People always ask me why I stick with Ford.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Personally I think Fords are just low spec limit quality at the lowest cost vehicles much like Korean cars. They look great now but just don't hold up well with the test of time..

Certainly that's your opinion. The many family & I have owned don't bear that out at all.

I won't disagree about a low point in their products around the time frame you mention though (mid-late-'90s to mid '00s). It was during that time I guess they must of brought in some new designer who was stuck on fugly rounded & bubbly designs which cost them their #1-selling sedan crown the first model year after a Taurus redesign, and strained sales of the redesigned F-150 (and I think Explorer too) in that time frame as well (the spark plugs firing through the hood and 6.0L diesel issues that came later were just the icing on the cake lol). I think it was simply luck in timing Ford was able to take advantage of loans GM and Chrysler couldn't. Fortunately family or myself doesn't own anything from that particular time period other than a '03 E-450 (which I think '02 or '03 was when they resolved the spark plug thing on Triton motors? We've had no trouble with it anyway other than it mysteriously dying in the first mile or so of a trip maybe 3 or 4 times... Turn the key to restart and "Vroom", we're off again, never to have it happen again for a year or more :confused: ).

beags86

Adventurer
Must be why Ford has been the number one selling truck for 30 years.

I was talking engine technology, your talking trucks..and the post below yours proves you wrong to boot. Funny I don't see mod motors being swapped in to Carmaros but someone is swapping an LS in a fox daily. Enough said.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I was talking engine technology, your talking trucks..and the post below yours proves you wrong to boot. Funny I don't see mod motors being swapped in to Carmaros but someone is swapping an LS in a fox daily. Enough said.

Only a fool swaps an LS into a Fox Body or Fox Chassis. Engine costs more than the car and sounds horrible. Plenty of great engines available for those cars. I'd swap in a 400HP Al block 347 or a mod 32v 4.6L.

:Wow1:Average age of the posters in the thread just dropped to 13.:Wow1: "My truck can beat up your truck."

"Americas best selling truck" is the worst sales pitch ever. FYI, stupid people seem to outnumber us in America now. At least 2 to 1. So why would anything popular actually be good?

Why does BMW sell the X5 when they know it's crap, because there's a market for that in the US. Ford and GM make plenty of rubbish as well, because that's what people want.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I'd trade my Expy on a Japanese large SUV without much thinking about it - I'd trust it more, mechanically.

CodyY

Explorer
Only a fool swaps an LS into a Fox Body or Fox Chassis. Engine costs more than the car and sounds horrible. Plenty of great engines available for those cars. I'd swap in a 400HP Al block 347 or a mod 32v 4.6L.

qahunuje.jpg

CodyY

Explorer
This thread sure did deteriorate fast... :(
I was being serious
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

I've raced them both professionally in SCCA World Challenge and Grand-Am Cup. The Camaro stays together after 7700 rpm missed shifts, the Mustang has the ring gear bolts back out on the sighting lap of the first race, drops a valve for no apparent reason backing out of the trailer, and has "intermittent" abs failures on the track, at speed, for no reason at all. Oh, and don't run the glove box cover or you'll over heat the ecm, and don't run the fancy BOSS blue covers on the motor, the coil packs will melt.

In my shop right now are a 2005 F150 with 140k and a dropped valve, and a 2001 suburban with 313,000 miles that needs an ac compressor.

Have you towed a Ford lately? Or attempted to change the spark plugs?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
As I said, this thread has deteriorated.

Just like in politics, people find the facts that support their beliefs and ignore the rest. (Can you say "global warming"? Or, I mean "climate change".)

The OP was talking about why he sticks with Fords. Regular Fords - not racing, not mod motors - just more or less stock vehicles. The ones 99% percent of the people drive (of any make.)

No one (from the Ford camp, or any other) has mentioned how long their vehicles have lasted, and how much repair work was needed. Sure, the business of the company is something that should be considered, no matter what product you are purchasing. But, so should the quality of the as manufactured product.

Some of these responses make me feel that this is pirate... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier