Wine storage solution

evaliquette

Observer
Ok, I am overly impressed by the creativity of the folks on these boards. I am looking to build a drawer system in the back of my Wrangler JKU. But one thing is missing from these posts people: integrated wine racks! Bring it on...

robert

Expedition Leader
You can actually get some decent wine in bags now. That said I generally still buy bottles. I have a closed cell foam sleeve I slide the bottle in to keep it from breaking; no problems so far.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im addicted to black box wines.

The malbec is fantastic!

Each box equals FOUR bottles :ylsmoke:

9ecee6f1d181a02a16419ebe9baf057d.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Reds with a couple of years of bottle age produce sediment, and it would be stirred up by vehicle motion. Even with careful decanting, the flavor of the wine will likely be different. So leave your 1982 Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande at home, and drink a boxed red with your cowboy chili.

AndrewP

Explorer
Im addicted to black box wines.

The malbec is fantastic!

Each box equals FOUR bottles :ylsmoke:

9ecee6f1d181a02a16419ebe9baf057d.jpg

I agree. Very decent wine and it travels well. It isn't great, just good. The Malbec has been their best.

A lot depends on the length of the trip. A few days, get the box. 2 weeks, bring some nice wines.

I like the idea of dedicated wine storage in an off road truck.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You can get wine bottle sleeves that are made out of neoprene (wetsuit material). They have worked 100% for me.

bg900_hntr.jpg

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Personally, I'd refrain from building a wine rack into a vehicle simply due to heat. Heat will kill your wine! I think that's the most important thing to keep in mind.

cooler_zpsf9e2f162.jpg

When we travel with wine, we either put them in coolers with ice packs (keeps heat AND light out), or if we're camping and don't want to bring bottles, we bought a few Platypus pouches and will fill them with and get all the air out. They're resealable, too.

Also, an electric fridge is also a great way to keep your wine at a cool, constant temperature.

evaliquette

Observer
Being Canadian, heat is not much of an issue and being French Canadian, I think we gave some kind of rule against boxed wine. I'm sure I've seen something on my birth certificate. I'll have to dig it up. Something about boxed wine is the devil or something or other. Kidding (almost) aside, I like your travel case idea 4x4BNB. The original thought was to build something fun and useful at the same time

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Useful...lol. We use it to prop up the dog's bed in the front seat area....serves double purpose :). For us....

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'm considering this too for our Sprinter build.

I totally agree that the box wines can be good.....but........we have also discovered many random wineries on our travels! This of course leads to wine tasting and the purchase of wine in bottles. Some makes it home, some doesn't!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I bought a 4-pack of the Platypus Platypreserve wine bags:
WineGlassPlaty.jpg

These get squished into the corners or gaps of the dry-goods tub. (Plus one white directly into the fridge to keep the Mrs. happy as soon as camp is setup.) The nice thing about these vs. buying wine directly in a bag is that you can reload along your trip if you happen to travel through wine country (as we do, often.) I've amused a lot of winery owners who will happily help me decant a couple of bottles into these mid-trip. Saves carrying the bottles and we get to drink lots of fun stuff.

The bags plus a set of GSI stemless wine tumblers are what first had people throwing the word "Glamper" in my direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94