M101A3 Budget Build

Lipek

Observer
After getting tired of cramming my camping gear in to the truck I've decided to get a trailer unfortunately all those nice "expedition" trailers were out of my price range which led me to Govliquidation site. May '13 i picked her up from Norfolk VA and she stayed stock until now.
First on the chopping block was the axle, I've replaced it with the Dexter ez-lube axle: 62" long hub to hub, 3"diameter plus 1 1/4" spacers to bring the total to the same width as the tow vehicle '07 fj cruiser.

We cut the axle out, and cut off the perches and rewelded them onto the new axle that matches the FJ bolt pattern. Next we cut off 5in of the outer fenders, tubbed the inner fenders to fit the new track width, then welded everything back together to keep oem look of the trailer.
Then we cut off the military pintle hitch system (surge brake inop), and installed the new lock'n'roll hitch, this required the reshaping of the front frame pattern to a larger angle to match the new hitch.
Future plans involve replacing the lights with led ones and adding the rack for the roof top tent, I'm thinking of making it out of telescoping square steel and adding gas shocks to assist it going up. Also stabilizing legs for the rear of the trailer.
Big thanks to my buddy Leroy aka Bandi for helping me (doing all the welding and fabrication)
2 like new HMMWV wheels/tires, complete axle w/parking brakes and lunnete w/landing leg are for sale in NJ.
org.jpgoutside fender finished.jpegoutside done.jpgoutside cut.jpegold axle.jpegnew axle.jpeglock'n'roll.jpeginside cut.jpegfj.JPGphoto 3.jpg

Lipek

Observer
I want to paint the trailer a neutral color that will go good with any vehicle color not just what I currently own. I'm looking around for a 20-25 gal water tank, hand pump and electrical pump, on demand propane water heater and a tongue box to accommodate batteries and a propane tank. Also some sort of spare wheel carrier in the back.
Currently I'm searching high and low for a RTT and being that it's a budget build I think I found a good candidate at truckandwinch.com, it's a 2+ person tent made by tuff stuff that comes with the awning and have a great price.
Mark I'm very familiar with your build I've read it a million times while doing my research.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Build is looking good. Good call waiting until you are done to paint. Be prepared to never paint it though :)

I painted mine flat black because it is easy to touch up and I can paint as I build. The tan rack on my trailer gets just as hot as the black body.

Do you have any more pics of the axle shock mounts installed on new axle and how the old axle looked after cutting them off?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Member Pikeman did a nice job on an axle swap and made custom shock mounts.

Attachments

• DSCF5656.jpg
    DSCF5656.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF5662.jpg
    DSCF5662.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 66

Lipek

Observer
I pretty much cut off the old bottom spring seat/shock mount of the old axle and welded on to the new one. Since it was only spot welded on the old axle and new axle was the same dia it was a direct fit
upaduvy7.jpg
nuryqu3a.jpg

FandL

JK ADDICTION
I can't wait to see the pics of the RTT installed. I'm torn on fabricating a platform and using a conventional tent or going for a RTT.

Keep us posted. I started following your thread....

Xodius

Adventurer
I have looked at these so many times but stop myself only because I have a jeep JKU and am not sure if it would be too heavy for it especially being in the mountains.

Phoenix

Adventurer
I wouldn't compare the East Coast to any Mountainous region, but the '12 JKU Rubicon Auto handles this trailer just fine up 10 mile climbs on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior