Anyone know more about this beauty?

RobG4

Observer
IMG_7686.jpg

From https://huckberry.com/journal/posts/rally-in-the-wenatchee

smurf40

Observer
Hi, I built the truck several years ago and have been enjoying / modifying it ever since. It was built on an extremely low budget and all the work (save for one piece of aluminum that needed a special break in it) has been done by myself. It has had a few "renovations" of the interior over the years to better serve my growing family and our needs. The idea was hatched and the truck was built before my knowledge of "over landing" and I just wanted to travel on and off road and sleep without a tent. The truck has seen a fair bit of use. Being fairly compact it sees duty around home for pleasure, but it has had many trips around Western Canada and US. I would be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding the trucks construction or practicalities of such a build.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
smurf40 - please do expand, share some pictures of the inside and in use. I love the look of the 40!

smurf40

Observer
Hang on for interior pics! I apparently have to take some.

Here are a few of the build Here is the shot after I cut away nearly all the rust. IMG_0734.jpg

Next was the fabrication of floors and door jambs - 40's never had the upper door frames but luckily the tub lip is the same as the lower door sill.IMG_6503.jpg Once all the floors and sheet metal was good, I began building a frame work that would be the camper.

IMG_7752.jpg Once the outside skins were on (1/8" marine ply was screwed and PL glued on and Filon fiberglass was cement glued to that.) The roof was a one piece tin that in rolled over each side by 1.5" After the exterior was on the interior was insulated using 1" pink rigid styrofoam.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
At first i was concerned about how top heavy it might be . But i see that its not, like to see this. Do you have a build thread anywhere.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

smurf40

Observer
Hi guys,

No build thread, but I will try and post a few more pictures

As far as being top heavy, it is not too bad, I feel very comfortable on the street, and choose my line off road slightly more conservatively. Most of my weight is down low, and I have added new leafs to the rear (looking more like a one tonne) The weight on the rear actually improved the ability to keep the rear wheel in contact with the ground (the truck still has open diff's)

These pictures are a few years old (I have since lifted the back up slightly - with a heavy duty shackle and new shocks)

075.jpg

198.jpg

126.jpg

smurf40

Observer
Here are a few interior pictures. finally took some;)

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Table up / table down

013.jpg

The rear box / seat is used for a seat in travel and camping, it also folds down for luggage storage, has a huge gear storage under it and turns into a really great bed.

015.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 75

smurf40

Observer
Here is the outside table

025.jpg

026.jpg

Once the table is down, the propane tree extends out of the locking trap door that is in the side of the rear external aluminium storage box. It allows me to set up my lantern up high, stove, BBQ and hot water on demand on the exterior table. Works pretty good.

027.jpg

I use the rear external boxes for dirty, heavy items that I want to keep out of the truck and have quick easy access to. Recovery gear, tools, oils, military folding shovel and garbage is all often stored in these.

028.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne