Bottle Jack Vs Stock Jack

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
The other night I had a flat on my 05 F150 and discovered that my jack was broken. I want to replace it with a Hi Lift but unfortunately that's not in the budget. I was thinking of a 6 ton Bottle jack or should I go to the Bone yard and get a factory scissor Jack?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I would take a bottle jack with an adequate secondary base plate (chunk of steel plate) over a high lift nearly any day of the week. The only time you get into trouble with a bottle jack is in really off camber situations where a high-lift would cause just as much trouble. For maybe 95% of your tire changing situations the bottle jack will be faster and safer. Throw an X Jack in the kit when money allows and you'll cover the other 5% with style.

SG

superbuickguy

Explorer
I guess I'm the cautionary one here... I suspect you're talking walmart or harbor freight jacks. They are not reliable, I've had several of those jacks and they have: split in half, leaked all the fluid out (x4), and (the most fun one) rather than stopping at its limit, popped out the top (more specifically, fell over and out of the base). Even putting those issues aside, bottle jacks are unstable on anything but flat, solid ground... hi-lift jacks are cheap (less than $50), and the knock off ones are nearly as cheap as the cheap bottle jacks. Of course, they're unstable too and can take your teeth out if you do it wrong - but it's so much more of a jack, so much more useful, and honestly - cheap is great for anvils - not so much for things that will put your life at risk if they unexpectedly fail.

155mm

Adventurer
A floor jack would be safer than either the bottle jack or Hi Lift.

The Harbor Freight aluminum floor jacks have good reviews across the web. I haven't had a problem with my 3-ton. You would need to get at least the 2-ton for an F-150, skip the 1.5 ton.

155mm

Adventurer
I guess I'm the cautionary one here... I suspect you're talking walmart or harbor freight jacks. They are not reliable, I've had several of those jacks and they have: split in half, leaked all the fluid out (x4), and (the most fun one) rather than stopping at its limit, popped out the top (more specifically, fell over and out of the base). Even putting those issues aside, bottle jacks are unstable on anything but flat, solid ground... hi-lift jacks are cheap (less than $50), and the knock off ones are nearly as cheap as the cheap bottle jacks. Of course, they're unstable too and can take your teeth out if you do it wrong - but it's so much more of a jack, so much more useful, and honestly - cheap is great for anvils - not so much for things that will put your life at risk if they unexpectedly fail.

I'm not sure how it's safer to advocate using a hi lift instead of a bottle or floor jack... You shouldn't be crawling under any vehicle supported by any jack, and out of those three options, the hi lift is the most likely to cause injury while in use.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
HI Lift

a high lift might get ya if your not paying attention, but it should be in every offroaders arsenal, it is so much more than just a jack, it can be used for clamping or spreading, as well as pulling yourself out of a ditch, they are unstable but that can sometimes be an advantage if you know how to use them, if your diffed on a big rock you can jack your rig up and then let it picot off the highlift to get unstuck, the possibilities are endless, you can even use the handle to ward off those forest creatures your scared of.:sombrero:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I keep seeing DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson warnings about Hi-Lift jacks. Any jack used improperly can get you if you're not paying attention. All a Hi-Lift is is a bumper jack on steroids. All cars use to come with bumper jacks. Whatever you get, learn how to use it and you'll be fine. Personally I have a Hi-Lift with a Liftmate and ORK kit. It's mainly for getting out of jams. I also have a bottle jack mainly for changing a tire. I said mainly for both. The idea is I have options when now help is around.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I keep seeing DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson warnings about Hi-Lift jacks.

They are very dangerous - I can think of about 6 people I know that have been hurt by them. I carry one, and am very, very cautious when using it, but it has still put me in dangerous situations with all caution being used. I think that Bogert kit would be a better choice for jacking tasks.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I carry all three. a bottle(actually 2), a hi lift or farm jack if you bought it when I did, and a floor jack. have used them all at one time or another. depends on the situation. all jacks are dangerous if not used correctly, just like any tool. highdesertranger

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Get the Ford F350 superduty bottle jack from a junkyard. No hydraulics, just gear, and tons of throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94