Wine storage solution

Bobmog

Observer
Wine in cans

Here is a pretty good wine available in cans.

shop.unionwinecompany.com/collections/underwood/products/underwood-pinot-in-a-can

Bob

evaliquette

Observer
This is what I have done.

DSC04744_zps13681963.jpg

DSC04743_zpsf2c1fd66.jpg

Enough room for two bottles of wine and one bottle of Scotch!

Now you're just showing off

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I bought a 4-pack of the Platypus Platypreserve wine bags:
WineGlassPlaty.jpg

These get squished into the corners or gaps of the dry-goods tub. (Plus one white directly into the fridge to keep the Mrs. happy as soon as camp is setup.) The nice thing about these vs. buying wine directly in a bag is that you can reload along your trip if you happen to travel through wine country (as we do, often.) I've amused a lot of winery owners who will happily help me decant a couple of bottles into these mid-trip. Saves carrying the bottles and we get to drink lots of fun stuff.

The bags plus a set of GSI stemless wine tumblers are what first had people throwing the word "Glamper" in my direction.

They work great, it is what I use when backpacking. never leak, seems to keep the wine well

evaliquette

Observer
I bought a 4-pack of the Platypus Platypreserve wine bags:
WineGlassPlaty.jpg

These get squished into the corners or gaps of the dry-goods tub. (Plus one white directly into the fridge to keep the Mrs. happy as soon as camp is setup.) The nice thing about these vs. buying wine directly in a bag is that you can reload along your trip if you happen to travel through wine country (as we do, often.) I've amused a lot of winery owners who will happily help me decant a couple of bottles into these mid-trip. Saves carrying the bottles and we get to drink lots of fun stuff.

The bags plus a set of GSI stemless wine tumblers are what first had people throwing the word "Glamper" in my direction.

Bought these today and looking forward to using them. If this doesn't work, the next step will be those 80 L tanks people keep talking about in these forums. Oh wait, that's for water. Damm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Switch

Observer
I noticed that two 32 ounce Nalgene copolyester wide mouth bottles will hold exactly three 750ml bottles of wine. When I say exactly, I mean completely topped off so the wine does not get exposed to too much oxygen when stored this way - just a little "breathing" during the decanting process.

Using Nalgene bottles reduces weight and eliminates the possibility of broken glass. Also by decanting the wine beforehand, you won't shake sediment back into your wine during transportation.

Note:
  • I've found though extensive research that while 750ml is the right size "bottle" at home, 1125ml is the perfect size "bottle" when camping :).
  • Be sure to use Nalgene copolyester NOT polyethylene bottles. The polyethylene bottles are harder to clean and are smaller.
  • The narrow mouth 32 oz Nalgene copolyester bottles are slightly larger than the wide mouth bottles so you will you'll get more oxygen exposure than with the wide mouth but they are easier to pour.
  • I get my Nalgene bottles at the thrift store for $2 each.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Traveling with wine isn't the issue for me, keeping the wine glass from breaking is. So far I've been lucky. It's wrapped and well packed in the kitchen supplies box. Just can't see going to all the work of bringing wine only to drink it out of a plastic goblet :)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Traveling with wine isn't the issue for me, keeping the wine glass from breaking is. So far I've been lucky. It's wrapped and well packed in the kitchen supplies box. Just can't see going to all the work of bringing wine only to drink it out of a plastic goblet :)

Have you considered some of the stainless glasses? I know a few companies offer those. Super durable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles