Red's deuce camper project

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Yes the tires will help a lot with the rpm. Offroad they perform nicely as well, great tire for these trucks.

I'm planning to run a MUST shelter in the bed. When closed its the same size as an S280 shelter, but the sides open up to expand an extra 5ft per side. I'll be mounting a 12000 pound winch in the bed to install and remove the shelter as needed. It would be great to have a m109 as a dedicated camper, but I don't have room for 2 of these trucks and I use the a2's bed fairly often.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thanks. Its becoming a very good utilitarian truck.

Installed the new tires today, flipped the rear hubs, replaced a leaking wheel cylinder. Has been a busy weekend.

9b397d7a3933e0152463530a3229ca47.jpg

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Man, that looks AWESOME! 6x6 on super singles look so sweet. The bed your looking at is also pretty sweet, your going to have a TON of floor space when it's setup, which to me is a great thing to have.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thanks y'all. The new tires are a huge upgrade, robs some power but benefits with bead locks, traction, run flats, higher top speed, no tubes, and very thick rubber (extremely difficult to puncture the tires). They are 46" tall, allow for 60mph cruising comfortably.

Next upgrades are seats, power steering, and adding a 12 volt system.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Not yet, waiting to turn the fuel up until I install a boost and egt gauge. Only engine related work I've done is upgrade the first fuel filter to a spin on setup and add a coolant filter.

Later the turbo might be swapped for a more efficient one and head studs added.

It will get up to 60mph but could use a little more to maintain it easier.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
C, the whistler. Once I get the gauges I'll turn up the fuel and decide from there if it needs a turbo upgrade. One that kicks in a little earlier and flows at 15-18psi in the 2000 rpm range.

mp_tx

Observer
Very nice conversion. I can honestly say I was never into the Deuce for practical reasons (storage comes to mind), but I really like the MRAP super single conversion, and now find myself looking for a suitable deuce and all the parts necessary for the conversion.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I guess i've never seen an aftermarket turbo swap but there are so many companies that could fit a proper aftermarket turbo on there, i bet she'd perform pretty well!

Are their aftermarket headstuds for that motor? I didn't get that far on mine. Studs, alil fuel and a matched turbo would be quite the setup!

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Very nice conversion. I can honestly say I was never into the Deuce for practical reasons (storage comes to mind), but I really like the MRAP super single conversion, and now find myself looking for a suitable deuce and all the parts necessary for the conversion.
Haha its actually a pretty practical truck with a few upgrades. With size its a little shorter than a crew cab long bed pickup. Add power steering and the taller tires then it's set. To run the MRAP wheels you need the adapter plates (bout $110 each) and 10 1x3" bolts per wheel.

The turbo is a T6 flange so getting another turbo adapted should be easy. ARP makes head studs which helps but the motor will never be a high power setup. 500-550 ft/lbs of torque is about max reliably. The stock turbos can be turned up high enough to blow the engine, and most people drive in the 2200-2600rpm range (by red line). My goal is to cruise at max torque, 1800-2000rpm, with the best fuel economy and less wear on the engine. So finding a turbo that puts out the boost low in the rpm range on a 7.8L is the plan later if necessary.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I've got a 71 M35, also and enjoying your build.

Question... Who did you source the tires and wheels from and are you planning on a spare tire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles