EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

ibanezer

Adventurer
How do you like that roof rack? Looks like the Curt model with extension? I should be getting mine on this weekend. What is that spare tire carrier you have?

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I'm sure its the exact same as the Curt but I actually got it from Cabelas. Its their basket and I actually have two extensions on there. No complaints other than the powdercoat sucks (just like every other powdercoat I've ever seen). I plan on removing the coating at some point and just painting it.

The carrier is the Detours Knucklebone.

screwball48

Explorer
Looking good. How do you like the detours carrier? I have thought about going with one, but I am worried that lifting the tire every time I want to open the back will get old quick.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
For the price you absolutely cannot beat it. I have a swing-away style carrier on my TJ and honestly this one isn't much different. Slightly more inconvenient but having the spare out of the Jeep (and not on the roof) well outweighs having to lift the tire. It's only a 31 and I am a big guy, too, so for me it's a non-issue. I looked at numerous tire carrier bumpers and to me they are all overpriced and most look like cheap junk. Additionally, I don't really think the XJ body was designed to have much torsion on it from a big *** spare swinging off of one corner of it. Seems like a lot of them sag (even the $1200-1500 ones) and end up wrecking the unibody. Therefore, this carrier was a no-brainer for me.

Plus, Mark is great to deal with. Definitely an old-school Jeeper who knows his stuff.

screwball48

Explorer
Thank you for the reply. I have one of the Detours bumper brow light bars. It is defiantly overbuilt (in a good way) for its intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibanezer

Adventurer
I've been looking at tire carrier bumpers a lot lately too and couldn't justify the price of one. Eventually I might try have a friend fab one up for me, but for now I'll just be keeping the spare on the roof when I'm out in the jeep. :cool:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Been busy this week. First, this:
20151015_072556_zpsjzzvyfub.jpg

Beautiful
20151014_202852_zpsfgrdskbr.jpg

Before and after (low beam). I need to adjust the aiming but I am incredibly happy with these. I can actually see at night!
PhotoGrid_1444869458368_zpsh7tcywks.jpg

Last edited:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Finally, I have been wanting to add some safety for rear seat passengers. I picked up the seatback from a 98 ZJ to source some headrests for my XJ.

Before:
20151016_095724_zps8wagmeto.jpg

This is the headrest bracket from inside the ZJ seat. I cut this off at the bottom and cut the tube straight through about 2 inches from the bracket on each side
20151015_164619_zpshfietpml.jpg

This is inside of the XJ foam. Interesting that it already had a recessed area for headrests. From what I read, they came standard on European and Australian models.
20151016_101720_zpsaymbllx2.jpg

Then I welded the tube/bracket to the XJ seatback. Once done, reinstall foam and cutout small areas for the headrest tube to pass through. Finally, reinstall cover and cut slits for the top of the headrest tubes to pass through. Here it is finished:
20151016_135154_zps9wlgllaw.jpg

20151016_135120_zpshv12xjkb.jpg

Color isn't 100% matching but it doesn't look bad at all. In the future I am planning on swapping the front seats for WJ seats. I may have everything reupholstered once I do that to match but I can definitely live with these!

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
After months of building I am finally done with my drawer system. Still need to add tie-down points and a cooler slide but the main structure is finally complete. Total investment (not including too much labor) is about $200. That's a hell of a lot better than a generic pre-fab unit for $1,200-$1,500.

IMG_20151022_203445_zpsmw0amqzk.jpg

DailyJeep

Adventurer
Out of both my slightly modified Cherokee and my highly modified Cherokee, TruckLites are easily the best upgrade between the two. It's so incredibly nice to be able to see at night AND know you're not blinding on coming traffic.

Last edited:

ADTR14

Observer
I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with rallylights/h4 set up I just bought. Couldn't quite convince myself to pull the trigger on the trucklites. Drawer system looks great!

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with rallylights/h4 set up I just bought. Couldn't quite convince myself to pull the trigger on the trucklites. Drawer system looks great!

I've got Delta Quadbar H4s on my TJ and I've been pleased with them. LEDs are definitely better but I haven't been dissatisfied with them at all.

Thanks! Took long enough to build! Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz