Red's deuce camper project

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thanks, going well so far and have much more to come.

I picked up the tires from a friend in El Paso, bout $225 each including wheels/run flats. If you need some shoot me a PM and I'll get you his info. Know a guy in Arizona with them as well.

I have a spare tire that will be mounted in the stock location. Need to modify the mount some for clearance first.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
8cb8d02f829316f556c6c95a9190aff5.jpg

New seats are installed, much more comfortable to drive.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Took care of a few little things today. The exhaust system is too heavy for the rubber hangers I was using, so it's been upgraded to chain.

Have had my 6ft cheater pipe rolling around in the bed, finally figured out a good place to mount it. Used a pair of 3" exhaust hangers and secured it to the frame along the driver side.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416714033461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416714033461.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416714091933.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416714091933.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416714233289.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416714233289.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416714310622.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416714310622.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 98
I'm certainly not the Big Truck expert here...but are you sure you want the chain supporting the exhaust pipe?

How about taking the nut off the clamp and attaching the chain to the clamp? Might not be as noisy...certainly won't rub through the exhaust pipe.

Personally...I think I might make a short cable in place of the chain...

HoHoHo :)

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Good point. The looped chain was a road side fix when the rubber mount broke and let the exhaust bounce on the rear axle. Will be modifying the exhaust clamp to be a hanger, same design as the other one by the muffler.

Can't hear the exhaust hangers when driving. Tires, wind, and engine are all louder. With the new tires the truck is quieter due to the lower engine rpm, around 80 decibels now in the cab.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Late to the game, but . . .
Nice ride. You got one of the Marine corp ones.
I know people that would have traded you bumpers to get one that has the MC "hair pins" welded on. :)
Good choice on seats, I'm going to be adding the same in mine. I've already decided that a 4 point and a roll cage is needed for the places I go. ;)

Just rolled an MC M109 into the compound. Helped someone get it out of a yard I know. I suspect he's going to be obsessed w/ it for the next few years. ;)

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thanks. Haha yes the friend I bought the tires from in el Paso mentioned that about the bumper, after I had cut them off hahaha.

You will like the seats, huge difference with comfort.

I've heard that the Marine m35's received a locker in the middle axle, haven't checked yet.

Looking forward to your build thread! These old trucks are fun

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Need to open the mount a little more but have the EGT gauge wired up and working.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419183726529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419183726529.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 81

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
If you're talking about the build on the M109 that will be someone else.

I did build out Tuff's 109 and have some of it Here (need to update that badly)
And all of it is at my site. She Beast

My truck may not get a thread, but my trailer has one started at DirtTrackTravelers

I'll def be watching what you do w/ yours :smiley_drive:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Looks like we have similar plans LowTech. How did your shelter fare with the drop from the truck to the trailer when you moved it?

Should have my shelter here in about 3 weeks. Not planning to tear into it until this summer, after the truck is complete. Still have the transmission upgrade, turbo, rear lockers (maybe), 12 volt system, and winches to do.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
The drop was nothing, prob no worse than a helo dropping it. ;)
The skids are sloped at the ends and mine has some bumpers on it (to space it out from the truck bed wall) that were the next step down. It all went smooth like butter. :)

What are you going to do w/ yours? Truck bed or trailer?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Good to know about the durability. Mine will be in the truck bed. Mounting a winch between the cab and the front of the bed to pull it up/lower it, and a roller at the end of the bed to make it easier to load/unload when needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles