Red's deuce camper project

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
The 6 speed medium duty is strong enough but doesn't have enough of an overdrive. The current 5 speed has a .79 overdrive that can be upgraded to a .69, great ratio for the truck but makes for some big gear ratio gaps. A .73 ratio and at least 6 forward gears would be ideal. Have a lot more reading to do but the 10-13 speed transmissions look interesting.

Joaquin do you have any info on the Allison?

"Sent from Serenity, passing through reaver territory"

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
Well exhaust is ready. Took it for a drive today without hearing protection, nice upgrade. Used a sound meter app on my phone, reading 69-70db at idle, 78-79 around town with the turbo whistling, and 84-85db cruising at 50mph with both vents and all 4 windows open. That's with the phone sitting next to me on the seat, in line with the transmission shifter.<br />
<br />
I'm happy with that. Quiet enough to hear a radio or a conversation, still leaves a fair amount of turbo whistle. <br />
<br />
The exhaust is close to the inside rear tires and does transfer some heat to them. When it's upgraded to the super singles it won't be a problem. Does not seem to transfer heat to the fuel tank, put my hand on the tank after driving in a few spots and there was no difference in feel.<br />
<br />
With the stack being gone I'm planning to run the intake snorkel there. Make it look similar to the original exhaust.<br/>

"Sent from Serenity, passing through reaver territory"

Gatsma

Adventurer
Red- How "tight" is the cab while driving- do the doors/windshield rattle, the top flop around much?
This is gonna be one cool rig(actually already is...) when you put a camper on it.
What do you have in mind for a camper?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
The top is tight, doesn't move. Same with the doors and windows. The middle support bow is loose and bounces some, and the window seals, don't seal lol. I'm sure there is some movement with the windows but I can't hear it over the engine. Maybe after the cab is insulated with the home made "lizard skin" I'll find it.

I have 2 camper ideas. Using a MUST expandable shelter for long trips and when the weather is cold. The other idea is a roof top tent mounted on a storage setup at the front of the bed. Leaves 8-9ft of bed open behind it for some toys like a side by side. Both setups would be removable using the rear winch and some ramps.

I plan to have the cargo easily removable for 1 person.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Very cool! And I KNOW you'll keep us all posted! So far, so good!
Also (on edit) it looks like she got a good hosing off; MUCH more photogenic....
BUT, you gotta fill us in on what this "lizard skin" you mentioned is.

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
I've had the bed partially loaded with broken cinder blocks from when I tore down part of the fence, have been waiting to give it a bath until those are gone. The weather decided that was taking too long and rained on it all morning long hahaha.

Lizard skin is basically an enamel paint thats mixed with glass or ceramic 'micro beads', providing insulation. The glass beads are hollow and help deaden sound, ceramic has been solid and helps with thermal. The 'micro beads' I'm going to use are hollow ceramic beads, provides a combination of both sound and thermal control. I will coat the inside of the cab, underside, and the inside of the engine bay with it.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Oh yeah, rain is way easier than hosing it off!
Under the heading, "General Expedition Camper Discussion and Modifications", under the title "Roof Insulating Paint" Joaquin Suave posted about some materials you may be interested in, and might do the job for you. Better or worse, don't know, but you might want to check it out. Carry on....

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Yes I'm planning to use the same micro beads in the paint that Joaquin is using, just different paint.

Have a set of 395 tires and MRAP wheels lined up for the truck. Will be picking them up in mid October along with a set of 3 seats from an MRAP. More comfort, cruising speed about 60-65mph, better traction, all good upgrades. Until then the truck upgrades will be smaller things that won't cost much haha.

Have 3 filter mounts on the way. 2 will be used to replace the stock fuel filter setups. The third filter mount will be used for the coolant.

Another low budget upgrade I'd like to do is increase the water fording capability. Not much to worry about with it. Vent lines from the 3 axles/transfer case/transmission, provide some air flow to the bellhousing and a drain valve for it, and the engine intake snorkel. The big issue is the front axle seals, inside the knuckles. The stock seals don't do a good job of keeping the water out of the axle. With how much these axles are used by the rock crawling group I'm sure somebody has found a better set of seals. Not planning to use it as a submarine like they did in this video haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKLGYs8CE8

Gatsma

Adventurer
Yeah, I never could figure out how these engines could hold their breath like that....what? a snorkel? Ohhhhh....
Cool video! Seen people try that with a stock pickup once; did NOT end well....
But at least you know what your truck COULD do; just don't forget the snorkel....

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Picking up the tires in about 2 weeks so just cheap projects till then.

Had to flip the front bumper and pull it out so there would be enough clearance between the radiator and winch. Mounting an 18k pound electric winch.

43eed9826eecd52997bf790640506ed4.jpg

f490d8a8b08cfe47f339349b9dd80a9e.jpg

c740706aefb0ccf43e80987be8db477b.jpg

763980946e31daede59cded24f51926d.jpg

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Forgot to update here. Picked up a set of 46" tires for the truck along with seats. Upgraded the primary fuel filter to a spin on setup and made a filter for the cooling system.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414960803347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414960803347.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 113

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Those 46" Michelins XZLs should drop highway RPM a few revs. Any thoughts on mounting an radio box/CP/shop box like an M-109?

p29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94