Building sliders, where to locate main rail?

guestwho

Observer
Hi guys, so I'm building some sliders out of 2x2" .120 wall tubing for my 2003 4runner. I'm not a rock crawler, but I'd like them for a just in case moment. I'm not sure exactly where I should put the main tube of the sliders relative to the body, both how far out from the frame and how high up or down. My car has a pinch seam in the body that sticks down an extra inch, so I'm wondering how I should account for this seam. In the attached pictures, the bar is higher than the bottom of the frame.

Thanks guys.
IMAG0180.jpgIMAG0182.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'd say (my own opinion) to put the outer edge of the slider as far out as the widest part of your body. Not all vehicles body panels are perfectly vertical, some bow out curved a little bit outward, so put your sliders that far out. This way if you need to use your hi-lift on them you won't have the body getting in the way.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Be sure to leave enough clearance between that pinch rail and the slider. The slider mounts to the frame, the body is on bushings and moves a lot when off roading. If it's too close, it will hit which causes a horrible noise inside the truck. Don't ask me how I know this, LOL. If you are going to use the slider as a step and/or to protect the sides of your truck let them stick out far enough to work. If you only want them to protect your sills, tuck them in.

Kyron

Locate the main tube under that pinch seam. That seam is very strong and will support the weight of your 4runner, space the tube like 1/4" under from it...... Then have another tube spaced out and higher from the main tube to protect the body and act like a step.....

When I made my sliders (10yrs ago) I pretty much coppied 4crawlers :bowdown: , My sliders main bar is now the floor of my "buggy"

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'd say (my own opinion) to put the outer edge of the slider as far out as the widest part of your body. Not all vehicles body panels are perfectly vertical, some bow out curved a little bit outward, so put your sliders that far out. This way if you need to use your hi-lift on them you won't have the body getting in the way.

This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior