People always ask me why I stick with Ford.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I don't see anything comparable to pirate in here...just some fun ribbing...
This thread had trolling written all over it from the beginning...:smiley_drive:

CodyY

Explorer
As I said, this thread has deteriorated.

Just like in politics, people find the facts that support their beliefs and ignore the rest. (Can you say "global warming"? Or, I mean "climate change".)

The OP was talking about why he sticks with Fords. Regular Fords - not racing, not mod motors - just more or less stock vehicles. The ones 99% percent of the people drive (of any make.)

No one (from the Ford camp, or any other) has mentioned how long their vehicles have lasted, and how much repair work was needed. Sure, the business of the company is something that should be considered, no matter what product you are purchasing. But, so should the quality of the as manufactured product.

Some of these responses make me feel that this is pirate... :(

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

According to this FoMoCo sells 2 x as many trucks as cars. If only HALF of those are V8 powered, then it's easy to say that a majority of all ford's sold (cant forget all those Crown Vic's) are powered by a mod (aka modular, not "modified") motor. 4.6, 5.0, 5.4, 6.2 variants produced since 1996. All of which are of the overhead camshaft variety, all of which are prone to cam phaser failures and seized spark plugs.

Also, in production based racing classes we run production motors. Straight off the assembly line. The only allowed "upgrades" are a stiffer valvespring, chromoly retainers, and ARP rod bolts. Factory cams, factory exhaust manifolds, factory airbox, factory transmission and gear ratios. It's not about horsepower. It's about setup and longevity.

5egebe8e.jpg

8amu7yqu.jpg

ajy5y2u5.jpg

And this is nowhere near Pirate, I'm restraining myself from my usual ADV -esque repertoire

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The OP was talking about why he sticks with Fords. Regular Fords - not racing, not mod motors - just more or less stock vehicles. The ones 99% percent of the people drive (of any make.)

No one (from the Ford camp, or any other) has mentioned how long their vehicles have lasted, and how much repair work was needed. Sure, the business of the company is something that should be considered, no matter what product you are purchasing. But, so should the quality of the as manufactured product.

:(

I've got about 600,000 miles on Fords and almost 400,000 on GM's in the field. I pick the Fords based on that experience. We scrap the GM's at 180,000 miles. Truth be told, both the Ford and GM vehicles get us home better than the imports. (Plenty of my customers with Titans/Tundras) The new domestic engines are much improved IME. No real failures with any of the gasoline engines. It's the trucks setup, not the engine reliability, that sway my preference.

Racing's a different game. But I'd have no problem putting a properly built, by me, 347 in anything.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I sold my sold my first f150 when I was in college to get a more fuel friendly Buick. Big mistake. The F150 had the amazing inline 6 and had well over 200000 miles when I let it go. The Buick on the other hand drove me crazy. For years my dad told he see my old truck around town towing a cement mixer. For me that was a lesson learned.

This is fight that will never end. GM guys bash Ford guys and the other way around. For every guy that says Ford builds **** that dosent last there is another that says the same about GM. This is good to me it only drives manufacturers to build better products. That is just my. 02 cents.

Its so adorable how heated these silly discussions get on who is better. Who took money etc...

I suppose one could ask the "what if" questions.

What if Ford did not take out any loans to re-tool factories?

What if Toyota Did not borrow several billions?

What if GM was never "bailed out" (aka loaned money).

It really does not matter. All the manufacturers need government assistance. We need them and they need us. There is no dignity in using verbal gymnastics to try and place your brand above another.

But for the sake of stirring the pot I have operated all major brands in what I believe to be the harshest conditions on the planet ( Afghanistan/Iraq). Only ONE product stands out in reliability, durability and capability (especially armored). That manufacturer is Toyota.

This is my subjective opinion based on observation, as a mechanic, and as I real world user of these products.

We can however fit several more Missiles for transport in the back of a Super duty and with much more elbow room in the cab than the yota.

I sold my sold my first f150 when I was in college to get a more fuel friendly Buick. Big mistake. The F150 had the amazing inline 6 and had well over 200000 miles when I let it go. The Buick on the other hand drove me crazy. For years my dad told he see my old truck around town towing a cement mixer. For me that was a lesson learned.

This is fight that will never end. GM guys bash Ford guys and the other way around. For every guy that says Ford builds **** that dosent last there is another that says the same about GM. This is good to me it only drives manufacturers to build better products. That is just my. 02 cents.

Friend of mine and I took his F150 up past the arctic circle hunting once. Bone stock, straight stick 5 speed. Truck was unstoppable even in -45 degree temps!

What I love about the trip is how we did not agonize about suspension, spare parts and performance. We simply threw about 4 spare tires in the back, some food and water and just went. It was great! These trucks are ALL getting better and better. Well said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne