The Woofwagon. Beginning pictures

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I figured out an estimated horsepower for the Cadillac using the formula PLANK/33000:

Rough estimated horsepower calculation for the Cadillac 500 = 396hp at 2500 RPM, using the equation PLANK/33000. P = Indicated mean effective pressure in psi. L = Length of connecting rod length in feet. A = area of the piston in square inches. N= Number of working strokes per minute (RPM/2). K = number of cylinders. Therefore 160*(6.750/12)*14.52*(2500/2)*8 (eight cylinders) / 33000 = 396 horsepower. At 2000RPM (where the overdrive will be working at 70 mph) the estimated horsepower will be 316.8 horsepower. Far in excess required to maintain that speed. This number does not account for accumulated powertrain frictional losses and aerodynamic drag that the Suburbillac no doubt generates. Long story short, the Suburbillac will not be lacking in power and the engine will have little to no operational stresses. This also means that the engine will experience no where near its mechanical design limits.

justcuz

Explorer
That engine will be way under stressed.
Balanced with modern lubricants and properly calibrated fuel injection, should make it a nice 300,000 mile engine easily.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I fully agree. My plan is to use diesel rated 20W50 oil coupled with submicron bypass oil filtration. I have had great success using these filtration systems on my turbo diesel truck and regularly see 30,000 miles between oil changes. I also have an 8 quart cast aluminum oil pan for additional capacity in conjunction with a remote mounted full filter oil system planned. With oil coolers, this thing will run ********** dead at operating temperature even in the worst desert.

The next step is to get the block to the machine shop for inspection. Everything looks phenomenal thus far with the block, it may be just a ring and bearing job plus a balance.

That engine will be way under stressed.
Balanced with modern lubricants and properly calibrated fuel injection, should make it a nice 300,000 mile engine easily.

FBJR

Adventurer
Why 20/50 vs 15/40? Diesel spec is great for added zinc on a non roller motor but for the temps you run up there the lower rating might work better.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I could run either or. The Cadillac engine is a loose tolerance engine compared with the newer engines of the last 15 years. My choice engine rebuilder said that 20W50 or 15W40 would be fine.

FBJR

Adventurer
Its only loose if you machine and build it that way. Loose I would say 20/50 is fine. With modern machining and parts, doesn't need to be loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior