T-Rey's Expedition Trailer Build

FinsUp

Adventurer
Very nice. Great looking trailer. I really like the way you mounted the battery box on top of the water cans. Good use of space.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Very nice. Great looking trailer. I really like the way you mounted the battery box on top of the water cans. Good use of space.

Thanks. The whole point was to maximize the space and not have to purchase anything additional. Need to get the battery installed and confirm everything.

whatevah

Observer
I do like that battery over water cans idea... might steal it for my build. How is your tongue weight, though? Seems like it could be a lot more than the recommended 10-15%.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I am a little concerned so trying to add some weight to the rear of the trailer to even it out. Putting my spare tire in the rear hitch and the heavy stuff on the rear end

drsmonkey

Observer
TMReyes1, Curious what lug nuts you have on your trailer. I have the same Taco wheels and new 6on5.5 hubs to put on my trailer, but the trailer hub studs are 1/2"-20 thread and the OEM lugs for the wheels are 12mm-1.5 shank style. Also the taco wheels are hub centric further complicating things.

Did you just use acorn style lug nuts, or were you able to find 1/2"-20 shanks that fit? Pressed in new metric studs? Or do you have adapters? If you are using shank style lugs are you using a spacer to fit the hub bore?

I'm hesitant to run acorns on the alloy wheels, can't find sae shank style lugs that will fit, can't find metric studs that have the proper spline diameter to press into the hubs I have (3500lb Dexter drums), and I don't want to widen the trailers track width by 2.5" to fit adapters.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
TMReyes1, Curious what lug nuts you have on your trailer. I have the same Taco wheels and new 6on5.5 hubs to put on my trailer, but the trailer hub studs are 1/2"-20 thread and the OEM lugs for the wheels are 12mm-1.5 shank style. Also the taco wheels are hub centric further complicating things.

Did you just use acorn style lug nuts, or were you able to find 1/2"-20 shanks that fit? Pressed in new metric studs? Or do you have adapters? If you are using shank style lugs are you using a spacer to fit the hub bore?

I'm hesitant to run acorns on the alloy wheels, can't find sae shank style lugs that will fit, can't find metric studs that have the proper spline diameter to press into the hubs I have (3500lb Dexter drums), and I don't want to widen the trailers track width by 2.5" to fit adapters.

I purchased new studs from O'Riley using a 2011 tacoma vehicle look up and used the factory lugs that will center the wheel on the hub since it is smaller than the rim center hole. No problem install in into the hubs. A hammer works good or if you have a vise even better.

Purpura1

Thanks for the info on the Facebook site. Very nice build, I may borrow a few of your ideas.

cheers
Dom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior