Sewing machines

BrianTN

Adventurer
So I'm in the market for a dependable sewing machine that will sew through some thick material. I'm making a canvas top for the bed rack on my truck. I'll be using Sunbrella marine fabric and polyester webbing for the straps. I've been looking through the cheaper options from Singer and Brother, but I doubt they will sew through the webbing. After some searching I've run across some ideas. Does anyone have experience with a Pfaff 130? It's old, but they sound like some very dependable workhorses that sew through just about anything that fits under the foot. The other machine I'm looking at is a Janome HD1000. This one sounds nice as it's new with a warranty, and apparently can sew some thick fabrics. There is a Youtube video showing it sewing through a wooden yardstick. Any other machines I should look at?

MDM54

Observer
Check out the Consew 206 RB5. Great great great super dependable reliable industrial walking foot sewing machine. All metal except for the stitch length adjuster, large horizontal axis bobbin, built in bobbin winder. About $1300.00 including head, stand and servo motor. Keystone Sewing Machine (www.KeySew.com 215-922-6900 Gregg O'Neill) in Philadelphia ships them on a pallet set up, gone over (necessary these days) and ready to sew. I've got (2) regular arm and (1) long arm. Will handle Sunbrella or the vinyl coated polyester pop up fabric with ease. Any and all home sewing machines will not handle the size #92 thread necessary to work with what you want to do. Thread available at consumer fabric stores is meant for apparel fabrics and does not have the tensile strength or UV inhibitors and your project will fall apart if used under the sun. To contradict myself, if you can't spring for the Consew, check out the Singer 201 readily available from about $75. Got a couple of them also. Now if you need to sew a beer can to an inch thick stack of webbing, check out the 7 Class Singer. Got one of them also. Run away from any Singer industial machine made after the 111W particularly avoid the Singer 212. Singer 31-15 are very good tailoring machines, readily available but not up to your task.

I just picked up a Singer 15 with Potted (gear driven) motor for $71 shipped on eBay. eBay can be a bit pricey for them but I got lucky. It was recommended not to pay more than about $50 since people take advantage of the fact that most think these units are older than they are and rarer than they are and I have to say that advise was correct. I had scanned my local CL for them under $100 and found many in various conditions. I could easily have gotten one sooner, within an hour's drive from my area, if scheduling would have allowed.

I'd say search CL a bit more and go with a Singer 15 variant or 201.

Last edited:

BrianTN

Adventurer
So far the majority of Singer 15 or 201 that I see are around $200-300 and refurbished. Think this price is worth it? It would be nice to have the wiring replaced.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The wiring on the Singer 15 is not that complicated. If you have an old two prong extension cord lying around, you can use that to replace the original wiring. Its pretty much the same stuff, just with better insulating rubber. The hardest thing to replace, when I got my Model 15 was finding a belt for the motor to drive the machine with. I ended up having to make one myself. It works, but it can be a pain. If you decide to refurbish one yourself, I recommend you get a decent set of screw drivers and a dremel tool with plenty of polishing wheels and compound and several mini wire wheels. They'll come in handy if there is any rust.

That being said, the Model 15 really is robust. I've used mine to sew leather projects and it will go right through 1/8" of stacked leather with little to no problem, though I have to hand turn it to get that to work.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I checked craigslist near me and there is only one Singer, and it's $200. I'll keep checking every now and then. Hopefully I can start working on the top, this has been a very prolonged project and I'm ready to finish it.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Its late & I forgot what brand I have

only used it so far to make a few DIY hammocks

however any respectable man calls it a thread injector :victory:

subytoy

Observer
I have a Singer 99k that I bought at a local antique store for $35. It was made circa 1928 and works like a dream. It will sew through several layers of the heaviest canvas I have. Oh, and it's cool looking too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles