Red's deuce camper project

Ramdough

Adventurer
Any updates?

I love the build and the story, I am trying to decide on a vehicle in the 2.5t to 5t range.

The multi fuel is very appealing, because I have sources for wmo. Given the potential for free wmo, or the benefits of a 5t, what would you do?

Thanks

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
They did install multifuel engines in the 5 ton trucks for awhile, my M51a2 dump truck has that engine in it. It's a more powerful version of the engine that went in the 2.5 ton deuce. 135hp 330ft/lbs torque in the LDT multifuel deuce, 180hp roughly 400ft/lbs torque LDS multifuel in the 5 ton.

Each of the trucks has their benefits.

M35a2 Deuce-Multifuel, manual transmission, roughly 14k pound weight, big truck but not huge and does fit into a normal parking lot space. Driveline parts are not as heavy so it's easier to work on. Downsides are manual steering, parts availability for the engine/transmission (have to be shipped), and the single circuit hydraulic brakes.

5 tons
M39 series (M51, 52, 54...)-The A0's were gas, A1's have a Mack diesel, A2's multifuel. 5 speed manual, lightest of the 5 tons. Can either go with bigger tires for faster speeds or swap the transfercase Downsides are the single circuit hydraulic brakes and they are harder to find.

M809 series-Cummins NHC250 engine, manual trans. Parts for everything with the drivetrain is readily available. Same bigger tires or swap tcase for higher speeds Downsides are the same hydraulic brakes and fuel economy. That 14L motor will vary from 3.5 to 8mpg but most get 5-6mpg.

M939 series-NHC250 or Cummins 8.3L engine, auto trans, air brakes, CTIS on the A2 models (push button tire inflation/deflation). The cab is already insulated and wider, brakes have a backup system, entire hood and fenders tilt forward for easier engine work. Largest engine bay. Parts are available over the counter for the drivetrain. the A2's get similar fuel economy to the Deuce. Downsides are the CTIS system, cost of fixing the transmission, wedge air brakes. These trucks have a body lift for the cab from the factory so they sit higher.

Considering that you like the upgrades that a 5 ton has and want a multifuel, I'd look for a M39 series 5 ton. Has the multifuel, the brakes can be upgraded (for a backup system).

Couple updates on the wrecker. For the first time in at least 3 years it has now driven on the highway! After servicing all the axle hubs and replacing the brake master cylinder it went for a road trip to be closer to home. Cruised at 55mph without issue on the highway (2000rpm).

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Awhile ago I towed the m51 back to the lot. Front 2 tires need tubes so I decided to just lift tow the truck back.

I might have the m51 sold (have a deposit, waiting for the rest of the money in a few weeks) so I'll be back to just the m816 wrecker for awhile. You can camp off of the wrecker when needed. Extend the crane outriggers on one side and tie a hammock between them haha. Actually works pretty well, spent a few weekends sleeping like that off of it.

Friend of mine mentioned an idea though, why not just swap the wrecker bed for a camper as needed?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Initial testing with a cheap walmart hammock. Far enough from the tires/truck that it can sway some but close enough that I can easily put my hand on the tire to stop the swinging.

I'm working on modifying the cargo cover so it can be setup off of the side of the truck. Normally the wrecker is used as my mobile shop/recovery truck because that's pretty much what it was designed for and fills that role well. Setting up the cargo cover will provide some protection from the elements for both working on stuff beside the truck and when lying in the hammock.

These simple mods do not make a military wrecker an ideal camper by any means, just provide a comfortable way to camp with it when necessary. It's roughly 10 tons worth of equipment/tools that make up the wrecker bed.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
That would seem to be a ginormous pain in the a55? With the hydraulics and such, it sounds a bit more complicated than sliding the MUST shelter on and off?

It would be more complex than a shelter installed/removed from a cargo truck.

The M816 has the 20k pound crane and 45k pound rear winch built into the bed. Both are powered by PTO shafts that are driven by the transfer case. The crane is hydraulic powered but the pump is attached to the bed, not the truck chassis.

So to remove the wrecker bed would require removing a total of 10 bolts from the 2 PTO shafts, secure the shafts to the bed. Unbolt the bed from the chassis, setup the 4 outriggers on the bed, then drive the truck out from under. The outriggers don't take very long to setup even though they are manual instead of hydraulic. This would leave the bed standing on the outriggers. Can be secure, but roughly 20 thousands pounds standing a few feet off the ground doesn't seem the safest to me.

Bed removal could be simplified by replacing the anchor bolts with the cam lock setup that they use on shipping containers after making some new brackets. Flip a few levers and the bed would no longer be secured to the chassis. The PTO systems to the bed could be replaced with hydraulics by converting the bed to function like the newer M936 wrecker and just use quick disconnect fittings on the hoses but it comes at a cost. Both in money spent to convert and the reduction of power with the rear winch (drops to a roughly 30k pound rating).

Another way to remove the bed would be to install a tail roller on the frame (like was done to the deuce bed) and either install a 3rd winch or relocate the rear winch to the chassis right behind the cab. That would be the safest route but would require the most amount of modifications.

Just an option that a friend threw out there. Main benefit I can see from it is there would only be 1 truck to deal with. Less maintenance, lower cost, cheaper insurance, vehicle upgrades won't need to be repeated across multiple vehicles. Biggest down side is the complexity of removing the wrecker bed.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Installed 3 storage boxes onto the front of the truck recently. When lift towing another vehicle the front end of the truck gets lighter, light enough to lift the wrecker's front tires off the ground in some cases. To help with that 2 boxes were mounted behind the front bumper and loaded up with the snatch blocks, some of the heaviest smaller equipment that is on the truck. Doing this transferred about 500 pounds from the rear axles to the front of the truck. This is weight that the truck was already carrying, just been relocated. The 3rd box was bolted onto the passenger fender and won't be used for much weight. Most likely will be used to stow the cargo cover when not in use and some spare parts for the truck such as wheel bearings/seals and engine belts.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Took the wrecker on a nearby camping/offroad trip last weekend. Clear weather with lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's with little wind. Truck performed great on the trails and the hammock setup made for a cozy and comfortable night. I've slept in hot weather with it but this was the first cold weather trip sleeping in a hammock for me.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Couple updates. Back in November arranged a trade for some upgraded brakes and a detroit locker for the rear axle. This generation of truck had single circuit hydraulic brakes which is not ideal for safety. They stop the truck well but if there is a leak anywhere in the system (wheel cylinders, hoses....) then you have no brakes. Stock parking brake is known to be weak as well.

The trade was for a set of air brakes from the newer m939 series of trucks. More brake pad material which will stop the roughly 38,000 lbs of weight better, and they are a dual circuit design. Meaning that if there is a problem, the brakes on the rear axles will engage and bring the truck to a stop. Much safer. So started the swap by setting up the outriggers then removing the wheels/tires and original brakes.

Took the old brakes and a transfercase I had down for the trade.

Airbrake parts and locker picked up

As weather cooperates the new brake parts are going on. I was not planning to do any work to the truck until spring so taking my time and not working in the snow haha.

Once the air brakes are installed the rear axles/suspension will be removed from the truck to install the locker into the middle axle, then roll them back under the truck and complete the work.

In the second picture you will notice what is left of the dump truck. Turning the frame/rear suspension into a trailer. Arranged another trade. In exchange for the dump bed and it's components I'm getting the shelter from a m109a3. It's a 12ft long 8ft wide shelter that will make a good camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000