Harbor freight off road sale

paranoid56

Adventurer
Avoid anything that spins at high speed- i.e. wire wheels, grinding disc, etc. The Chinese are very generous with their rpm ratings and you really don't want something like a grinding disc coming apart at speed. I have had good luck with a set of their step drill bits but then I only use them on things like aluminum and plastic. Their small air brushes work pretty well too and they're cheap enough you can toss them if you forget and leave Duracoat or something in them.

been though at least 1k worth of cut off disks and 10 or so wire wheels and never had a problem. wire wheels loose wire all the time, but so did any name brand one.

Jcrayton99

Observer
Avoid anything that spins at high speed- i.e. wire wheels, grinding disc, etc. The Chinese are very generous with their rpm ratings and you really don't want something like a grinding disc coming apart at speed. I have had good luck with a set of their step drill bits but then I only use them on things like aluminum and plastic. Their small air brushes work pretty well too and they're cheap enough you can toss them if you forget and leave Duracoat or something in them.

Next time pull the label off one of their cutting wheels. Last time I did it was a Bosche wheel with the printed label off center. "High end" companies will sell their seconds to companies like HF for pennies just for minor labeling mistakes like that.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I can buy a 10 pack of Harbor freight discs for the price of 1 good one from the welding supply house I use. The one good one is a better deal at 10 times the cost. Don't know what's so different but the good ones are a treat in comparison.

Brewtus

Adventurer
I have used their 9k lb looped recovery straps for about 5 years along with their hitch mount D-link. I have two straps currently and have replaced two in the past as they got damaged rubbing on sharp edges. To date, I have not broken one. I would recommend getting some leather and hand stitching some protective sleeves for the loops; the cloth sleeves seem to be the first thing to wear out on those.

I go on a week long serious off-roading trip with a few other trucks once a year, and go out every winter and pull people out of the snow. These aren't things that just get stuck in the tool box and not used; they get used a lot. I'm only driving a 1500, so the weight rating is fine for me (I suspect their weight rating is actually a Working Load Limit and that the breaking strength is much higher as most polyester straps of the same size are rated higher). I'm not gentle with them either; I don't get a 20mph run up or anything, but we did have to jerk the crap out of them repeatedly to get the F-350 unstuck last year. I was a bit leery of the D-link hitch, because it appears to be two 5/16 plates with a single sided fillet weld to the hitch stinger; upon further inspection, the plates have a tang that go through the backing plate and have a very sizeable weld on the backside. So the fillet welds are effectively reinforcement.

I also have their hitch mount winch tray. However, I would not get one of their winches; I have a Smitty XRC8 that bolts up to the winch tray without modification. My grandfather and father are both obsessed with HF everything, it has been our experience that everything electrical is either underpowered or unreliable.

Also, their 6' lifting slings work great as tree savers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94