Who wants to own a 70's Series Cruiser that isn't 25 Years Old????

zimm

Expedition Leader
It doesn't matter if this petition won't actually change the law. The point is that based on his own rules and practices if the petition gains more than 100k signatures in the required 30 days President Obama HAS to release a public statement in response. I for one want to hear what he has to say on the matter, and nail him down to an official position. That is the very start and the only way to move forward with getting a legislator to introduce a bill that will change it.

Knowing what the President's official position is will make it easier to people legitimately trying to change this to craft their arguments and strategies, as well as design the legislation to address issues that will come up.

i for one would find it it distressing if the POTUS had the time to give a **** about something as trivial as the 25 year car limit. 5 minutes contemplating this is 5 minutes not spent on something important.

dont forget, things such as this dont always work out like you want. if the timeline is put on the table for change, dont think that those that want to eliminate ALL old cars wont see and push to stop ALL importation of aged vehicles opn the grounds that we dont need more stinky unsafe cars than we already have. just like wile e coyote, when you go and cut the rope on the trebuchet, the rock doesnt always land where you aimed it.

clandr1

Adventurer
i for one would find it it distressing if the POTUS had the time to give a **** about something as trivial as the 25 year car limit. 5 minutes contemplating this is 5 minutes not spent on something important.

dont forget, things such as this dont always work out like you want. if the timeline is put on the table for change, dont think that those that want to eliminate ALL old cars wont see and push to stop ALL importation of aged vehicles opn the grounds that we dont need more stinky unsafe cars than we already have. just like wile e coyote, when you go and cut the rope on the trebuchet, the rock doesnt always land where you aimed it.

Hey, the government was the first one to give a ******** (enacting this BS rule), so they've made it their problem to address. This is a perfect example of why we should endorse limited government. They tend to get their tentacles into all sorts of crap they have no business dealing with.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Hey, the government was the first one to give a ******** (enacting this BS rule), so they've made it their problem to address. This is a perfect example of why we should endorse limited government. They tend to get their tentacles into all sorts of crap they have no business dealing with.

sorry, no. The government has EVERY business dealing with this. I have absolutely no problem with an import ban, one is absolutely necessary. My issue is that 25 years is unreasonable, and not in-line with what most other developed countries use. I wouldn't support a ban of less than 15 years though.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
The 1HZ is a truly AMAZING engine and with a LOW pressure turbo on it, possibly one of the best "overland" engines ever made... And leaf springs are not always a "negative" in my book.

Sadly, even thought I've signed it, I have little faith this will force the powers that be to change anything. Protecting "the big 3" and making "crash standards" about simply paying for the testing (read: crazy money. Lets face it, if a Smart car can pass crash tests a 70-series can) is more important then giving citizens the freedom to choose/drive what they want. Sadly the average American driver is so poorly equipped in terms of understanding vehicles and driving/paying attention in general they they simply buy the garbage we're offered and accept it as "good enough". I'm already building my own Diesel Toyota, but I sure would be stoked to see more 70's come in to the US in general aye... Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I never understand why you can buy and ride a motorcycle but your truck must meet these crash test standards..... kind of funny... I cannot take the doors off my Jeep and drive on the street, but I can ride a 150hp motorcycle???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior