Tapered "parabolic" springs

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
Hey!
I know there are plenty of places around that offer custom leaf spring applications, however, all of the ones I've contacted here in the states won't manufacture "parabolic" leafs for my land rover 101. There is a company in the uk that can make them, but they would have to be limited production and would cost an arm, a leg, and probably a first born child to have them made and shipped.

Does anyone know if and where you can Get parabolic springs made in the states?

Thanks

Redranger90

They could be. The parabolics offer a bit more flexibility in terms of articulation. The issue for me is that the stock parabolics in my truck are rated as a 1ton truck. So if you're hauling 2500 lbs of shoot, they work great. Running empty, the thing is crazy stiff. The hatstee springs I mentioned earlier are still rated for the same amount of weigh but offer much more flex

101-06.JPG

101-0001.JPG

They also offer a much smoother ride, which is why they use them on busses and stuff

Getting a set of regular springs would work fine, but if I can find a place to get parabolics for a similar price, I might be inclined to go with the parabolics

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That makes sense. If your weight is consistent custom leaves are easy, Hauling loads changes everything. The leaf spring manufacturers I have worked with all start from flat, arched blanks.

Redranger90

I suppose an alternative may be using leafs like you said, with airbag helpers for when under a load

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm not aware of anyone manufacturing parabolic springs in the US, I think that business has all gone offshore - would love someone to prove me wrong though.

There's still some good custom leaf spring manufacturers around, and there are folks that will make custom coil springs but there is usually a fairly good sized minimum order for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior