Red's deuce camper project

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
With the medium duty's my service truck was a 5500 series sterling, then a freightliner, both with the 6.7 cummins. The freightliner was rated as a 21,500 chassis but I never drove it across a scale to find out the actual weight. Never had a trailer behind them.

my rolling weight in the deuce is 13,720 with parts and a half tank of fuel. Adding the spare tire, another 25 gallons of fuel, front and rear electric winches and some tools would be an additional 800 pounds, roughly 14,500 for rolling weight.

Any noticeable fuel economy difference in a medium duty between the smaller motors and the larger ones? 5.9/6.6 versus the dt466 and 8.3. Even in stock form all the engines listed are nearly (or past) double the power output of the stock engine.

back woods

Observer
The larger engines dont work as hard so their mileage is the same if not better than a smaller engine. Compare running 85% throttle all the time compared to 50% throttle with similar injection systems.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thought you were enroute to Washington?

Well, that is no bueno, what happened? Did it die on your trip or after you had arrived?

I was headed to Washington, the old multifuel decided that Utah will be home haha. Of all places for it to break down, this is perfect. I lived in this area for 3 years when I was in the military and many of my friends are still here. Surrounded by outdoor activities year round, city stuff when I want it, and it shouldn't be much longer before I have a job again. Had an interview on Monday that seemed to go well, and have another interview tomorrow for a different job.

Been looking at Ebay and other online places, the DT466 engine looks like the best option. Price tag seems steady at 2000-3500 dollars for a running take out engine. 3" shorter length, 1" shorter height, and 1" narrower than the multifuel while saving 230 pounds. Stock power increase from the 330ft/lbs of the multifuel, to an increase of 400-600ft/lbs depending on year. No internal upgrades required to push the DT466 up to 1400ft/lbs of torque, only turbo and fuel. Way over my plans, but speaks volumes to the strength of the internals. with engine mounts the rear mounts are the same design, which are easy to modify if necessary. Will most likely have to modify the front mount to line up. Most of these engines have a power steering pump, and some have AC compressors. 2 very nice upgrades.

Oh with the 8.3 cummins I had bad info on it's dimensions, it will fit in a stock A2 deuce. A NHC250 cummins wont.

Will be using the stock radiator, never had any overheating concerns. While the engine is out figure it will be the best time to go ahead and install the power steering gearbox and a new column. Will run the air intake from a 5 ton military truck, places the air filter outside the engine bay on the front passenger side fender. Plenty of coolant ports to plumb a heater into, maybe this winter but probably not until next year. Not sure what to do for an intercooler yet, there is not enough room between the grill and radiator for a intercooler in stock form.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
I am a huge fan of the dt466, it the the big brother to my dt360! They share tons of parts and are easy to get! You will be happy with a dt466. I would get a p-pump model, if it was my project, less headache in wiring to deal with. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thank you!!

Finally have a job again, start working tomorrow so money will be coming in and progress will be made!

For the transmission decided to go with a Spicer 6453 5 speed manual. They were used in the military 5 ton trucks, the big brothers to the 2.5 ton that I have. .78 overdrive ratio so my cruising speed will still have the same limit for now, but the trans is rated to handle over 650ft/lbs of torque so it will work just fine for my truck, and it's CHEAP!!

Planning to order the DT466 engine in about a month. Finding them for about 2000-2500 that are 'running when pulled' condition. Whether it's the older mechanical fuel pump or the newer electronically controlled makes no difference in price. Working on a friends wrecker first, so we can use it to fix my truck.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
What transmission is in your deuce now? I am looking for a spicer 3053 for my truck.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Spicer 3053a, normal 5 speed manual that comes in the M35a2 trucks. they are not rated for much power (stronger than a nv4500). The spicer 6453 is just a few inches bigger with a much higher torque rating.

The 3053a that's currently in my truck is questionable. When the motor locked up going down that 8 percent grade I decided to sacrifice the clutch to maintain control and wore it down to the point I could feel/hear the rivets digging into metal, either the flywheel or the pressure plate.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
If you plan to get a different tranny, would you sell me yours?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Well, project is making headway again! Replacement engine is payed for, will be here in a week or 2.

DT466 auction 1.JPG

DT466 auction 2.JPG

DT466 auction 3.JPG

DT466 auction 4.JPG

1982 International DT466 with about 150,000 miles on it. It's the 180hp (500+ft/lbs of torque) model. Since the engine comes with the power steering pump the truck is going to get a power steering upgrade as well.

DzlToy

Explorer
A mate of mine has one about 10 years newer and with a tranny that he needs to get rid of if you run into any trouble with yours.

Looking forward to the repower.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Engine will be here the first week of August, getting excited!

Looking for transmission's now. I can get the Spicer 6453, with a new clutch, for 900-1200 dollars completely new. The question I'm asking myself is, what about going for a transmission that fixes all the issues with stock? The 6453 is stronger and has similar gear ratio's to the stock 3053 trans that the deuce has. 5 speed with large gaps, 6:1 first gear and .79:1 fifth gear (.78 in the 6453), which put me at 2100 rpm at 55mph. Works ok, but it's past the peak fuel efficiency by a few hundred rpm.

Looking at Eaton/Fuller's information pages, a 13 speed RTOO9513, RTOO11613, RTOO14613 transmission would take care of all concerns. 12:1 first and final overdrive of .62:1 provides with nice and close gears for when I'm loaded down with cargo, Just under 1700rpm at 55mph which will help with fuel economy.
http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Transmissions/PCT_486870

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke