woman's belongings as Jon had found her shoes (remember the couple that hiked for 6 hours the night before?). So her story totally checked out, we even found slide marks on the glacier where you could see her path of fall. Wow!! Anyway, we recovered nothing, because the belongings were unreachable. We packed up our lunch camp and headed back down the way we came.

We decided to head back to Crested Butte to fill up and then head South and around the reservoir to the area just North of the small town of Tincup Colorado. As others debated on airing back up for the 30 plus miles of anticipated tarmac, Melody and I decided we would break away from the group for a hot meal at "The Last Steep" a great little bar and grill in the town of Crested Butte. The half pound burger and fries hit the spot and we were able to catch back up to the group on the tarmac. A turn off on to dirt, pointed us toward the camp for the night, which turned out to be cow pie free and filled with open space and epic Big Mountain views!!!

C41A5747-X3.jpg

After setting up camp and starting dinners, Mike Kern, found some small pieces to start a fire with

C41A5749-X3.jpg

Temps that night were cool, I would guess mid 40's, but that would be appropriate considering our elevation of 9995' (according to the Garmin). That night we decided to make this our base camp for the next two nights. The next morning we finished breakfast and then gathered to watch as Jon welded his rear control arms, which had twisted and cracked the day before, no doubt because of the power from the port fuel injected LS motor he has in the red Scout. Proof is in the photos!!

C41A5752-X3.jpg

C41A5753-X3.jpg

C41A5754-X3.jpg

C41A5751-X3.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?????

C41A5755-X3.jpg

See Jon normally uses a self darkening set up at home!!! This is better :D

C41A5763-X3.jpg

By this time, it was nearly time for lunch, so we all headed in to the town of Tincup for a bite to eat. We would then continue up to Tincup Pass and the Continental Divide.

Love this sign as you enter the town

C41A5912-X3.jpg

And the Town Hall was awesome!!!

C41A5784-X3.jpg

After eating lunch at Frenchy's in town, one of 28 of the original saloons, and the only one still standing, we headed to the pass.

Jon's welding patchwork seemed to be holding up as we climbed the hill

C41A5788-X3.jpg

This was a highlight for sure

C41A5907-X3.jpg

Just down the hill from that picture there was a stock FJ Cruiser (new model) that had broken a tie rod). We offered to help briefly, he said that he had help on the way and a lady approached on a quad advising there were 4 bull moose in a field about a half mile toward St. Elmo, so we booked it and what do you know we found them. This may have been the pinnacle for me, as at 36 years of age, I still had never seen a moose. I must have taken 50 something shots of these big guys, but here are the best ones.

C41A5804-X3.jpg

C41A5859-X3.jpg

After the moose laid down, we didn't really have much else to see, so we moved on to St. Elmo. It was a cool little town, with lots of history.

Main Street

C41A5869-X3.jpg

The blue Scout in front of the Post Office

C41A5872-X3.jpg

The kids in the group fed the local wildlife and then we headed back to our camp

C41A5894-X3.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Really thoroughly enjoying this. Good writeup and great photos. Seems like your group had enough mechanical problems for a year's worth of travel. Eeek!

mph

Expedition Leader
Glad to that you got to finally see your moose!!! How was the crowd around St. Elmo? Last time I was there it was a zoo...Great writeup!

calledtocreation

Adventurer
We headed back over the pass to camp as the afternoon was showing signs of Thunderstorms, which in that area are no joke. On our way back, we ran in to the FJ with the broken tie rod, except this time he was on the back of a four-wheel-drive tow truck. The trail was narrow enough that I had to pull off up the cliff side to let them pass and as they did, the tow truck driver stopped to thank us for our patience as they made their way down. I said no problem and then asked if he was with Triple A. He laughed and said "no" in a stern reply. I have a feeling that bill is going to be pricey!! Collectively it seemed the trip was winding to a close. It was Thursday at this point and a couple of folks in the group wanted to return to Rifle, a couple wanted to go back to a camp-out in Crystal and Melody and I were pretty sure we wanted to head to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. So the morning came, we took a group photo and we all went our separate ways.

C41A5917-X3.jpg

Our trip wasn't done there. We decided we wanted to head over Cumberland Pass toward what would turn out to be one of favorite inhabited little towns in Colorado, Pitkin. As we headed over the pass we found a few great photo ops.

C41A5918-X3.jpg

A photo toward the town of Pitkin

C41A5921-X3.jpg

Some of the old mining ruins

C41A5924-X3.jpg

We aired back up in Pitkin, CO on the side of a picture perfect road in the middle of several homes. The family's house we pulled off in front of, was a vacation home for them, they lived in Littleton, CO during the school year. We headed out of town, following several creeks and rivers, to the area known as Lake City, where we took this photo. It reminded me of Utah, but with a giant lake (note the hoodoo style cliffs in the background).

C41A5926-X3.jpg

Gunnison was the next stop, where we had lunch at the Gunnisack. A great local spot, found at the intersection of Main Street, USA. After the meal we continued toward Telluride taking the road less traveled as advised by our waitress. A brilliant choice and on the way out of town, we saw this amazing house, which was originally built in 1887, "The Townsend House", and while we don't know much about it, just seeing it in person you knew there was a great story behind it.

C41A5930-X3.jpg

C41A5929-X3.jpg

The area going to Telluride was amazing; some of the most amazing country I've ever seen.

C41A5935-X3.jpg

C41A5938-X3.jpg

When we arrived in Telluride, CO, we really had no idea what to expect. It was part of the original route for Scout Out, but we didn't get there. Black Bear Pass is a one-way route from Ouray, in to Telluride over the mountains. We didn't want to go that way, solo (ok, we were running short on time too), but a trip through the town, while slightly off the route to Cortez, CO our stop for the night, was a must do. Whats's that you want more photos ?? ok -

C41A5941-X3.jpg

yes that is a house on the right near the waterfall

C41A5943-X3.jpg

Gotta get the Creation Crawler in there!!

C41A5946-X3.jpg

We headed out of town expecting we had seen much of what there was to view - Wrong!!! As we rounded the corner out of town, we were greeted with this :D

C41A5958-X3.jpg

and then this!!!!!!!!

C41A5959-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior