Oh boy. -NOW a build thread

deminimis

Explorer
Well, ordered a 2015 Ram 5500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab (black of course). It will have a Bradford 134" flatbed. Won't see the new rig until around the time of the Super Bowl, unfortunately. Instead of the usual 2" sq tube that I've seen as spacers b/t the FBs and frames, we'll go considerably smaller. There is nada on top of the Ram frame. Thus, we'll use 1/4" flatbar for the bed spacers. If math challenged, that gets the deck 1.75" lower than most FB installs I've seen. Custom below deck front boxes already built. I think they are big enough to house the smallest of diesel generators, should I find a pot-o-gold someday. Passenger box will get the on board air setup, and still have approx 2/3 of its usable space available for other goodies (air tank will be mounted elsewhere). Won't know if I need to install rear bags or not until I've got everything and the camper is plopped on there. With a 19,500 GVWR, not certain I'll need to add bags, but still will if there is too much squat. Since I'll carry two spares, trying to get my brain around that, without the goods in-hand. Since there will be some loss of space b/t the camper and the headache rack due to Brandford's design, I think that's the place to mount them (against the bulkhead). Obviously, I will not be able to access the spares with the camper on (thus requiring I raise the camper and pull forward a bit to get to them). Not sure I like that idea, but I think that's really the only option. If thinking large pass-through boxes underneath the camper (on the deck), that's a great idea, but two problems with that. If you look at the pic above, the AC unit of the camper is at nearly 12.5' on a pickup (a big pickup with air bags, but a pickup). That only leaves me 1' before I go overheight. I will not have that much room to spare (pun) when the camper is on the 5500 due to the FB thickness. Plus, don't want an unsighly amount of space between the cab roof and camper overhang (ugly and too much of a sail). Yup, I think headache mounted spares is the only way to go. Well that's all I'll have to report for some time, unfortunately.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
There is another option for your spare. One can go on the passenger side behind the cab. The tires are 34 inches. That is the exact size to fit through the boxes. PM if you want pictures. I have done three trucks like yours.

deminimis

Explorer
There is another option for your spare. One can go on the passenger side behind the cab. The tires are 34 inches. That is the exact size to fit through the boxes. PM if you want pictures. I have done three trucks like yours.

Not sure I'm following Capt'. Yes, a pic would be great. Thanks. I'll be carrying two spares. The headache rack has a tapered flare/support that is angled back. If a box was to sit right up against the headache rack, to be accessible with the camper in place, the side doors could not go all the way to the bottom as they would hit the headache rack support. loosing <1' of forward placement of the camper is fine (for the spares), but I don't want to go any further back than that (although it would be fine to have 3' hanging off the back of the flatbed, I'd rather have the mass as forward as possible with only 1.5' (approx) of camper overhang at the rear). If the door(s) opened to the rear, I'd have to pull the truck much more forward to be able to open the doors to access the spares (also to allow a search when reentering the US as it seems all pickup sized trucks get additional screening, or maybe I just look sketchier than most). Now I could cut the headache rack supports and install a permanent through-box to house the spares as this flatbed is going to see a lot of cutting/mods anyway (box would be welded in place with headache support welded to box). You know, that might be the right move. In fact, yes, that is the right move, the more I think about it. But yes, a pic would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

deminimis

Explorer
Although I can't find a good pic of the bed I'm actually getting, this different model from Bradford built shows the headache rack and deck detail.

phpThumb.php

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
The tire goes under the bed. It actually touches the frame rail. On the passenger side. I may have a picture in my build thread. F450 flatbed camper build. I will look. Where the little door is on the bed shown. The box / door is made 36 inches. And the tire fits there.

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks Capt. I already have custom built under body boxes built for that spot. Bradford has some lost space at the headache rack, so I'll use that space with a pair of spares. Thanks though. It's a great idea.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
My setup is only 11' 4" You might want to cut into the bed rails in order to lower the bed and camper. I start with the height of the cabover and build the bed to that height. You should only need 4 inches for the camper to sit at the right level.

deminimis

Explorer
My bulkhead is 48". I'll end up w/ approx 6" b/t cab and cabover. A bit more than I'd like, but not bad. On the upside, the front of the cabover will be nearly flush with the front of the cab roof, which I prefer. I was going to cut the rear of the deck at the sides by 4" for the camper, but probably just going to mod the tall camper 30# x2 propane box as that's the problem, and go w/ 20# tanks. Much easier, but going to have to come up with a new, smaller sized 20# propane tank door. Wish the truck was here so we could start fabbing the boxes. The end of January is a long way off.

Last edited:

deminimis

Explorer
Not having my future rig in hand, makes it a pain to plan. Fortunately, the local Ram dealer has a 5500 (same WB and dual tank setup) with the same Bradford FB on it. Thus, I get to get some basic measurements when needed. My headache box would work great for those times (the majority) when I have the TC on the bed. However, there are times when hauling hay, horses, etc., when I won't have the TC. During those times, especially when hauling horses, I'd like to still have use of the rear view mirror while going down the road. So, option one is making the box with a large "V" in the center so I'd still have at least a straight back view. Option two, is bag the box idea entirely and build two wheel wells for the spares to rest in (as far east and west as the headache rack allows). This would allow the most rear view vision. There is approx 6" of room between the deck and the bottom FB framing (or top of the underbody boxes). Dropping the spares 6" below the deck (vertically mounted) would also make it so I'd clear the headache rack upper light housing and lights. A simple lug type mount would secure the tires in place (or large ratchet strap). I'd still have to slide the camper back to access both tires (but no one could steal them either). Since I'm ordering a Buckstop front bumper, I could easily fab a strong front spare tire mount and carry one spare there for easy access (if/when not hauling a motorcycle up front). The wells would be easy enough to build (start with appropriate sized steel trailer fenders, add sheet to the sides, cut to fit and weld them in place (flush with the deck)). Simpler, cheaper, and a lot less mod to the flatbed. Suppose I'm just thinking out loud, but that seems the simple solution. I could always do the box thing later if I needed.

deminimis

Explorer
Silverado gone. Truckless now and that's a crappy place to be. Scheduled Ram build date is 12/9 (delivery first half of Jan). Not much to report now. Ordered a Buckstop Baja front bumper with an added crosstube: http://buckstop.biz/dodge10_baja.html. Chose Buckstop over Aluminess this time as I needed more tongue weight capacity for the receiver for the occassional spare or dualsport.

deminimis

Explorer
Was passing through Missouri (rail) very early this AM. Should be approaching Chicago about now. From there it will get a train ride west. Won't make it as an early XMas present, but hopefully the following week.

deminimis

Explorer
I've got a Bradford dealer a couple of blocks away from the Ram dealer. Bed has already arrived and waiting for me. I'll have the Bradford guy install it ($400) per my specs to keep it as low as possible. Once I have it home, I'll have my box guy start building the side and under body boxes (scrapped the idea of the other custom under body boxes as they giving up too much depth and the driver's side boxes will have to accommodate the two sumps). While that's going on, I'll start the camper mod so it can rest on the flatbed with only 1' extending past the end (to allow a route for the sewer pipe and generator exhaust). I will also likely cut the lower part of the flatbed at the rear so it won't auger in (which will also get rid of the flatbed bumper hitch), and install a Superhitch (as I will need to use my short SuperTruss at a minimum). I have two SuperTrusses (one I cut down as much as possible to max the capacity when I had my Bigfoot and one unadulterated 4'er). I won't know for sure (cutting the Bradford) until it's all together, but my guess is it will be too low at the rear (based on looking at one on a 5500 mounted 1.5" higher than mine will be). Although not the same truck setup, you can see my concern:

truck_bed1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles