Grill.. Looking for options

I have the gas go-anywhere at home for cooking but for use as a stove; I'd think with the diffused gas bar it would be pretty inefficient to boil water for coffee?????

Sardog1

Observer
I've been using the Volcano Grill for the last two years and am very happy with it. For most trips I just use either charcoal or wood but if I'm feeling especially ambitious, I drop the propane burner in it and toss a 14" wok on top. Works fantastic.image.jpg
image.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Wonder if you dropped a 60k burner in a volcano if it could handle the heat :) times my 30K burner is not hot enough for wok cooking but the shape of the volcano is nice for wok stuff. Hmmmmmmmm

mandingo

Observer
Add another vote for the volcano grill. We use ours when we go camping with whatever sticks/wood we find and if we can't find any free wood we have a bag of charcoal to use or a 5 pound propane tank. The propane option is good for quick cooking without having to dump out ashes or in a hurry and just want to eat and go. I believe it's 25 pounds total weight.

One concern is the carry bag is starting to show its age after three years but it's still in decent shape.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I've got an old version of this - it's lasted a really long time. Cool thing is I load it up with match light charcoal before I go which saves some space.

It's a charcoal grill that works really well. It's compact and very portable. Can be put on table or on the ground.

Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill

Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill-0.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416420045&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+grill

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
instead of a grill we have been using baskets. start a wood fire ,get it down to the coals.2 baskets for steaks,pork chops,chicken.one larger basket for grilled vegetables or potatoes
works great ,little cleanup

jm2c

kp

hwc1954

Another satisfied Weber Go Anywhere Charcoal fan. I put together this rig for camping, including the cast iron grates:

And a couple of action shots in Bar Harbor, ME:

wga1_zps4ff5fa0d.jpg

wga3_zps448ef1b5.jpg

This thing travels really well. Seals up tight with the lid on and vents closed. Easily packable rectangular form. Based on my fifty years of experience with various Weber charcoal grills, I expect this one to last for a very long time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a coworker that uses a Volcano religiously (for real; he's Morman) for disaster preparedness and he swears by it. Turned him onto the wonders of anodized aluminum Dutch ovens recently and he's rocking them inside the Volcano.

I've also been wanting one of these to grill veggies on: http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

perkj

Explorer

Looking good! Now you just need the propane sister version of the grill for those fire/charcoal restriction days! BTW - I have that weber table as well and love it.

The same guy I had make the SS Flavorizer plate for the propane version, that I talked about in my earlier post in this thread, made me a one-off 3/8" rod SS grill grate for the WGA. I came up with the basic design and fitment dimensions. I opted to design it as a split grate much like the CI grate offered by Craycort. Once I handed over the design, he worked his magic with 3/8" stainless rods to make it a reality. I had to make the final cut (angle grinder with a cutting disc) on the corner radius since he doesn't have access to a WGA and I wanted to ensure a perfect fit. As you'll see from below it turned out awesome! They are just has heavy, if not heavier, than the CI Craycord grates. Can't want to get some cooks on them. =)

IMG_3366.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3369.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bearman512

Adventurer
Been using a Volcano for almost 4 years now. I cannot think of anything bad to say about it. Wood, charcoal, propane plus dutch oven means you can cook just about anything you want on the trail.

rlynch356

Defyota
The Volcano looks very interesting esp since it can do it all (3 fuels) in one package.
My wife bought a coleman propane one for me on sale somewhere - better size than the the weber Q - I'm going to try it this weekend but in reality that one and the Q are going on the cusp of being exiled from the island.
My snow peak fireplace / grill is better as a fire pit and has no propane option which i do now want - i'm keeping it for sure, but mostly as a fire pit for remove sites/Y guides camping.

Which Aluminum Dutch oven, Hilldweller?

bearman512

Adventurer
The main reason I went with the Volcano is when the wind is over 30 mph nothing will cook except the Volcano on propane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94