Long Term Expedition Trailer Build.

Badlands

The American West
Been building this trailer for awhile as both an expedition and/or emergency evacuation trailer. The plan was for long term self sufficiency in the field. I started out with a utility service box mounted on an I-beam frame, the trailer has a heavy duty axle with electric brakes, I flipped the axle to get the trailer up and installed 2 BF Goodrich mud terrain tires on bead lock wheels and ordered a 3rd wheel and tire as a spare. I then painted the trailer original Vietnam era O.D. Green. I cut the rack down and added a canopy which I bed linered on the outside and painted on the inside, then added an 8 ft ARB Canopy on the passenger side rack.

I mounted a shovel on the front compartment and made a rack across the tongue to hold a Honda Trail 70 motorcycle. The water cans are just sitting on the rack for now until I decide where to mount them. I bought a Radio Flyer wagon and painted it the same color as the trailer and bed linered the inside thinking it would work great for fetching water and supplies, Beats the heck out of carrying two 5 gallon jerry cans of water!

I am working on comms right now, The 102" CB whip antenna is installed and I am adding a scanner and ham antennas, I will keep my radios in a pelican case for safe keeping while traveling.

Just mounted a high lift jack on the rear bumper. Here are some other photos as of today.

I installed two 6 volt commercial batteries wired together for 12 volt then added a 1000 watt inverter, I still have to mount the two 120 watt solar panels on the canopy but I did install a trickle charger/battery maintainer for when electricity is available to keep the batteries topped off. I also added a 12 volt electrical fuse and switch panel made from a sprinkler control box.

In the rear I added a 100 gallon diesel fuel tank, a rack for the 5 gallon jerry cans of gas which are for the generator which I still have to install. Also a 65 gallon fresh water tank with electric pump plumbed to a brass faucet coming out the back of the trailer, it sits high enough to get a 5 gallon bucket under it and I can attach a hose to the faucet as well. I will also be installing a shower of some sort, I'm just not there yet!

Its getting there but still lots to do!

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Nice build. Have any more pictures of it in progress. What is the tow vehicle?

Great idea on the wagon.

Last edited:

Badlands

The American West
Nice build. Have any more pictures of it in progress. What is the tow vehicle?

Tow Vehicle is a 2002 Ford F350 extended cab short bed 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel. No other pictures as of yet, want to take one with the ARB canopy out, it really looks good!

D

Deleted member 9101

Holy crap!!! My grandpa has two of those service bodies at his shop... now I am getting ideas!

Badlands

The American West
Badlands, where did you get those shovel holders?

The shovel holders are the brand -Quick Fist- They sell them on ebay, Amazon and other online retailers. They sell them in a couple different sizes, the ones on my shovel are the medium ones, the next size down are pretty small, more like a broom pole handle size, the larger ones will fit around a standard fire extinguisher.

Badlands

The American West
Love it!

Where do you sleep?

I was going to build a platform over the tanks but then decided against it, sleeping inside with all the fuel would make me to nervous. I decided to get a pop up camper for the truck instead and use the trailer for resupplying the camper!

Badlands

The American West
I built this AWESOME 200cc Hot Rod Mini bike to go on the trailer but then couldn't make myself tear it down to paint it O.D Green, it was just to cool, so I sold it and am looking for a Honda Mini Trail 70 instead.

AND REMEMBER THIS!

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool. That has got to be a heavy beast! Although with the 7.3 you shouldn't really feel it....

I get big TD envy when I tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles