Red's deuce camper project

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thanks. I'll have to figure out a way to open the roof/floor sections using 1 person. Right now it takes 2.

Weather permitting the camper will be on this weekend.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Are you going to do the stock strap-down, or just let it ride like that?
If you do strap it down you won't be able to open the sides, . . . hmm. How did they strap that model in?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
For now it will be strapped down, unable to expand. Thinking of bolting the sub frame to the bed in the future, would secure it to the truck and allow for the sides to be opened.

I can't expand the sides at the moment anyways, my bed sides are in the way.

What's fuel economy? Haha I don't know how much the camper will reduce the fuel economy, this is the first time its been on the bed. I averaged 10mpg without the camper cruising at 55-58mph, trailer made no difference. The camper makes for about 4 feet of a vertical wall over the cab to catch the wind.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
A drop side bed would be perfect, I'll keep an eye out for one. Other option would be to modify my current bed.

There will be a window installed on the back wall (door side) and most likely on the front. Can't put one on the sides, the floor folds up and the roof folds down along the sides.

The front is where the shower and toilet are going. The kitchen will be on a sliding base about halfway down.

For now just a twin bed running alongside the kitchen.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
My current ideas for the expanded floor plan (any input is well received, I'm not a designer by any means) is to use the center section for the bathroom, kitchen, and storage. One expansion to be used as a sleeping area. The other side to be used as a patio (walls removed, just the floor and ceiling).

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
2773f9aec191943e823be9d508334e12.jpg

f105dd0d930a9a0fa739a6dda8df2ace.jpg

Should be working now

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Cleaning up the walls and ceiling today. Little bit of spray and paper towels takes care of it easily.

Also measured the total height at 12ft 6 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94