Chinook Concours/Baja Capabilities

lndhark

Adventurer
I'm asking this here because I don't know where else it might fit. Seeing as Chinooks are built on E-350 chassis, and about the same size as an ambo, I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask. My wife and I are considering a Sportsmobile but lately the talk of ambo conversions and pictures of Chinooks converted to 4x4 have us considering that as an option (especially the bath/shower from my wife's point of view!).

My only real concern is the capability on certain trails. Soon, we'll be living back west (PNW) and some of the places we like to go are Usal Road, Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, Death Valley/Panamints, Laurel Lakes, etc. I know lots of folks have taken SMB's to those places but what about a larger vehicle like a Chinook? From the looks of it, I'd have to re-work the black/grey water plumbing (looks to hang down pretty low on the driver's side) and likely reduce the rear overhang by modifying the rear bumper and low-hanging tire carrier (and ditch the genset too).

With a U-Joint conversion (and SRW's?), I think a Chinook would make a great camping vehicle that could get to some amazing spots...I just wonder if it's TOO big for our favorite trails. Any input or ideas welcome. Maybe we'll just stick to an EB van but if my wife can have a real shower, she'll want to go more often :wings:

Photo courtesy of Sargentschutt.com:

SES_7486-L.jpg

peneumbra

Explorer
We have a '94 Chinook/E-350 that we converted to 4x4 (before the factory started selling them). We've done extensive travel in it, primarily in the Great Basin - Death Valley region, but also in Utah and Wyoming.

The good part is that there's a lot of room inside, with many amenities: shower, toilet, fridge, three-burner stove, microwave, etc. It is quite off-road capable with proper tires, assuming one knows how to carefully four-wheel.

HOWEVER: there are many drawbacks. The suspension on ours is terrible - very stiff. The brakes, likewise, are totally inadequate. And the gearing (with the 4EOD automatic transmission) is not low enough.

Some or all of these issues may have been addressed in the new Chinook/Baja buildup; I haven't had any experience with them. The new ones are on E-450s, with different transmissions, etc. We had Chinook modify our plumbing so that nothing is too low to the ground, which I think they've included on their 4x4 package. You really need the genset to operate all the features these rigs come with.

If you have additional questions, feel free to PM me.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We've provided a kit for one, would love to build one here! The only Baja models I've seen all had a TTB front suspension, I wouldn't reccomend it for a vehicle this size/weight.

peneumbra

Explorer
I spec'ed a Dana 60 for the front end, which will handle the weight. Another thing I forgot to mention is that integrating the ABS with the straight axle was a real pain. We ended up just pulling the breaker.

peneumbra

Explorer
The Baja setup that the Chinook factory was selling was outrageously expensive, something like $150K. To have them converted is closer to $10,000.

If I had to do it again - and I may have to - i'd spend a little more and buy a used Earthroamer on an F-550, or go all-out and find a pre-owned Unimog with a camper buildup...

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I have an E350 eb and we did section 2 of the WABDR a month or so ago. There was some pretty narrow sections and one spot where a bunch of trees were down and the trail was rerouted. We must have made it through there with less than an inch to spare on each side. A wide body would not have made it.
I was concerned in the beginning with a full size extended van, but most of it was fine. Besides that one part and a low hanging tree, there weren't any other issues. I don't have a big lift either. Ditch the low hanging stuff. We bumped the rear diff cover and started leaking fluid slowly. Need moar clearance!!

derjack

Adventurer
My concern regarding offroad capabilities would be the flex of the body vs. the fiberglass body! would be really sad to bread it offroad.

size is allways relative! A Unimog e.g. is (can be) bigger but it is an instance offroad. For some trails you need nothing bigger than a Jeep.

catmandu

Observer
Come back over.

I sold the sportsmobile and there is now a 1999 Nook sitting in my driveway. I had a couple of concerns on the exterior fiberglass and wanted to get a look at the inside to see if the cracking was superficial or went through. I also had some layout ideas in my head I wanted to play with and as you remove trim and unbolt this and that just to get a look something strange happens and then....it is stripped. By stripped I mean seats out, down to metal in the cab. Going to get the basic treatment of 80 mil fat mat then a rubberized flooring or thin carpet. Camper portion of the interior mostly gone. I am using the fridge right now until my three year old fridge can get fixed (side subject rant on why a 3 year old Kenmore Elite would go kaput after only three years). That is one very good thing about the Nooks, huge fridge and freezer. You can see all details of construction and I will walk you through how I am going to enhance those. The goal is to remove all carpeting which means the rest of the interior portion of the camper (fridge and shower enclosures) need to also come out. Why RV manufactures slap carpet everywhere is beyond me. I know it feels all homey sitting in the RV section of the campground but for a guy like me with two dogs and desires to use the thing all carpet and "press board" have to come out. Press board, or whatever it is called, with fake wood grain over it, should not be installed in a vehicle of any kind. Tearing into this makes me really appreciate the more expensive campers built with substantially enhanced materials.

Based on my cursory view of the construction, it is not going to be able to beat down rough trails but, with the correct suspension and lift, will go most places the majority of users will go. The side glass on mine is thin and would need to be enhanced if you wanted to beat on it. Overall it is going to work well for my intended purposes but the construction is no where near that of some of the bomb-proof ambos or "expedition grade" vehicles.

With that said I am pleased with this unit and it is going to really work well for my needs. It is fully self contained and while the appliances are all RV quality they do work. I was in a couple of nooks during the winter and even though they are poorly insulated compared to what I was hoping they were significantly better than a traditional camper. Even my dislike of carpet and press-board could be disputed as this unit was well loved for 15 years and worked just fine. The newer model nooks are better insulated and constructed but are still not fully up to snuff and for the price differences I am pleased with my rig. And that is where you end up in all measures of toys in life - price differences. I basically swapped my sports mobile for this nook in a three way deal. I got a bit more space, huge fridge, full enclosed shower and bath, on-board generator and some other nice features. I could have used it as it sat just fine. I lost some day to day functionality of the Van but for me this was a good trade-off. Thanks to the folks on this forum I was unable to sleep leaving it and using it as it sat. I had ideas. I had motivation. I wanted to create something. That momentary lapse in reason now puts me several weeks or months from using the thing! Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Regardless, come over and look this thing over so you can decide if one may work for you.

86scotty

Cynic
I did Usal for the first time recently. I would think you could do that in a Chinook, but not without a lot of scratches. I'm a Chinook fan and anxious to see what you come up with.

lndhark

Adventurer
We have a '94 Chinook/E-350 that we converted to 4x4 (before the factory started selling them). We've done extensive travel in it, primarily in the Great Basin - Death Valley region, but also in Utah and Wyoming.

The good part is that there's a lot of room inside, with many amenities: shower, toilet, fridge, three-burner stove, microwave, etc. It is quite off-road capable with proper tires, assuming one knows how to carefully four-wheel.

HOWEVER: there are many drawbacks. The suspension on ours is terrible - very stiff. The brakes, likewise, are totally inadequate. And the gearing (with the 4EOD automatic transmission) is not low enough.

Some or all of these issues may have been addressed in the new Chinook/Baja buildup; I haven't had any experience with them. The new ones are on E-450s, with different transmissions, etc. We had Chinook modify our plumbing so that nothing is too low to the ground, which I think they've included on their 4x4 package. You really need the genset to operate all the features these rigs come with.

If you have additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Thank you very much for the input and sharing your impressions. Who performed the 4x4 conversion?

lndhark

Adventurer
We've provided a kit for one, would love to build one here! The only Baja models I've seen all had a TTB front suspension, I wouldn't reccomend it for a vehicle this size/weight.

Hey Chris. I didn't know that the Baja's were TTB. To be honest, the only conversion I'd consider is yours! We'll see how to work that out once I move west. We'd really like to wait until after we're back out there but if something drops into our laps before we go, maybe we'll swing by NC on our way.

Do you think the NV271 still provides a low enough low-range for a vehicle this size? I can't help but think that having an Atlas would really slow it down and allow more nimble moving...maybe I just got spoiled with my crawler gears in my Toyota but if you think a stock t-case will be okay, we'll likely go that route.

lndhark

Adventurer
I did Usal for the first time recently. I would think you could do that in a Chinook, but not without a lot of scratches. I'm a Chinook fan and anxious to see what you come up with.

It ain't gonna be a showpiece!

BTW, kudos to you for the work you've done on your SMB! I followed along eagerly on the SMB forum and equally loved your trip pics out west.

Usal Road is awesome...just gotta make sure the locals don't spoil it with trash and tearing up the roads...where else on the west coast can you enjoy a secluded beach without diesel pusher motorhomes parked everywhere?

lndhark

Adventurer
I have an E350 eb and we did section 2 of the WABDR a month or so ago. There was some pretty narrow sections and one spot where a bunch of trees were down and the trail was rerouted. We must have made it through there with less than an inch to spare on each side. A wide body would not have made it.
I was concerned in the beginning with a full size extended van, but most of it was fine. Besides that one part and a low hanging tree, there weren't any other issues. I don't have a big lift either. Ditch the low hanging stuff. We bumped the rear diff cover and started leaking fluid slowly. Need moar clearance!!

Thanks Sitebunny...good to know. I'd likely pre-run the WABDR before taking a 'Nook on it. Must carry a chainsaw at all times!

peneumbra

Explorer
Ours was done by Advanced 4x4 in Salt Lake City. They were the only company I could find back then (1994) who did that kind of work.

I would not use them again, based on our experiences...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne