Roamin Chariot Pop-Up

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Congrats man looks great . And what a deal. Enjoy and happy camping . Does it have stove or sink or any other amenities ?

Airmonger

Adventurer
Congrats man looks great . And what a deal. Enjoy and happy camping . Does it have stove or sink or any other amenities ?

Nope, its just a shell. No sink, heater, or fridge. I am thinking that I will put in a wave 3 heater and use my Arb fridge. I probably wont put in a sink.

Airmonger

Adventurer
thanks for the bed pics, but i meant the interior one, LOL. imagine its similar to any other pop up, just curious about room with the wedge

This was about the best photo I could get. There isn't much room inside this thing to take photos with a phone camera.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Great looking camper!

I often wonder why we don't see more pop ups that hinge at the front like that. You certainly don't need lots of verticle space for your feet while sleeping. I'm sure it is easier to make it water tight with this opening method.

driftboatrick

Roamin Chariot Roof Blows Off

While on a trip last weekend I was traveling across Eastern Washington on I-90. Traveling at 70-73 mph I heard a loud noise and looked in the mirror only to see the roof of my 8' Roamin Chariot camper flying in the air. I have driven more than 10,000 miles with it, sometimes at speeds exceeding 80 mph in Utah and Idaho where legal. I also have driven a lot on very rough roads in North Idaho. There are only six or eight #10 sized deck style screws holding down the front edge of the camper roof. Everything tore off and half the camper unloaded itself into the air. Traffic was stopped and folks picked up my belongings before we could run back and help. I had drop drop off my drift boat and then drive along the backside of the guard rail to get to the pile of gear and the roof. My friend and I used the guard rail as a saw horse to help getting back on the top of the camper. We used a couple of ratchet straps that I had along to fasten it back together so i could get back to Spokane and remove it and replace with my canopy/topper repack and then head back out.

I don't think that they built a bad camper, I believe that I used it pretty hard and that if used on pavement and smooth roads it probably wouldn't have happened. However there wasn't much of a safety factor built in and not much holding it together in reality.

I just got back very late last night and haven't even been outside to look it over. Is it fixable, I think so. Would it be economical to be repaired? I don't know. The aluminum pieces that hold the top together are pretty banged up. The rear of the camper where the camper seals is pretty torn up. A lot of overall damage. I'll cover it with a good tarp and think about it more later.

Would I buy another one? I don't know yet. It was pretty scary to have the top fly off. I'm glad no one behind me got hurt. It makes you think a lot about liability. Especially if the manufacturer isn't there to stand behind you. Is there a way to fix the connection between the front of the top and the roof? I look it over. Maybe it's time to build a full pop-up from the base of the old unit. I liked the weight and the space. No complexity, no plumbing, just a bit of electrical wiring.

Lots to think about. Those of you that own one might consider adding some additional latches or improving the front hinge system. If I get the time soon I will take some pictures and post them here.

driftboatrick

Airmonger

Adventurer
Wow!!! That's pretty scary. I will probably look at adding latches to the front sides of the camper just as a precaution. I thought it was odd that they didn't have any but assumed since the front was hinged that it didn't need them. I'm glad everything ended ok and that you and everyone else didn't get hurt. Thanks for the heads up.

Airmonger

Adventurer

I got home and looked at the front of my trailer to find this. I am a little concerned if this is whats holding the lid on the camper.

driftboatrick

I got home and looked at the front of my trailer to find this. I am a little concerned if this is whats holding the lid on the camper.

There's not much holding it on. IMG_0498.jpg

I don't think it was specifically the speed I was driving at the time. I have driven 6,000 miles this year alone sometimes at 80+ in Utah and Idaho. I think it was the type of backcountry roads i drove on. The North Fork of the Clearwater, Kelly Creek and similar roads are very bumpy and probably loosened the five screws that hold the front on!

driftboatrick

driftboatrick

I see that some of my pictures didn't make it a previous post. Here they are.IMG_0500.jpg That's the corner that hit the pavement at 70 mph.

IMG_0501.jpg That's what the rear looks like with the door closed.

IMG_0506.jpg A view of the rear with the door opened.

IMG_0505.jpg Things got pretty torn up.

I hope that you never suffer from such an incident.

Airmonger

Adventurer
It's been a while since my last post on the camper so I had to summon all my automotive knowledge for this next big update.

I added a set of latches to the front of the camper to better secure it. I might still try and figure out how to attach some web straps to the front of the wedge to try and avoid a total roof malfunction like what happened to driftboatrick.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior