Field-repairable parts kit for G500

Juppies

Hey guys,

Relatively new here, but I've been a long-time lurker. Starting my G build very soon, and since I'm pretty OCD about planning and researching, I'm mocking-up my storage system and had a few questions for y'all. I plan on having a dedicated parts/tools Bundu Box or Alu-Box (or maybe even a drawer if my ridiculous drawer system ever comes to fruition... More on that in another post), and I'm wondering what your guys's 'cant-live-without' replacement parts would be. This will be in a 2007 G500. Crank sensors have popped up quite a bit, anything else field-repairable/replaceable that you G'ers wouldn't leave home without? Any special tools that I'd be stupid to leave home without?

I'm wanting to compile a kit that can solve the majority of the most common field-repairable G issues. I have this recurring scenario in my head where my 99% perfect pride-and-joy is left helpless and immobile in the middle of nowhere thanks to that 1%, which is probably a sub-$100 part that I should've had an extra of :eek:

Thanks ahead of time.

John

koly

Observer
Off the top of my head, the CPS (and the correct tools to replace it - a loooong socket extension), idler pulley, belt & tensioner pulley (see https://g-wagenaccessories.com/products/enginePulley.htm for some beautiful parts that are top notch), a working jack (your bottle jack's seals may start to give out after several years of storage, especially if in the 07 it's stored under the passenger seat where it gets a little toasty), materials to remove the door panel and hold the window in place to repair/remove a broken regulator...

RBA

Adventurer
I would carry wire cutters and a 2.5 inch bolt in case a window regulator breaks and you can't reset the window in the closed position. Worse case scenario you cut the metal wire that runs through the pulley, push the window closed and then use the bolt to hold the window up through one of the holes in the door frame. Not ideal but it will get you home like it did for me when in Utah and had to get home to California.

I would also have a TPS along with the CPS. I would also have a vacuum gauge to diagnose the vacuum system for the lockers in case they do not engage.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great thread on the in-field window regulator fix(you'll need to sign up on P3 to view the pics);
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/fo...=1&highlight=window+regulator&highlightmode=1

Karl at G-Wagen Accessories had made a prototype white tool to get the TransferCase out of being stuck in L, but it seems no one wanted to buy one so he scrapped the project. Would have been a handy tool to have.

I'd also add 2 wheel lugs(I got mine from H&R) to screw into the hub to aid in mounting the heavy wheel/tire in case you get a flat, then swap them back to OEM wheel lugs.

After my big SW trip, I've added Red/Blue Loctite, super glue, marine silicone sealant, high temp RTV make-a-gasket, JB Weld.

Some Pentosin CHF11S power steering/mineral fluid would be smart to add(I'll need to do that), along with the Total 5w40 synthetic.

Last edited:

ILIAN

Adventurer
I would have a serpentine belt and tensioner(I just put a new tensioner in and keep the old one as a spare as it was still good), alternator voltage regulator and all related auto repair related tools you have, fuel pump, all size fuses and a few different cheap relays like the fuel pump relay, OBD scanner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier