Florida Scratch Buld

drgrenthum

I joined this site a little over a year ago and have been flabbergasted by the builds on here and it is time to build my own.

I have dabbled in metal working but mostly I have just collected tools. I should have everything needed; welder, arbor press, lathe. mill, plasma cutter, band saw, etc.....

I plan to use this trailer on mild trails and in an attempt to get my wife and son outdoors more. To that end, i need luxuries. Hot shower, tv, kitchen, and POWER.

For power going to use 2 or 3 solar panels @ 250w each and approx 67"x40" in size. Haven't purchased these yet but do have the midnight solar classic 150 and a salmex puresine wave 1000. I will charge a 24v 225ah battery bank. This will also serve as backup power for the house, just to save the food in the fridge and freezer. I highly recommend solarpaneltalk.com forum for anyone with solar questions. Really opened my eyes on solar.

For water a have a 46g tank and an on demand pump. Still need to get the water heater but all in good time. Ideally i will tow empty until close to trail entrance then fill up. 46g is about 385lbs no need to haul it around when not needed.

For suspension going with a trailing arm suspension with airbags. This will allow me to accommodate load changes. (water)

My father in law is going to help with the build and since i am usually off on Fridays, plan is to spend 6hrs every other friday on it. Hopefully be done in under a year... Time will tell.

Here is my messy garage.

Since it stays a mess most of the work will be under the carport,

Here is most of the trailer (some assembly required)

I look forward to the journey and hope you guys will point out things when they are wrong. There is alot I have not figured/drawn out.

drgrenthum

Day one:

Father in law who usually only works a week every month had 2 things come up on 'day 1' and so only could come by for 2 hrs. I worked about 3hrs without him but got less done then i hoped.

Spent most my day on the band saw.

This trailer will look more like a truck utility bed. Since the panels are 69" wide goal is a trailer 72" wide. Tow vehicle is 74" wide.

All i got done today.

Just cut not welded or tacked. After the picture I cleaned up the areas to be welded. Hopefully get it done next time

drgrenthum

Looking forward to the build. What size tubing are you using for the frame?

A mish mash of things. Some was dependent on what the local ALRO steel had.(They are stupid expensive BTW, but i live in an area without alot of industry) The sides and front are 1x3 11g, the rear bumper is 2x4 11g, the front stringer that the trailing arms will attach to is 2x3 11g, the rest of the stringers are 2x2 16g.

drgrenthum

Day 2:

Knew it would be hard to work on the concrete under the carport but it was impossible. Gave up after a hour and a half and bought a piece of MDF. Threw it up on my 30x36 welding table, add 20 clamps and another hour, all was straight and i started welding.

Next i needed to play with my plasma cutter, i had never used. Only thing i figured out is that i can not follow a line or draw.
(supposed to be leaves)

Did a practice cut on some extra 1x3 11ga and it cut but again i couldnt keep my hand steady and it was not feasible to run a bar on all ends to guide the torch.

(1st attempt)

I didnt like the sharp corners and thought i would be smart and round them using my step bit, would then run a guide on teh two sides i could. Too bad at an inch deep it wouldnt go all the way to where i needed (doh!) Could of went all the way thru and all should of lined up but.....

So i ended up free handing it. it turned out okay.....

Ended up the day with the draw bar in place but not welded. Bar from front cross member to end is 28". Same as my 7x14 enclosed trailer. Going to use the 30" lock-n-roll 526 for when i need to go longer, 90* or the like.

Goal is to get the suspension started next time. Going alot slower than i would like, but no hurry i suppose.

Also need to figure out how to shrink the pics. I reduced them 40% but they are still huge on here.

drgrenthum

Day 3 and 4: (with random time thrown in)

I havent been updating often cause not alot to show and i have realized 12 hrs a month isnt alot of time to throw at this thing. I have found a few hours here and there but not enough.

I got a new toy; 48" finger brake and one day was spent making a stand for it. (I am addicted to tools) Hopefully use it to make a tongue box; partitioning the inside and other random things.

Had some tires put on my wheels. These do not match the tow vehicle but were $150 a piece vs $300 a piece. I just couldn't justify the extra money.

The ladder frame is all welded up. Added a receiver to the back as well as a couple places for d rings. Also welded on the perch for the trailer jack. Took some time figuring out the suspension and only two set of brackets on so far. The other two will go on once i have the tire alignment worked out.

dthum

drgrenthum

As life has it, things havent gone to plan. Father in law decided to start working full time and so i have been moving on solo. Had a couple unexpected out of town trips i had to make and this unfortunately got put on the back burner. Did get some time over the last couple weekends.

Finished the suspension, with the exception of adding on some shocks at some point.

Bought the sink/stove combo and found a nice piece of 1" spruce I cut to 2'x3' for the countertop. I left some room in front to use as a prep area. Need to figure out the cabinet that will go below it on the slide out before i stain/poly it. Also need to decide whether to put the little bar faucet behind the sink or cut a hole around the edge of the sink and put it there.

Currently how the trailer stands. Will try to add the parking brake and wheel wells next weekend. I did get my tent (Tepui Autana) I love the quality but wish i would have gone bigger.

dthum

rustED

Adventurer
Awesome build so far! I wish I would have built mine with trailing arms, I'm attempting a 3 link with air bags...might have to change it later on, lol. Keep up the good work!

drgrenthum

cooktop here:
http://panther-rvproducts.com/SMEV-MO0911-Combination-2-Burner-Cooktop-with-Sink-P-U4001.htm

alignment:
Just best guess. Truthfully i havent towed it yet. I will in the next couple weeks and i hope its good enough. As long as it tows straight i wont worry about it. I dont figure i will put more than 1500 miles a year on it on the road. Worst case i have to replace tires more frequently then i should. At least i hope thats worst case. It looks to be straight on with a touch of negative camber. Stay tuned.

drgrenthum

Small update.

Tried to hook up the parking brake had issues and moved on to something else. Not stoked on the location but the idea was to be a little inconspicuous when set, the location is under where the tounge box will go. Picture shows the handle down cause the cables are not hooked up. With the handle up it hangs 4" below the trailer which is still higher then the bottom of the current tow vechile.

On a bright note I took it up to 65 and it tows great. Picture is with the airbags in the jeep and on the trailer all the way up.

no problem with 90*

On a sad note. I did not think about the interference of a jack with the tounge box. I can still put a box on the tounge that will hold the propane tank just not as large of one as i would like.

Did some wood working, wow its different, also got saw dust on my metal equipment :mad: I just wasnt thinking. But got the cabinet mostly done.

Sheeted it in 16ga and used sikaflex 221 on the seems under the metal. Try as i might i still got some warping to the sheet metal. After throwing a bunch of cinder blocks on it and using the sikaflex underneath it looks great and there isnt any give or popping anywhere. This is how it currently sits.

dthum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94