Opinions needed. Solution for family of 4- Trailer-RTT-Camper options.

Lecoq

Explorer
Good evening,

I'm looking for options, opinions and ideas. My current setup is my Jeep Grand Cherokee, a bunch of action packers, a Marmot 4 person tent, an ARB awning and a ARB fridge. The tent is a bit small for the whole family and I'm looking at options. I'm trying to keep the cost down and have a versatile setup that can go most anywhere. Ideally I'd purchase a Conqueror UEV but it's way out of my budget.

The options I have on the table so far are:

Roof top tent

Pros
-Versatile
-Fairly inexpensive
-Annex can have the kids sleep in the tent or in the annex
-Fast setup and take down
-Fits in the garage

Cons
-Pain to install and remove (ski box would have to go back on for winter)
-Not sure how warm they are
-Still need to pack lots of stuff in the truck and loss of roof storage
-No bathroom or shower (wife would appreciate the luxury)

Teardrop trailer

Pros
-Can be versatile depending on configuration
-Easy to tow and pack
-Should be comfortable

Cons
-Would have to be a smaller footprint as I have limited storage beside the house
-No bathroom or shower
-Would have to be left at trail head to avoid damage
-Cost can be pretty high and availability is scarce

12-16 foot camper

Pros
-Comfort
-Weatherproof for the most situations
-Packing is simple and quick
-Shower and bathroom (happy wife)

Cons
-Size, most likely would have to be stored somewhere at a cost
-Not very offroad friendly
-Cost is high plus insurance, maintenance and fees (dumping waste and such)

I would love to hear your opinions. Keep in mind a budget under $5000.

I think you have to sit be honest about the kind of camper you are.

If showers and such are important, it is best to stay with something that can accommodate such luxury and keep the wife happy.

Roof top tents are great (I have one) but it is indeed a pain to install unless you have a low trailer or truck bed.

I have a RTT, and a nice ground canvas tent (Kodiak canvas). Sometimes camping situations are not friendly to a RTT if the actual camp site is a walk or hike from the truck. I also have a smaller NEMO for the really lightweight camping setup.

I also have a portable shower, with instant hot water heater, the girlfriend loves this setup. She would love a camper with built in shower, but that places you in the parking lot type camping world (which is not camping to me)

I say get both(RTT and nice ground tent). Flexibility is key here, and there is not a do it all solution.

Maybe a cheap used pop up tent trailer for the more cavalier type camping.

The least prep the better I say. The most stressful part about camping is getting things ready, not the actual trip.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I mimic what BlueCruiser said.

I would also add the Jumpingjqck/Lifetime tent trailer to your search. We have a lifetime with our family of five and it is comfortable for us. Had to change wheels and axles but great little trailer.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've had just about everything except a roof top tent. I think the most versatile of the bunch was a pop up trailer. They can be had from basic to small mansion, can be towed by most anything. If you're base camping, stupid easy to disconnect and get around. If momma doesn't want to go, she still has a place to call home while you're out and about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94