Through the roof on "The Dirtlab"

My roof doesn't have the usual vents used to run the wire from the roof to the interior. I am going to have to "drill a hole in the roof" to run my wiring. I am trying to figure out how to do this in a waterproof way. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ed

camper101

Observer
Olddog, I'm no expert on this but I'm getting ready to do the same. It seems that people use something like this, and that's more or less what Four Wheel Campers sells/uses as a solar plug.

AuntieM

Observer
Olddog, I'm no expert on this but I'm getting ready to do the same. It seems that people use something like this, and that's more or less what Four Wheel Campers sells/uses as a solar plug.

I'll check it out. I will be running 500 watts of solar and using #6 wire. It looks like this connector is more for light duty applications.

AuntieM

Observer
What type of mount are you looking at? NMO or what.

It doesn't look like an NMO is what I need. The unit that camper 101 mentioned is the right type but I don't think it will handle the power that I will be running. I will know more tomorrow when I can talk to the vendor.

camper101

Observer
65BAJA - I'm not the OP but I don't need mine to be quick release (I haven't installed yet...). I'd love to see some alternative ways to go through the roof if you have ideas.

Ideally I'd like to do something with a lower profile than the SAE plug sticking straight up.

camper101

Observer
FYI I ran across these and they might do the trick if you don't need quick-release. I'm thinking of either just using this (and nothing else) to go through the roof, or trying to make a tiny junction box and using them to run the wires out of the box.

Something like this perhaps, but maybe without the conduit? Or maybe like this, but not as bombproof (I like how he screws it down in the same way you'd screw down a solar plug though -- I don't know if I trust Silaprene or whatever to hold down a junction box).

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad idea to just run wires through the roof without any kind of grommet or protection like this one.

camper101

Observer
Or maybe even better: this one (don't buy that one unless you're in the UK or want to pay a lot for shipping...).

That might make it slightly less likely to snag on trees, but I'm thinking of just routing the wire straight backwards from the hole if I go without a junction box.

I just learned what a 'gland' is today...

camper101

Observer
Did you end up drilling a hole, and how did you waterproof it?

I'm wondering about just using a grommet to protect the wires, then stuffing a bunch of butyl tape around everything, and then covering on the roof with a generous dollop of sealant.

Is that too simple and something that would fall apart, or is there a decent chance that it would work?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I would use a Blue Sea's "Cable Clam" for the penetration - available from lots of places including West Marine stores in a couple of different sizes.

540740.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/blue-sea-...proof-through-deck-fittings--P003_094_003_008

camper101

Observer
Interesting, thanks. That led me to the side-entry Cable Clam, which I really like the looks of.

Not sure if two 10 AWG PV wires will fit through the side-entry version, but if not I'll consider splicing and using a short section of smaller wire to go through there.

Arclight

SAR guy
The industry name for a sealed fitting that passes wires through something is a "cord grip." I used these on the roof of my camper shell for the side-facing off-road lights, but they would be fine for solar as well. Here is a link to various types:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cord-grips/=tvx31w

The liquid-tight variety made from black, UV-resistant plastic are pretty good for this.

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles